April 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Crib Accessories

By request!

Sheets: Give us the pros and cons of what you have, or ask about what you want. What fabric do you like? How many do you really need? Is there anything you love? Is there other relevant info?

Waterproof Mattress Protectors: Do you lay something plastic down to keep the mattress from soaking up pee? Fitted or flat? Does it work? Does it wash? Paste links.

Mobiles/Music/Wake-up lights: Do you have anything to put the baby to sleep, or to let your toddler know not to wake you up? What’s the music selection like? What’s the battery life like? What other info should we know?

Blankets/Quilts: pimp your favorite cute Etsy store here.

Bumpers: mandatory safety info: https://www.thebump.com/a/crib-bumper-safety Beyond that, if you use, what do you like about them?

FTMs: when you look at this stuff, what’s overwhelming or confusing? Ask away!

Want to discuss something else? Recommend it here, or second some recs by loving someone’s post (I’ll try to prioritize): https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12734953/product-spotlights-upcoming-or-requests

All product spotlights can be resurrected at any time for further discussion - type “Product Spotlight” into the search bar at the bottom of the page to find previous threads.

Re: Product Spotlight: Crib Accessories

• Options
    FTM so no real advice but
    Fitted mattress protector for Graco Pack n Play
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J9L92LI?colid=2G138VG3C3TM8&coliid=I2ITSCFWJIQML8&ref=br_mb_ov_item_detail
    I'm getting 2.
  • Options
    I preferred the fitted mattress protectors vs the flat ones because they stayed on better. Make sure you have 2 or 3 for when you need to wash them. Sometimes(if I remembered) I would layer: mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet, for quick middle of the night changes

With DD we got the whole fancy bedding set and only used the sheets and crib skirt. So with DS I was smarter and only purchased sheets and a crib skirt and then made my own blanket for him 

Sheets; I’ve had regular, T-shirt material, flannel,  and minky material. They all work just as good. I do like the flannel and minky in the winter since you can’t use blankets

DD loves basic lullaby music and DS didn’t really like anything. We had a sound machine but it didn’t seem to make a difference. DS does sleep better with a ceiling fan on.  

Both my kiddos weren’t impressed with mobiles but looking back it’s probably because they couldn’t see them
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lyse01lyse01 member
    edited December 2018
    So we ended up not using a crib, but we still registered for crib stuff, and using some of it.

Sheets: Got cute nautical prints for our island baby. Found that no one talks about threads/inch in baby sheets, but the organic cotton sheets tended to have a much softer feel. Ended up with something like 8 sheets and probably only needed 3, maybe 4.

Waterproof Mattress Protectors: Co-sleeper here. We wrap the whole queen mattress in a bedbug-proof plastic sheath, and wrap baby in fleece, and there’s limited soakage and none that makes it to the mattress. There are slightly cheaper versions that don’t worry about pests but we have a lot of guests in and out of our house. https://www.walmart.com/ip/AllerEase-Ultimate-Protection-Comfort-Waterproof-Bed-Bug-Antimicrobial-Zippered-Mattress-Protector-Vinyl-Free-Hypoallergenic-10-Year-Warranty/51251695

Mobiles/Music/Wake-up lights: DD loved her mobile from the NICU, so we found it online and bought it. 18ish music selections (40 min loop) and we still got tired of them. Recommend max music available! We probably retired this around 9 months but it was awesome for that time. https://www.buybuybaby.com/store/product/tiny-love-reg-meadow-days-trade-soothe-groove-mobile/1061873261

Blankets/Quilts: https://instagram.com/sewcialdesigns - love when she goes nautical!
  • Options
    Sheets: A sheet is a sheet in my opinion. We have around 5 sheets to switch out as needed. 

Waterproof Mattress Protectors: Our mattress has a waterproof exterior so no mattress protector needed. We just kept a spray bottle of baby-safe cleaner handy to spray down, wipe up any messes that soaked through the sheets.

Mobiles/Music/Wake-up lights: none

Blankets/Quilts: I handmade each kiddo an afghan and a crib sized quilt. Mostly used A&A muslin swaddle blankets at first though. Now that DS is in a toddler bed he uses his quilt more.

