July 2019 Moms

Calm Mamas / Mental Health - December Checkin

This is a place to seek and offer support amongst other women on this journey. Feel free to discuss different tactics for calming your nerves with meditation, yoga, therapy, gentle exercise or other helpful practices. If you feel you need to share some pertinent personal information that could be stressful or triggering for other women, please note with a *TW explanation* and Spoiler (select text, click paragraph button and select 'spoiler'). 

How are you doing lately? 

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety?

What are your goals for the next few weeks? 

Questions/comments/concerns? 

Re: Calm Mamas / Mental Health - December Checkin

• How are you doing lately? 
    I’ve just been so sick, so that’s been a downer for sure. I’ve been a bit irritable as well, probably from lack of food and hormones! 

Setting healthy boundaries in my life! This is a must with family/friends and of course my job. I am actually a therapist!

Get through this morning sickness so I can eat real food, WANT to spend time with people, start exercising, and being able to work each day without worrying about getting sick. 

Mostly related to being sick, but I’ll make it! 
  • I've been super sick and super stressed. I thought having 2 good ultrasounds at 7+0 and 9+0 would calm me down but nope. If anything I'm more worried.

I've been taking time for myself when I need it. I'm actually using sick days when I'm sick and putting myself and baby ahead of my job for once. Also the many ultrasounds and appointments are making me at least feel proactive about everything. 

My goals are to get through the next few weeks of work so I can relax a bit over the holidays and to try to be a little bit calmer at my us and OB appointments. 

Nope...unless anyone has found a substitute for drinking water that doesn't make them throw up:/
  • Loading the player...
  • @Panaceia the only thing that has helped me drink water is eating salty stuff, which I don’t know if that defeats the purpose 😂

• I’ve been tired and have some nausea, but am doing ok. 

I’ve been trying to take time to walk on the treadmill and sometimes read in the evening.

My goal would be to be more consistent with this and to try to avoid imagining the future too much to the point that I get anxious.
  • How are you doing lately?  Stressed to the max. I'm normally a very patient person, but my hormones have me worked up over everything. Work has been crazy busy since mid November with no signs of letting up. I haven't been able to let go like I usually do.  The poor quality sleep isn't helping either. I'm just so exhausted I can't cope like normal.

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? I've continued to exercise which always helps and I've gone to bed early basically every night. 

What are your goals for the next few weeks? Try and get to Christmas. No one in my family knows yet, so my normal support system (other than DH) isn't available right now. I also want to hit the "more energized" stage of the second trimester I keep hearing about. 

Questions/comments/concerns? Sadly, I've realized that alcohol played a big part in my after work wind down. When I had a stressful day (which wasn't every day) I'd poor myself a drink and let go. Not being able to do that has taken its toll and I'm less able to wind down in the evening. 
  • @cindler when I’m not nauseous, I definitely miss having a glass of red wine! 🍷 I’m hoping that I forget about wine as time goes on, lol. Luckily I don’t like any other alcohol, so that helps. I also miss my Tretinoin cream, best anti-acne/anti-aging product! 😂
  • How are you doing lately? Much better!

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? I've been seeing a therapist who focuses on moms every other week, just to talk through anxiety and stresses. It's more of an accountability partner than anything, but it's also nice to vent!

What are your goals for the next few weeks? I'm working on de-busying my life. Cutting unnecessary obligations and finding ways to make other tasks easier. I found a SAHM who hires out as a mother's helper and she meal planned for a week for me, and then went grocery shopping and prepped all the meals. I came home today to a stocked fridge and was able to cook a healthy meal from scratch (something that relaxes me but that I haven't really had a chance to do) in no time. This is such a game changer for me and a stress reliever. I'm so happy I found her.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tsa208 that is such a great idea! I hate grocery shopping/meal prep soooooo much
  • I have been feeling pretty rough lately. I think the combination of going off my anxiety meds + feeling yucky is taking its toll and I am so afraid of having a depressive episode. I think I'm going to try to schedule a therapy appointment soon.

