6% 4 votes
Not unless there's something wrong
4% 3 votes
Never
0% 0 votes
Other
1% 1 vote

Re: Do you pee in a cup?

• I did at the first one and will again next time since I had an infection, but I don't expect to every time throughout the pregnancy. I didn't do it often during my last pregnancy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Just got out of my appointment, and they did have me do it, but I didn't have enough in the tank  My midwife said its OK, that they just tend to collect them every appointment, but they don't necessarily have to have one every appointment. 
  • I was going to say never but I’ve just arrived at my appointment and they’ve asked for a mid stream urine sample. Normally, I’ll pee on a little test strip. At my former OB’s office, you had to show the test strip to the receptionist, but at my midwives’ they let you read it yourself. 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• LOL @k2k2tog I should have clarified, whether in a cup or on a strip, I think the point was more does your urine get tested
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @k2k2tog I think that still counts for the question. I will not be tested at my doctor's until 36 weeks, although I did during my 11 week blood draw (at the lab). They dip strips in the cup so it's essentially the same thing.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• As per the appointment thread, I am a little unsure of how this new clinic will be.  I did not have to do any type of urine test when I saw the midwife in my old province a couple weeks ago, but I'm not sure if I would have had to at any subsequent appts.  In both of my previous pregnancies in my old town they collected a sample at each appt.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Does anyone else have a hard time peeing in that little cup? Even when not pregnant with big belly,  I seem to just be very messy.  

• Does anyone else have a hard time peeing in that little cup? Even when not pregnant with big belly,  I seem to just be very messy.  
    I'm not awesome at it at any time, but it's totally just a wing and a prayer once the belly is large. And then like maneuvering it back out from under there without spilling is a challenge. At least my OB now has you pee in larger paper cups for all but the first one, they are almost coffee cup sized, so it's a little easier to aim!

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Yes, every appointment to test protein/sugar (I think) in the urine.  I would have thought I'd be better at it this time around, after all the practice, but nope.  
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
  • Last pregnancy I am fairly certain that I had to at every appointment. This time I did at the first appt, and now it's just it my blood pressure is elevated, apparently? Not sure if that will change later on. 
  • My OB's office has you do it at each appointment. I pee on my hand every time.
    kids with flags
  • Ahhh... so, I USED to have to pee on a strip, but post appointment, I've learned they changed their policy since my last pregnancy and no longer do it! However, I do have to provide a first morning urine sample for next appointment. So, so far, one urine sample today, one next. I hope they aren't going to do full urine samples every time now, though fortunately, I get to do this upcoming one at home. I felt like I peed all over everything in their bathroom today.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• First thing they do when I check in is hand me a cup to pee in. I figured it was standard protocol. I have no idea what they're testing for but it's not much of a big deal! If you use the bathroom before you go to your appointment you won't have a ton of urine to control so it makes less of a mess. Hold the cup close to your body and it should all land where it's supposed to ;)
  • First thing they do when I check in is hand me a cup to pee in. I figured it was standard protocol. I have no idea what they're testing for but it's not much of a big deal! If you use the bathroom before you go to your appointment you won't have a ton of urine to control so it makes less of a mess. Hold the cup close to your body and it should all land where it's supposed to ;)
    Same, when I check in they give me a cup label and I just go do it before I go back. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • sleepy33 said:
    First thing they do when I check in is hand me a cup to pee in. I figured it was standard protocol. I have no idea what they're testing for but it's not much of a big deal! If you use the bathroom before you go to your appointment you won't have a ton of urine to control so it makes less of a mess. Hold the cup close to your body and it should all land where it's supposed to ;)
    Same, when I check in they give me a cup label and I just go do it before I go back. 
    This was my experience last pregnancy. It's weird that we're switching to not until 36 weeks this time but I'm not overly concerned as I figure if there are any red flags on the GD test or my BP, they'd test it.

• @wishiwaspreggo I think they test for protein in urine to check for indication of pre-e. Or at least that is one of the things if not the only thing.

