February 2019 Moms

Holiday Recipe Thread

Let's share our favorite holiday recipes here!

Re: Holiday Recipe Thread

• Here are the tried and true recipes that I love to make for Thanksgiving:
    Chicken and root veggie pot pie
    Brussels sprouts with caramelized shallots
    Iced pumpkin cookies (except without food coloring in the icing...ick)

And my favorite Christmas recipe is a traditional cookie from Germany called Springerle.

Does anyone have a savory dish that's good at room temp or cold (for holiday potlucks)?
  • @hannahbananas11 we LOVE springerles at my house. My grandmother gave us all molds a few years ago and they’re so gorgeous. You can do roasted Brussels sprouts and serve them at room temp or cold as a salad! Or a good massaged kale salad with roasted acorn squash and pomegranate seeds would be delicious. 

All our our recipes are family recipes except this sweet potato casserole one (https://addapinch.com/cooking/sweet-potato-casserole-pecan-topping/) because my husband is a sweet potato fiend. 

Thanksgiving for us is turkey (duh), stuffing, gravy, mashed potatoes, collard greens, Brussels sprouts, cranberries, sweet potato casserole and corn pudding. Chess pie, pumpkin pie and chocolate pecan pie for dessert! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm keeping it easy: Turkey in an oil-less deep fryer, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing... I think that's all I'm responsible for (we also have stuff coming with my parents and ILs to supplement). I'd love to do something more fancy and refined, but I don't have the time or energy.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• okayestmom12okayestmom12 member
    edited November 2018
    We go to my DH’s aunt & uncle’s house but I always bring A couple of sides and a dessert. 

On tap this year from me...
    Baked Corn Casserole
    Ruth Chris Inspired Sweet Potatoes
    Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars

—————————

Baked Corn Casserole

1 (15 1/4 oz) can whole kernel corn, drained
    1 (14 3/4 oz) can cream-style corn
    1 (8 oz) package Jiffy corn muffin mix
    1 cup sour cream
    4 Tablespoons butter, melted
    1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9- by 9-inch baking pan or a 2 quart casserole dish.
    2. Mix together the corn, Jiffy, sour cream and butter in a large bowl. Stir in the cheese until combined. 
    3. Pour corn mix into the prepared pan. Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.

Ruth Chris Inspired Sweet Potatoes 

Crust:
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup flour
    1 cup chopped pecans
    1/3 cup butter, melted

Sweet Potato Mixture:
    3 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes 
    1 cup sugar
    ½ teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 eggs , well beaten
    1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick spray.
    2. For the crust: Combine brown sugar, flour, nuts and butter in mixing bowl. Chill in the fridge until ready to use. This helps the crumble maintain its form and not melt into the sweet potatoes.
    2. Combine sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a large mixing bowl in the order listed. Beat thoroughly with a hand mixer for about 3-4 minutes to increase the fluffiness of the sweet potato mixture. Add a splash of milk if needed and mix.
    3. Pour mixture into the baking dish (use a 2 quart dish). Bake for 25 minutes. At this point, dish can be covered and refrigerated for a couple of days if making ahead of time.
    *If you refrigerated ahead of time make sure to reheat the potatoes again before adding the crust - around 10-20 minutes.
    4. Sprinkle the surface of the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture and return to oven for 10-20 minutes or until crumble is browned. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.
    The brown sugar and pecan crust should be slightly browned and crunchy.

Pumpkin Swirl Cheesecake Bars

About 25 gingersnaps, finely crushed
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans, almonds, walnuts-whatever you want
    1/4 cup butter, melted
    3 packages cream cheese, softened
    1 cup of sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    3 eggs
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice 

1. Heat oven to 325
    2. Mix cookie bits, nuts and butter and press into 13x9 inch pan. Put into fridge to firm up while making the rest.
    3. Beat cream cheese, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla until blended.  Add eggs 1 at a time--beating after each until blended.  Remove about a 1 1/2 cups of the batter and set aside.  Stir pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice, and remaining sugar (1/4 cup) into the larger portion of batter.
    3. Grab crust out of fridge.  Alternate spoonfuls of batter onto crust.  Dollop of plain, dollop of pumpkin--do that until you've used all the batter.  Using a butter knife, swirl the dollops together--creating a pretty pattern and making you look like a master chef!
    4. Bake 45 minutes- or until the center is almost set.  Cool completely and store in fridge.