Aside from therapy, I want to start exercising more. It helps but I feel so tired, dizzy, and nauseous I just haven't done anything lately. 

Goals are to make it through 1st tri. Lol. 

@cindler I miss wine too. And coffee, which is not at all appealing to me right now. It just feels like nothing helps.
  • edited December 2018
    How are you doing lately? I’ve been ok. Going to talk to my ob about some prenatal depression signs I’ve been feeling lately hopefully I can stay proactive and keep it in check.  

What have you been practicing to ease your stress/anxiety? Combination of yoga and meditation has helped me a lot. I found a couple of guided meditation series that have really been helping me. I’m looking to add some medications possibly to the mix soon as well.

What are your goals for the next few weeks? Get my depression in check and not let things I have no control over bother me so much. It’s been a little rough navigating all the emotions starting to come back after my last birth. It was pretty traumatic and I’m starting to doubt if I can do this again. Praying I’ll be able to stay strong and not continue to doubt myself and my strength. I’m meeting with my therapist next week to discuss things I can do now to start getting ahead of these thoughts and feelings.

Questions/comments/concerns? Am I crazy to think I might have some ptsd from my last labor and delivery? It was really traumatic and I don’t want to relive it and go into details. I carry so much guilt for what my husband had to go through alone with the twins and me, while I was fighting for my life. 
  • @hellmanpartyof5 what guided meditation are you doing?

Yesterday I just couldn't handle life. Between work stress and home stress I had a total meltdown. I cried for probably two hours and then passed out from exhaustion. I've had very fitful sleep the last couple of nights. DH is going through a rough time too and I hate that I haven't been there for him which makes me feel worse. It's going to be a rough 7 more months if it continues like this.
  • @hellmanpartyof5 Not crazy at all.  I hope you and your therapist can work through some things to help <3
  • I have a lot of anxiety of this NT scan next week. It popped up out of nowhere! I was also really anxious about my first u/s to make sure that everything was in the right place. I think that the fact that we are about to announce after the NT scan is finally hitting me, and I’m terrified that something will happen and we’ll have to “un-tell” everyone.

Anyone else noticing a surge in anxiety? I’m 11+1 and have also been on edge lately and hormonal. Lol. 
  • Do any of you mamas take any benzo type drugs for severe anxiety/panic? I have had a prescription for Klonopin for years and years only for emergency use, but it's a no-no when pregnant. I was wondering if there were any other fast acting drugs for sudden onset panic attacks that your doctors have approved. I have my first OB appt next week and will be asking about it. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • rgn12 said:
    I have a lot of anxiety of this NT scan next week. It popped up out of nowhere! I was also really anxious about my first u/s to make sure that everything was in the right place. I think that the fact that we are about to announce after the NT scan is finally hitting me, and I’m terrified that something will happen and we’ll have to “un-tell” everyone.

Anyone else noticing a surge in anxiety? I’m 11+1 and have also been on edge lately and hormonal. Lol. 
    I had this feeling the week before my NT scan, the few days prior were hell! I couldn’t focus on anything, even a tv show. I had my scan Monday and if it’s any comfort the anxiety went away and I feel relieved. From talking to some others the anxiety is really common before the 12 week scan.

im trying to put any negative thoughts out of my mind and focus on the present, as hard as that is to do sometimes! Meditation, exercise and getting also plenty of sleep is helping.
  • How are you doing lately? 
    Not great, physical symptoms are taking a toll on my mental health. I feel completely beat down and not like myself at all. Feelings of hopelessness about ever feeling better are starting to creep in and I fear being physically and emotionally miserable for the rest of the pregnancy. 

It is less stress/anxiety and more sadness, lethargy. I try to take naps and eat well, and do easy things I enjoy like watching tv. A good solid cry also helps. 

Start to feel more like myself, fake it till I make it if I have to. Even if that means pushing myself to clean and organize a task until I collapse. Oh, and for the extreme nausea to GO AWAY ALREADY!

Is anyone else really struggling at work? I work from home, and even then I have had to call out a few days because I just couldn't manage. My productivity is declining and that is causing me more stress.