July 2019 Moms

Pregnancy weight gain

Is there any first time mums out there who feels really scared about the weird gain. I'm about 118 pounds and I have always been slim but now I feel that I'm rounding out even at just 6w5d. Boobs getting bigger.. thigh gap disappearing. It's freaking me out! Will this feeling go away? 

Re: Pregnancy weight gain

• It’s tough, for sure.

I tracked my activity and calories in MyFitnessPal with my first and will again.  This was helpful because sometimes I’d randomly gain five pounds in a week.  I could then go mentally better rationalize that I didn’t eat 5 pounds of food that week.

pregnancy is going to change you, at the end of the day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have also always been thin. Getting a belly for the first time with my first was an adjustment but I loved it. I didn't track calories or watch what I ate and the only physical activity I could do without throwing up was walking. I gained a total of 26 lbs that pregnancy and within just a few weeks of delivery I was under my pre preg weight and was back in a bikini about 4 months later as soon as the weather got warm. I was 35 at the time. This time I gained some weight before we got pregnant from the 2 years of TTC and our 2 losses. But I'm still not worrying about it. I'm just trying to eat healthy, exercise when I can, and I'll worry about getting the weight off once baby gets here:)
  • Loading the player...
  • I gained almost 50 pounds with my first pregnancy but a LOT of it was fluid, I had edema in my legs for almost the whole third trimester. Of course some of the postpartum weight loss was the baby but I peed/sweated out literally 30 pounds in the first 10 days. So keep in mind that not all of what you will see on the scale is fat!
  • I should add the only reason I didn't gain much with the first was due to HG so I was throwing up constantly. Plus I'm celiac so I couldn't actually give in to any of my cravings. If I could I'd be eating all the donuts right now:)
  • I lost 70 lbs about a year ago before getting pregnant so I'm starting this pregnancy around 123 lbs (I'm 7 weeks today and haven't gained anything) and feel much better knowing at least I'm starting at a normal weight instead of 'obese'. I'm not really bothered about how much weight I will gain during this pregnancy but I'm thankful I've gained a lot of healthy habits that I plan on still doing while pregnant except eating at maintenance instead of deficit. I'm a first time mom and do plan on also breast feeding (If I can) and I've heard that helps with losing weight after baby.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Weight gain will be different for everyone. Losing weight after the baby will also be different for everyone. I was able to get down to my pre pregnancy weight pretty quick with both, but your body will be different no matter what. My body held weight differently than it did before having babies, but it’s all a part of the journey. 
  • @nolemomma14 it's good to hear from people that have been through it before! thank you for sharing.
  • I managed to lose 20lbs before my first baby and started at 130lb. I lost 5lbs in the first few weeks because of awful acid stomach issues. Ended up gaining 40lbs, not really exercising other than the normal walking my job entailed and lost about 30lbs after I had the baby and while I breastfed.

When my milk dried up, I gained 10lbs because I was still eating like I was breastfeeding. I got down to 140lb for this pregnancy,  but I don't feel too bad about those last 10lbs because you have to keep in mind that unless you pump weights everyday, you are going to build muscle from carrying your ever growing kid day in and day out. My 2yo is 32lbs and my arms and legs are definitely stronger this time around. 
  • I gained 50 lbs with both pregnancies (even when I was tracking my food the second one). Try not to sweat it! Everyone’s gain and loss story is different. Although I gained more than average I was able to lose it all both times within 4 months. Unfortunately I have stretch marks which I’m sure 50 didn’t help. Oh well, a small price to pay.

The only thing I plan to do different this time is work out, but I’ll let my body lead.
  • It’s a scary thing... I’m hoping this pregnancy is different 

i have the worst all day nausea and vomiting (19 weeks with my first and 23 weeks beginning again at 32 weeks until delivery with my second) I gained 8 lbs with my 1st and 12 w/ my second (after initially losing) 

So I guess be mindful of it but at the same time, carry that baby weight proud 
  • I started my last pregnancy at my heaviest (160lbs) gained 25 lbs with the pregnancy which came off quickly.  I've had a much healthier lifestyle with a baby/toddler so I dropped a ton of weight (down to 125 in the summer, currently 132). I loved being pregnant bc my chub turned into a baby bump :p but I can see how it can be unnerving if you're used to having a small/trim body before pregnancy. different people feel differently about the body changes,  and that's ok. I hope you work through out and it's not as bad add it seems right now :)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Lurker here

I've been on both ends of the spectrum. My first pregnancy I was small to start and lost 15 pounds from being sick all day before gaining 25. At my 6 week checkup I had dropped from 110 pre pregnancy to 93 post. Everyone commented about how great it was that I got my prebaby shape back so quickly but it felt really unhealthy. Second baby I had gotten up to about 115 before conceiving and then spent three months on bedrest so I ended up gaining a lot of weight. Most of it still went away pretty easily. Honestly I felt better about myself after the gain than I did losing so much with my first.

Like others have said, your body will change and it may end up like it was before or it may not. As long as you keep healthy eating and activity habits you will be just fine.