T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @grebretso - I prefer Christmas dinner to Thanksgiving because of the Scandinavian foods - between my Icelandic and Norwegian heritage and DH's Swedish heritage, we get a wide variety. The only thing I may make from scratch is lefse, but I'll probably be lazy this year and buy it. I really want vinarterta (an Icelandic dessert) but I've never seen it for sale and I'm too lazy to make it this year.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• @hannahbananas11 - The corn casserole I posted above is good hot or room temp! It holds up really well. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Im super excited that we are just staying home this year. I can't do the multi-house shuffle, my energy is zapped. I'm cooking for just H, DD, and myself and we're staying in pajamas. I'm making turkey, stuffing, corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, and this green bean casserole https://thenovicechefblog.com/the-best-green-bean-casserole/ Pumpkin roll and pumpkin pie for dessert. I should've started desserts tonight, but I'm beat.
  • We're hosting. My parents get into town tomorrow and I swear I may actually cry when I see them.
    Food is pretty standard. Turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoes, corn (that I froze over the summer - SO GOOD!!). We're making homemade pumpkin and apple pies tomorrow. 
  • I’ve never done the holiday cooking - but I love struffoli or “honey balls” at Christmas time - no real recipe but I made it with my nana every year and she said you would just know when the dough is right.  I haven’t perfected it but I will eventually if I keep trying lol brings me closer to my nana who’s been gone for three years 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @megpants209- uh what time do we eat?! 🤤
  • @sjnsjnsjn Haha if you lived nearby I'd have you in a second! Hosting events is one of my favorite things, stress and all.
  • @megpants209- Nice. Once upon a time in another lifetime when I was not a mom, and also before I was with my socially anxious SO, I used to regularly host dinner and cocktail parties, so I relate to that love.  Enjoy!
  • One day my goal is to take over thanksgiving and any other major holidays but for now I’ll just be making the fudge my grandma used to make for holiday! Now if I can just remember where I put the instruction and recipe sheet 🤦🏽‍♀️
  • @megpants209 you sound like me! I've never hosted an actual on-the-holiday-day feast but I do like to have a holiday/winter brunch or I've had dinner parties in the past where I go ALL out.  My friends always tell me not to and I'm like but wait let me make these turkey shaped cookies in 3D LOL  My husband thinks I'm nuts too...I can't help it! It makes me happy.  I'm having a holiday brunch at our house on the 16th of December.  I've started menu planning but I'm trying to keep it...simpler lol.  I'm thinking big dishes that I can shove in the oven - egg souffle, roasted potatoes (I slice potatoes thin and toss in Lipton onion soup mix - DELISH), ricotta berry cake, ham and swiss hot sandwiches on hawaiian rolls...and I'm sure I'll add a few more items.  We're having like 13 adults and 5 kids including my own! lol 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I wish I could cook. Maybe if I attempted more I just truly don’t enjoy it, DH does most of the cooking around here. Tomorrow we will be at my parents and then in laws so we don’t have to make anything! 
  • allthingsgoallthingsgo member
    edited November 2018
    @nursemom913 same here! I don’t really like to cook either so DH does a lot of it. I do wish I liked it! 

@danixbanani24 all that holiday brunch food sounds delicious!! Now I’m hungry lol
  • @cmkrauss- I also always make my nana’s fudge sometime in December and make it my bring-along to everything!
  • I am the bearer of pies tomorrow - pumpkin and pecan, recipes courtesy of libby's website and the bag of pecans.  (last year's pecan pie was an experiment which tasted a bit too much like bourbon for some people, so I'm back to the tried and true)
    I honestly miss hosting, even if it meant that I was on the other side of the country from family.  It meant that I had complete control of all dishes, they were all delicious, had flavor, and not overcooked (sorry not sorry grandma).   
  • @thechickendance-I’m stuck on “tastes too much like bourbon.” 🤔. Sigh, I miss brown liquor. 
  • @thechickendance no such thing as tasting too much like bourbon. If you want a chocolate pecan pie, southern living has the recipe I use for Derby pie every year. It is to die for. 

https://amp.myrecipes.com/recipe/chocolate-bourbon-pecan-pie

• @BourbonBiscuits yum, I love derby pie!  
  • How can anything taste too much like bourbon??? Not possible!!
  • @danixbanani24 @megpants209 do you guys do delivery?? Your foods sounds delicious! I tried to make bread for prethanksgiving major diaster
  • @jgrodo I didn’t master bread or rolls till I figured yest out. Now it’s easy