Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

My Recent Experience - Chemical Pregnancy & Phantom Twins

2»

Re: My Recent Experience - Chemical Pregnancy & Phantom Twins

• hopeful207hopeful207 member
    edited November 2018
    coco2787 said:
    There’s so much crazy in your post it’s hard to know where to begin. 

1) Pregnancy symptoms don’t start the day after you have sex
    2) Nothing about getting a negative pregnancy test would indicate an ectopic pregnancy OR twins
    3) Nobody lactates for 14 years without a serious medical condition
    4) Your “positive” HPT was likely an indent line.  If you read reviews for FRERs you’ll see this is a common occurrence 
    5) I’ve had two CPs. It never took being a week late and dehydration to get a positive and I was always able to get a + for a few days before bleeding started, even on a cheapie test. 
    6) You can’t feel outside movement until well into 2nd tri.  Congrats, you felt your own gas/digestion. 
    7) Semen doesn’t just disappear no matter how many kegels you do 
    8) I don’t even understand the point of you sharing your “story” here. It’s insulting to people who are grieving legitimate pregnancy losses. 
    9) I don’t care what you have a degree in, absolutely noting you are saying makes any sense.  If you are for real, see a doctor, and not a medical doctor.  There is something seriously messed up in your head. For the sake of any future children you may have, pull yourself together before reproducing.  

1. I merely described what I experienced.
    2. Sometimes in an ectopic pregnancy, a test can alternate between positive and negative because the levels of HCG can vary back and forth because it is not a healthy fetus. Sometimes in a twin pregnancy the level of HCG can be so high that it is not detected, called a high dose hook effect. Both uncommon but neither impossible.
    3. I never said I didn't have a serious medical condition. Sometimes serious medical conditions are rooted in psychological causes.
    4. Just looked up indent line, but that is not what mine was. On my test both lines were pink. I would post a pic I took at the appropriate read time, but that would be against the rules.
    5. Different women produce different amounts of HCG at different times in their pregnancies. Here is a thread about it: https://www.babycenter.com/400_pregnant-but-no-hcg_14233005_547.bc?page=1
    6. Many slim women feel something somewhere between 12 and 16 weeks. If you really read my post, you will see that I was showing phantom signs of being 14 weeks at that time. But considering it is a phantom pregnancy rather than a real one, yes I agree these motions are most likely caused by my own internal organs.
    7. I was just describing what I experienced.
    8. I believe myself to also be grieving a legitimate pregnancy loss, hence posting my experience in this section.
    9. I have been sent to therapy before, but in general it has not been helpful. Which is unfortunate, because I really would have liked for it to help. I deal with a lot of depression and irrational crying on a regular basis (including right now, while writing this reply) and would have very much appreciated any improvement because it causes me significant pain daily.
  • Loading the player...
  • @BumpAdmin can we get this shut down? It's an inappropriate place to post about the issues that the OP is describing, and hurtful to the women who have actually experienced losses. 
    This is not the right place to talk about emotional and psychological issues following a chemical pregnancy?
  • @BumpAdmin can we get this shut down? It's an inappropriate place to post about the issues that the OP is describing, and hurtful to the women who have actually experienced losses. 
    This is not the right place to talk about emotional and psychological issues following a chemical pregnancy?

I'm honestly very confused about what you believe at this point - that you had a CP, a twin pregnancy and a phantom pregnancy all at once? Your OP seems to end with the intimation that you are more than 14w along with a multiple pregnancy and can feel movement but cannot turn a urine or blood test... On rare occasions when hCG is so high in early pregnancy it cannot be detected with urine tests (called the "hook effect") hCG is detectable in the blood stream. 

I really hesitate to invalidate anyone's feelings about pregnancy loss but I think what people are saying is that you did not have a pregnancy loss, you likely had one false positive test. That is the most likely conclusion here. I'm sorry that the experience is painful for you, that's understandable, but I agree with others you need to seek help. Can you understand why people are concerned for you when you are saying that you have continued to have periods, negative pregnancy tests, and are also saying you feel multiple babies moving inside of you? 

In order for therapy to be helpful you need to find a therapist who is a good match for you. I really hope you can find someone to help you. 
    The "twin pregnancy" is actually a phantom pregnancy. I apologize if I was less than clear about that in my original post. I had a chemical pregnancy followed by phantom twin pregnancy. None of this amounts to me being currently pregnant.

High dose hook effect can also impact blood tests, but is less common than on urine tests.

The physician I spoke to 2 days after I started bleeding said that he thought it was a chemical pregnancy. Why do the women on this forum think they know more about what is happening and has happened to my body than a medical doctor?

