May 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Favorite Thanksgiving Dish to Make

Bonus points for a recipe.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

Re: GTKY: Favorite Thanksgiving Dish to Make

• Options
    It's just the 3 of us for Thanksgiving. It's our first time doing this at home (have always gone to friends' houses if we didn't fly to see family) and I'm really excited! I bought a 5lb turkey breast and am keeping it mostly simple (aka stove top stuffing, store bought gravy in case I mess that up).

I make maple mustard brussels sprouts with bacon and pomegranate seeds. Just cook the bacon in a cast iron and take it out, then leave the fat in to flavor/cook halved brussels sprouts for 10 mins with minimal stirring to get a good crisp. Off the heat, add mustard and maple syrup (can do balsamic instead of mustard/maple) and crumble the bacon and add pomegranate seeds.

I'm also attempting pumpkin cheesecake in the instant pot. I've made a regular cheesecake that way before but never pumpkin. Should be yummy.

• Options
    I feel like this is super basic but I love green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole. And turkey, obviously. Super easy sides and super delicious. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For an appetizer, I’m making this again, Cranberry Jalapeño Cream Cheese Dip. It’s yummy, super easy, and made the night before. 

https://www.sparrowsandlily.com/cranberry-jalapeno-dip-holidays/
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    Roasted Butternut Squash with Maple Bacon Butter

https://communitytable.parade.com/231572/lorilange/roasted-butternut-squash-with-maple-bacon-butter/

Brussels Sprouts Gratin
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/brussels_sprouts_gratin/

Both of of these are really good! I have done them for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    My cousin makes a corn casserole that's just canned corn, cream cheese and she adds canned jalapenos to half of it (even though they aren't spicy some of my fam thinks pepper is spicy). IDK why, but the combo of it with a bite of turkey, gravy and potatoes is perfection. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Mashed potatoes! I like to add mozzarella cheese to them and sour cream instead of milk.
    @sleepy33 That corn casserole sounds super good. I'm usually not a jalapeno fan but it may be something we have to try!

• Options
    @sleepy33 Corn casserole does sound good!!!

• Options
    @sleepy33 we don't have jalepenos in the house right now (I haven't been making anything spicy since DD is eating what we are), but we bought cream cheese at Costco for my cheesecake so I need other ways to use it. I definitely have canned corn so maybe I'll make that as another side!

• Options
    I make this pumpkin pecan cheesecake......

https://ladywiththeredrocker.com/2011/11/22/pumpkin-pecan-cheesecake/

I'm most looking forward to stuffing and mashed potatoes though mmmmmmm
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    kvh22 said:
    @sleepy33 we don't have jalepenos in the house right now (I haven't been making anything spicy since DD is eating what we are), but we bought cream cheese at Costco for my cheesecake so I need other ways to use it. I definitely have canned corn so maybe I'll make that as another side!
    It's super easy! You just throw together some softened cream cheese and the drained canned corn (I can never remember the ratios, but basically just enough cream cheese to hold the corn together), then spread it into a baking dish and bake at pretty much whatever temp until it gets a little golden brown on top. You want it to look more or less like this:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Nothing. Just getting to eat is the best.  

• Options
    sleepy33 said:
    I have 3 Thanksgivings to attend this year. I may not make it, but if I don't, at least I'll die happy and full. Thank dog for maternity pants. 
    🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Options
    @sleepy33 being pregnant during the holidays is certainly a blessing! Stretchy pants all the way! 

I live everything about Thanksgiving! I’m in charge of deviled eggs (I pipe my filling into the egg likeva world class baker) and green bean casserole because apparently mines better than normal (hint: extra crispy onions is the trick!) 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    One thing that says Thanksgiving now is a Tourtiere, which is a French - Canadian tradition. It's a meat /pork savory pie and is amazing. DH's family has French - Canadian roots, and the recipe I use is his aunt's MIL's recipe,although I've made a few small changes. It's 2-3 large onions with 2# each of pork and beef sautéed. Add in 1 tbsp. (give or take) cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, ginger and 1.5 tbsp. chicken seasoning, and some salt to taste. Once it comes through  you add 4-5 c. potatoes that are mashed (just plain potatoes) and let it sit. You then fill your pie crusts (make a double crust recipe). It'll fill a deep dish 9-10" pie plate, or a few more shallow pie plates. It gets baked at probably ~350f till the crust looks. Cooked through and inside is up to temp (probably ~145f or so.
    Is additionally served with molasses and we have it at Thanksgiving, CHRISTMAS, NYE , etc.it is so so good, especially for pregnant ladies!
  • Options
    I love to make red skin mashed potatoes, I throw add i garlic and Parmesan too. I have a kitchen aid mixer, and its literally the only thing I use it for. 

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options

Mostly, people don't like this stuff as much as I do, but if you like curry and sweet potatoes... to die for:

https://https//www.myrecipes.com/recipe/curry-spiced-sweet-potatoes

Also, the best way to cook poultry, including turkey: mix softened butter (I have also used olive oil), rosemary, and montreal chicken spice. Lift the skin and rub the mix into the meat. Also rub the mix onto the skin. Roast. So simple, so good.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @k2ktog rosemary & chicken should always be together. Together forever!

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Every year I make this recipe for apple and herb stuffing.   It’s so good  :)

https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/11/apple-and-herb-stuffing-for-all-seasons/

(sidenote: Smitten Kitchen is my go to recipe source.  Everything I’ve made off the site has been a hit)
  • Options
    @knarlytaurus I love tourtiere! I usually do mine with half pork, half lamb, and it is soooooo good! Definitely a Christmas staple for me.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @expandcontract we love a great pumpkin pie- I generally follow the recipe on the back of the Libby’s pure pumpkin can however we switch out the white sugar for brown sugar and it’s amazing!!! We eat it cold from the fridge piled high with cool whip!!!
  • Options
    @bpietronicco my mother in law had a conniption because my father in law and I wanted cool whip. "What? That shits disgusting" uh no, it's highly processed deliciousness.