April 2019 Moms

Cat Problem

Hello. I am really sad because my cat who is 2 years old is very sick. We took him to the vet and he needed emergency surgery due to stones and  blood found in his urine. The vet said it could be caused by stress. My cat was an orphan and he is very attached to me. He’s my little lion. He sleeps with me and he greets me when I come home. When I got pregnant I noticed he became sad and he began to pee outside his litter box. I wounder if he thinks he is being replaced by the baby and we are going to abandon him like his previous owner. Has anyone experienced this? The vet said he looks really sad and I am going to visit him tomorrow. I hope my visit makes him feel better. He’s been at the vet for two days and he may need to stay an additional two days. I never knew pets can get this depressed to the point they make themselves sick. Any advice?

Re: Cat Problem

• I don’t have any advice in particular. I hate seeing my cats sick, so I’m sorry you’re having to deal with that while pregnant! 
    My cat was so mad when I got a new job that she pooped outside the litter box for a month. Cats don’t have the best coping skills, unfortunately. Just keep on loving on him, maybe give him some extra treats when he comes home! 
  • @lilpotatomama Thank you for your comment. He is my baby and Imhe is spoiled. This is why I was surprised he is acting this way. I’m having a boy too so hopefully he isn’t jealous. Cats are too funny. My dogs on the other hand can care less that I’m pregnant. Lol. 
  • Loading the player...
  • if it's any consolation, my cat (who was not an orphan or rescue, admittedly) used to curl up on my belly and purr & my baby boy would kick her. 4yrs later, she is tame as ever w/ him. he's never been scratched or bitten. she isn't nearly as gentle w/ my husband and me. 

just sharing my story to give you hope that your kitty could come around. I think there's a big misconception about cats and babies. in my experience, my cat has been far more gentle and forgiving w/ my son than my dogs have been. 
  •  So sorry to hear your baby is sick.  Sometimes it can be really hard to get to the bottom of behavioral changes in cats. We have had problems with our cats peeing outside of the litter box recently  – for two of them it was a bladder infection that we treated,  and for one of them we think it's related to stress with another cat.  I have friends whose vets have put their cats on either SSRIs or Wellbutrin for this type of problem and it's really helped. We are going to ask the vet about that at our next appointment this weekend.  Hope your cat is doing better soon! 
  • Urinary stones are very common in cats my male had them around 6 yo.... it happened to coincide with a big move, but I don’t think that the stress caused it, rather it was just harder for him to deal with. 

My my cat was great with my son while we had him, we gave him to a family member when our rental didn’t alow cats some 8 years after his urinary stone. 

Hang in there!!! 
  • My cat started peeing outside of the litter box and I think it is related to this pregnancy. We have been moving furniture, organizing, etc. I also think she can sense it (pheromones?). We just put her on an anti-anxiety medication so hopefully that will help her stress level. I also take about 10 minutes every day to play with her. I don’t know if it will work, but that is what we are trying.
    Good luck! Cats can be so hard, but they are amazing little fur balls. 
  • I had a very similar situation with my cat last month. My cat is 9 years old and had the exact same problem, bladder infection with stones. They told me that it was most likely related to stresss. He hated the vet and I felt terrible leaving him there. Once he came home, I made sure to give him some extra love. Now that he is feeling better, he is back to his old self. Give it some time, and I bet your cat will be better soon.