July 2019 Moms
Options

Dental appointments

With my first, I had a cleaning before I had a BFP.  So there was no issue.

I had a cleaning and x-ray appointment scheduled for Wednesday.  I asked the receptionist if they needed a clearance from my OB.  She said yes.  She called me back and said that my OB said that unless there is an emergency, she will not clear me for any dental appointments until the second trimester.  

Re: Dental appointments

• Options
    I had to have an emergency extraction a few days after my BFP. The dentist told me they normally wait until the 2nd tri, but with the infection in my jaw and how swollen and painful my face was they pulled 2 teeth and gave me penicillin. But I could only take tylenol for the pain. 
  • Options
    **lurking**
    I had a cleaning around 22 weeks. I pushed it out of the first tri just so I didn't gag! They didn't do my x-rays. I'm not sure why a cleaning would be a no-no though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had cleanings (after first tri), but always waited on X-rays until the baby came. 
  • Options
    Hmm. I don't remember when I had my appointment during my first pregnancy, but I definitely had an xray done. It was localized, though. They did put a lead blanket over my belly, but the tech was right there, doing an xray right next to my jaw with a pretty new piece of tech. 
  • Options
    I have a dental appointment next week and I called to check. I don't need x-rays done, but they said there's no problem getting a cleaning in the first trimester. 
  • Options
    I had a cleaning last week, the dentist knew I was pregnant.  The only thing they did differently was skip the x-ray. There are no safety concerns with getting a basic cleaning while pregnant. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    I had a cleaning at 6 weeks last pregnancy. I remember because my dentist receptionist was literally the first person I told that I was pregnant outside of my husband. They did the cleaning but skipped the x-rays. Pregnancy can do a number of your teeth (calcium deficiencies), so cleanings may be more important than usual.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I believe a lot of dental plans allow for at least 1 extra cleaning during pregnancy--if you have dental insurance it's worth checking out.  
  • Options
    I'm going to skip cleanings during pregnancy again. I made it through just fine last time, making sure to floss and mouthwash in addition to 2x brushing. 
  • Options
    @mamanbebe can i ask why? are you concerned with something?
  • Options
    @blackhottamales I think last time I just figured I'd wait. This time I wonder if there is any exposure to radiation at the dental office if you're not the one getting an x-ray. I've had more than enough x-rays in my lifetime, so I try to avoid exposure when I can. 
  • Options
    I just got back from a cleaning - no issues, just skipped the xrays.
  • Options
    I feel like the complications that could come from delaying preventative care are way riskier than anything that could happen at a cleaning or basic filling; my dentist and midwife both agree. 
  • Options
    @erynpdx I think that depends on the person. If you are prone to cavities or other oral health issues, then of course, by all means continue with your visits. In my personal situation, I am not concerned. 
  • Options
    Wow this is interesting to hear. I was supposed to have a dental appointment last week for a cleaning when I was 6 weeks and I cancelled because my morning sickness would have made it impossible to have them poking around in my mouth. I didn’t even think about asking my midwife if it was okay to have a cleaning at all first tri! 
  • Options
    Just going to leave this here https://www.marchofdimes.org/pregnancy/dental-health-during-pregnancy.aspx
    @ketomommy I would really be questioning your OB and why they would tell you that. 

Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19