Bumpers: For both kiddos we did not plan on using bumpers. Then both kiddos would stick their legs through the slats and get stuck. Also their pacifiers were forever falling through the slats and making it really difficult to retrieve at 2 am. We found the mesh breathable bumpers to be very helpful for both problems. We discontinued use as soon as they could pull up to standing so that they couldn't use them to climb.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Sheets: Get cotton sheets. The minky sheets are a bit ridiculous, IMO. Make sure you have 4-6 on hand. I thought that was a tad overboard until we had a stomach bug. And then we used all the sheets. In one night.

Waterproof Mattress Protectors: Get a fitted mattress protector. 

Mobiles/Music/Wake-up lights: We had a mobile that we rarely used, it played music and you had to have batteries. It's definitely more for decoration than anything. I don't even know if we will get one this time around. When she got to be 9 months old or so, we attached a Baby Einstein water thing to the side of her crib so she could entertain herself for awhile before we had to get up (side eye all you want, you'll get to that stage too!). 

Blankets/Quilts: No. They are not safe for infants under 1 year old. If we received handmade items, we put them in a basket as decor. Sometimes you can use them for tummy time or time on the floor. But then think about how much money you're spending on a bedding set for it to be on the floor.....

Bumpers: mandatory safety info: https://www.thebump.com/a/crib-bumper-safety 
    We only used mesh bumpers that were breathable after 8 months or so. 

• Options
    berky84berky84 member
    edited December 2018
    I recommend 3 fitted water proof crib mattress protectors and 3 fitted sheets. I love the American Baby Company brand.

I also enjoyed having a mesh breathable bumper to block out distractions And stop limbs from going through slats. 

Personally not a fan of mobiles or other distractions but to each their own and whatever works is the name of the game. 

I highly recommend a sound machine, Aden and Anais Muslin swaddle blankets and Halo sleep sacks. 
  • Options
    Sheets: We had probably 4 or 5 sets of sheets. Just regular ole cotton sheets from Target. 

Waterproof Mattress Protectors: We had two mattress protectors Plasticky with almost like, cotton batting on top. 

Mobiles/Music/Wake-up lights: We had white noise machines going, but mainly because our house is real small so he could hear EVERYTHING. He currently has a OK to wake clock (https://littlehippo.com/) but he doesn't pay too much attention to it. He loves it though - he calls it Clocko and he gets jazzed when Clocko is awake. 

Blankets/Quilts: Like @mrstmoose said, for safety reasons, we didn't use blankets in the crib until after a year. We used (and still do use) TONS of A+A swaddle blankets. I also used A+A  and Halo brand sleep sacks under a year for warmth as a safe alternative to blankets. Now he has like, 30 blankets that he sleeps on top of, and almost never under. 

Bumpers: Did not use them for safety reasons. I can't recall DS ever getting a foot stuck in between the slots, and he had some CHUNKY legs. 
  • Options
    @berky84 YESSSS to a sound machine. We have the Hushh brand and when the first one died (when she was a year and a half old), I panicked and ran to the store that day to get another one. She won't sleep without a noise machine on (despite what my MIL tries to do when she babysits).
  • Options
    berky84 said:
    I highly recommend a sound machine, Aden and Anais Muslin swaddle blankets and Halo sleep sacks. 
    YES to these three. 
  • Options
    I've noticed crib wedges are a thing. Do any of you use one, or plan to use one?
  • Options
    I've noticed crib wedges are a thing. Do any of you use one, or plan to use one?
    I have not and would not with a little babe, due to safety concerns, though once DS was older (closer to two or so) we propped his mattress up a bit when he has had colds. I think some people do it for reflux?
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery we used a crib wedge when DD was closer to 9 months to a year. She had mastered sleeping in her crib, could stand up on her own in said crib and it was kept at the top of the crib so it wouldn't move down. We never had a problem.

That being said, I would not use one any earlier. And truthfully, @MRDCle is right, most don't use it until they are older but she didn't like sleeping on a flat surface (still won't sleep flat) and we all needed sleep. 
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery The only people i know that used them had babies with reflux issues and sleeping elevated sometimes helped.

My kid almost never slept in her crib so not something we had here. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019