July 2019 Moms

Non-medicinal Cold Remedies

Hello!
I’m located in upstate NY and winter hit us HARD this week. Subsequently, I got his HARD with a cold. Runny nose, coughing, sneezing, watery eyes, laryngitis, you know, the works. What are you favorite non-medicinal remedies?
TIA! 

Re: Non-medicinal Cold Remedies

• I’m taking an herbal tincture right now for cold season while pregnant. I picked it up an a natural grocery chain nearby:

https://www.wishgardenherbs.com/herbal-remedies/Cold-Seasons-For-Pregnancy-162
  • Check with your doc but I have always been a fan of elderberry supplements and olive leaf oil when not pregnant. I haven't asked my OB yet but it's at the top of my list because I'm a teacher and ALWAYS get sick.
  • Loading the player...
  • I love the Neti pot, I suffer from allergies and can't breathe thru my nose without it! It takes some practice but really helps clear everything out. Make sure you use warm bottled water and the salt packets they provide. 
  • I don't know if you are into oils (no, I'm not trying to sell you any) but there are a few that give me RELIEF from congestion and all that jazz. YL has a blend called RC that I love (DoTerra's is Breathe, and Plant Therapy's is RespirAid). 
  • I second what @nerdtoyourmother said,  I have found relief in some EOs as well. Also, try a humidifier. There are a few things safe to take during pregnancy, however.  I take Benadryl almost daily for allergies and congestion, which my doctor approved. Sudafed can also be taken after first tri. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • I’ve been diffusing eucalyptus and/or Thieves (young living) essential oils. I also drop a few drops on the shower floor when I’m in there. The steam alone is helpful too. Saline nose spray has been helping me out too and I just got a Beto pop so hoping that’ll help! Oh and I’ve been using Cloraseptic spray which numbs my throat and helps a tiny bit with coughing. I’m still miserable though!! Blah
  • I bought a cool mist humidifier bc I think we will need one anyways. I also like the neti-pot. As for medicines, I know we can use cough drops (halls), vicks vaporub, and robitussin. I just got over a cold and was miserable without the robitussin.
  • When I had cold + bronchitis my first pregnancy, I couldn't take any of the symptom suppressors. The docs were able to get me an inhaler (not sure how bad your coughing is, but be careful if it gets bad, you could be restricting oxygen to the baby, so see a doc), and also recommended I use saline in my nose, use a humidifier, to clear out my nasal passages. Lots of steamy shower, maybe with a few drops of eucalyptus oil if you have it in the bottom near your feet so it feels the shower.
  • For a sore throat gargle warm salt water. 

That's all I've got:/