July 2019 Moms

Night Shift - Insomnia Thread

What’s keeping you awake tonight? 

Re: Night Shift - Insomnia Thread

• I’ve only slept 2-3 hours tonight. I’ve had on and off cramping (maybe gas related) from my progesterone suppositories that is causing so much secondary nerve compression that I cannot sleep. Usually only happens for a short period each night but apparently tonight is special. I don’t know how I’m going to do this for 6 more weeks. 
  • I think the huge secret I have! 🤣 I talk to my mom every day and it’s killing me not to be able to tell her. I think the excitement is just too much. DH doesn’t want to announce until after 1st appointment which is 12/28. And he’s adamant to tell our 9yo before our parents. So.... my lips have to stay sealed for 5 more weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • @abmeier excitement is a much better insomnia excuse! That must be so hard to keep quiet, I hope your DH breaks down and changes his mind for sleep sake  :) 
  • I’m typically a great sleeper, so insomnia is coming out of nowhere for me! My body has started doing this terrible thing where I wake up at 2/3am to pee and can’t go back to sleep. Not cool! 
  • @heml OMG yes! Every night without fail! That's how I end up here. No matter what I do I'm awake for like 2 hours. It's really killing my energy levels during the day.

I am switching to a night shift rotation starting this weekend after working days for the past 2 Wells so it's going to be really interesting to see how my sleep schedule/insomnia react
  • I work third shift so I’m up all night and sleep all day. It’s not ideal, especially with two toddlers at home too. Luckily DH works second shift so I can get some sleep while he deals with the kiddos. 
  • Awake since 4. I was having a weird bad dream and then a loud sound outside woke me up. Now my mind is off and running and I cannot sleep. 
  • Does anyone have any advice for improving sleep?

I've only been getting about 4 hours of sleep a night lately and it's really starting to wear me down! I'm exhausted, my brain is fuzzy, and my eyes are so bloodshot they hurt. I've never had this issue before not even with my last pregnancy. Is there something wrong with me?
  • @Niesen27 Are you having trouble falling asleep, waking up throughout the night, waking early or waking up for long periods of time in the middle? 
  • @mamanbebe check check and check to all of the above! My sleep schedule is just non-existent lately. 
  • @Niesen27 That is so frustrating, I'm sorry :( I had that with my first pregnancy and I ended up doing unisom for a bit during the first tri. 
  • @mamanbebe I really try to avoid medications during pregnancy but I do remember my OB saying it's plenty safe and I am desperate so I may try it tonight! Keeping my fingers crossed it helps
  • Anyone having issues with shortness of breath?  It’s what’a keeping me up tonight  :/
  • @hoodevil0611yes I had this last week! It only lasted a couple of nights and went away. But I feel your pain it was very frustrating and made it very hard to sleep. Hopefully it’s just temporary!
  • Oh hello weird anxiety dreams, keeping me awake since 2am
  • @hoodevil0611 not at night but generally, yes with the shortness of breath. My ob said it's the progesterone, more that she earned me it'll be coming and explained why lol
    FTM
    July 4th