I understand phantom pregnancies can be disconcerting, but the responses I have received seem much closer to hatred than concern.

I have been through half a dozen therapists. I think I really need one who is at least as intelligent as me, but the idea of paying $100+ a session just to talk to someone seems silly, especially when they very rarely offer real advice, rarely seem to actually hear (let alone understand) what I am saying, and literally all of them have shared private information about their other clients with me when I would be super uncomfortable if they said something I had told them to anyone else (even without identifying information attached).
  • edited November 2018
    **Removed for Quoting TOU Violation**
    ^^^One more time for the cheap seats in the back.

It's clear we can't help you. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

edited November 2018

I have seen very few people hesitate to invalidate my experiences and emotions.

Have any of you considered that if you stop replying to my posts I will stop replying in turn?
    edited November 2018
    ^^^One more time for the cheap seats in the back.

It's clear we can't help you. 
    I am sorry to hear that. I wish it were not the case.
  • ruby696 said:
    *lurking*

I just can't with this nonsense. OP, the fact that you've been sent to therapy before and you think you're more intelligent than all the therapists you've seen, really tells us all we need to know.
    Statistically speaking, there is a strong correlation between higher IQ and prevalence of complex psychological issues.
  • @hopeful207 I agree with that 100%. I wasn't saying you were not intelligent. I just find it interesting that you judge yourself to be more intelligent than professional people who are most likely putting on a facade. 
    edited November 2018

ruby696 said:
    @hopeful207 I agree with that 100%. I wasn't saying you were not intelligent. I just find it interesting that you judge yourself to be more intelligent than professional people who are most likely putting on a facade. 
    I'm not saying that is impossible, but what would be their reasoning behind it? Playing dumb just makes me take their opinion less seriously and have less respect for their advice. I would ideally want someone who seems equally or slightly more intelligent than myself but does not come across as condescending (something I admittedly struggle with personally).
  • I have no idea - perhaps they thought that you would open up if you believed you were superior to them. Or maybe your perception wasn't accurate. Regardless, you should find someone who you respect. If that means trying different doctors, then do that. See a psychologist or psychiatrist if you've been seeing an MFT or an LCSW. Be forthcoming with your expectations when you meet with someone until you find a good fit.
  • ruby696 said:
    I have no idea - perhaps they thought that you would open up if you believed you were superior to them. Or maybe your perception wasn't accurate. Regardless, you should find someone who you respect. If that means trying different doctors, then do that. See a psychologist or psychiatrist if you've been seeing an MFT or an LCSW. Be forthcoming with your expectations when you meet with someone until you find a good fit.
    I have been seeing psychologists. Right now I am working 50-80 hour weeks (and have been for the past year) and live in a poor rural area where it is about an hour's drive each way to a city big enough to draw successful educated professionals. I work 11am-6:30pm monday-saturday at the shop, plus deliveries some days before/after, plus staying late 1-2 nights/week to restock the products I make myself. Because my only free time is Sundays and early mornings and late nights, it makes it difficult to find time to make appointments for medical needs and such during normal business hours, including therapy. I was seeing someone about 2 years ago, but fired her (despite our sessions being free) because her attitude really started to grate on me and her empathy seemed so fake. And she reminded me of my mom. I had them send me my file after (they resisted hard and I had to repeatedly quote them my legal rights to get ahold of these documents). It basically said that I was highly intelligent and suffered from chronic depression and periodic anxiety. Nothing I didn't know already. I made a list of 20-some minor errors in her notes (primarily misunderstanding or misquoting things I had said) but the process to amend it was so lengthy that I decided not to bother because in the end her conclusions were essentially accurate.
  • delujm0 said:
    This is an excuse factory.  Every reasonable suggestion is met with an excuse about how it can't possibly apply to the OP.

Hook effect is absolutely real...it just doesn't happen so early in pregnancy.  Twin pregnancies don't necessarily have higher hcg than singletons...the absolute only way to confirm a twin pregnancy is an ultrasound.  I'm just going to state facts now instead of engaging with OP.

Though I find this thread incredibly insulting and horrible, I find her thread on BOTB hilarious so if anyone needs a laugh head on over.
    I agree a high resolution ultrasound is the best option for a definitive answer. That is why I requested one at the ER. No argument there.

I am glad you find the other thread amusing. We all need a good laugh now and then to keep our psychological hormones in a healthy balance.
  • This thread has been closed to new posts as a result of the shift in topic. To find threads regarding (this topic), we encourage you to use the search function to post to an active thread or start a new discussion.

Please note that we remove posts that do not follow our guidelines and will issue warnings to users who violate the Terms of Use.

To review our Community guidelines, please visit The Bump Guidelines pinned at the top of this board. Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"