1st Trimester

New Asthma/Allergies during Pregnancy ?

Looking for any advice or BTDT on suddenly developing an allergy while pregnant. We have had rabbits for 8 years, and last night I had what appeared to be an out-of-no-where serious asthma attack. I do not have asthma, but I do get chronic bronchitis, so luckily I have inhalers on hand. Also lucky I had a friend with serious asthma on hand who coached me through the attack as my airway got super wheezy, more so than when I have bronchitis. Lots of uncontrollable coughing. Almost needed to go to the ER, but we got it under control with my inhaler after 4 or so puffs and lots of breathing techniques. She called my pulmonogist on the emergency line, who told me to follow up with them on Monday.

My friend is allergic to timothy hay (she has chinchillas, who also eat this hay, same as my rabbit) and wondered if that might have been the unknown trigger as I fed our bun while she was over. I didn't think so because I've had no issues the last 8 years. Well, sure enough, this morning my kiddo goes to feed the bun, and BAM, eyes watering, nose running, luckily no breathing issues. 

Has anyone developed asthma or a new allergy as part of pregnancy? I had no issues of the kind with my first (other than, har har, bronchitis in third tri, what fun). 

Re: New Asthma/Allergies during Pregnancy ?

• I’ve run into this too during my pregnancy. My allergies, which are usually very mild seasonal ones, got pretty bad, similar to the hay ones you described. I don’t have a history of asthma or lung problems in general, but now when I take blankets or clothes out of cabinet storage they need to be run through a crazy strong allegen cycle on our washer or I get very wheezy and short of breath, almost needed to go to the ER twice.

Unfortunately, when I spoke to my OB about it, she took my concern seriously but said that this is on the spectrum of things that some women develop during pregnancy. I now have a rescue inhaler to use, but I have instructions to see an allergist if it escalates. Apparently there are safe-for-pregnancy preventative/maintenance steroidal inhalers if it gets to be too disruptive or scary. And check with your OB, but I believe Claritin is ok to use to keep the worst of the hay symptoms at bay.

Best of luck, and I’m sorry you’re dealing with this too.
  • @lin0442 Thank you. I still need to call both of my doctors, which I'll do after my next meeting. I'll have to keep an eye out when spring comes around too, I suppose. Glad I had the inhalers on me. I appreciate that commiseration and am glad to hear from someone with experience (but not glad it happened to you too. :( )