I am given a label and I always have them let me pee before they weigh me because IT MATTERS. Its a plastic cup with a screw lid and it has a pretty wide mouth so I don't usually make too much of a mess. It actually works better for me if I really need to pee because there is a steady, predictable stream rather than messy dribbles :lol: I just wipe off the side with toilet paper and it goes into a plastic baggy, then gets dropped off in the ~*~specimen room~*~

• My OB just had me do it at my first appointment and won’t do it again unless they are checking for something specific. I don’t think they tested mine again after the initial appointment with DS. 
  • First pregnancy I did. They would usually send me home with a cup and I'd bring it in at my next appt. This pregnancy I realized I haven't yet, and I asked them. They said it was fine for now if I didn't have to pee (and because I don't have a history of pre-e), but that at my later appointments I should definitely do it.
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • Pee on stick for sugar and protein  :#
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • ^Sugar!! That's the other one!

• After my appointment today, my BP was a little high, so my midwife sent me home to do a 24 hour pee test. Take a look at this huge-ass jug I'm supposed to fill this weekend! luckily it will be cold so I don't have to keep it in my fridge all day! 
  • Thank God I'm not the only one who makes a mess! I've always wanted to ask another person but always forget. 
    I'm in the habit of not holding the cup close to my body because I've had doctor office make me do it again because there were eosinophils and i "contaminated " the sample.  Although,  this was for an actual urinalysis not a simple strip test.  Either way,  it's just a force of habit now.  

@knarlytaurus if it wasnt cold,  would you have had to keep your pee in the fridge? Ewww. I would never look at my fridge the same way again.  

• @knarlytaurus so sorry you have to do that. I had pregnancy induced hypertension at 32 weeks and had to do 24 hour collections twice a week. Nothing like having to go to your fridge to get your pee jug at 2 am.  Hope everything comes back normal. 
  • @knarlytaurus so sorry you have to do that. I had pregnancy induced hypertension at 32 weeks and had to do 24 hour collections twice a week. Nothing like having to go to your fridge to get your pee jug at 2 am.  Hope everything comes back normal. 
    Ohhh you just answered my question.  

• My first appointment they didn’t have me pee in a cup but the second one they did, not sure what they are going to have me do going forward though seeing as I’ve only had two appointments so far. 🤷‍♀️

@knarlytaurus That an intimidating size jug! I take it you have to put all of your pee in there for 24 hours?
  • Hopefully I won't fill that jug all the way up  but yeah - collect all my pee over 24 hours and put it in there. @Stormiewinter twice a week?! Did you have to bring your pie mug to work with you? I was thinking about how many times I pee at night and would have to go outside to get it 😳
  • Every. Damn. Time!  Luckily, this is number 3 and I've gotten better at it.  It's still weird though.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @knarlytaurus - I didn't know PE was possible this early :( I'm sorry you have to do that! I had to when I was 34 weeks pregnant. Fun story.
    I had to lug my pee jar around with me all day at work which sucked. I had everything in a bag and my boss was sitting in the conference room next to my office, which is the only way I can get to the bathroom. I tried to hold it but by then I was so incontinent I couldn't go more than an hour without peeing. I gathered my things and quickly waddled past him trying to avoid making sloshing noises because - ugh, so gross. I held it too long and I was hasty with the urine collection tray and ended up spilling half of it on the floor and on my pants. I started crying and mopping it up with paper towels. Had to get my shit together before leaving the bathroom and waddling back to my office. It was so embarrassing.
  • OMG @wishiwaspreggo you poor thing! That sounds awful. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • OMG @wishiwaspreggo I cannot imagine that at 34 weeks pregnant. FX you don't have to do that this time.

@knarlytaurus good luck! Hope the pee jug results come back all good  ;)

I'm surprised over 20% of those who've responded so far don't do it every time although it does make me feel better about the switch at my office. I know too many people who had pre-e, a few who got it after delivery with some scary consequences, so I have a blood pressure cuff at home and was testing myself at the end of pregnancy (to figure out how to use it and get a baseline) as well as when I was home after delivery to make sure my BP stayed in check.

• Guys!!!  The lady before me in the bathroom at my appointment today took fooooorrreeeeeever to pee in her cup!  I bet she also made a mess.  I heard lots of paper towels rustling around in there.  It made me think of you guys :D  We are not alone!!!  Also, I'm very happy this is the last time I'll have to pee in a cup at each doctor visit.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I had to pee in a cup today. @knarlytaurus the one saving grace about being put on bed rest was that I was at least at home doing the collection. 
  • knarlytaurusknarlytaurus member
    edited November 2018
    @wishiwaspreggo that sounds horrible! The whole pregnant and dealing with public work bathrooms sucks. I was so paranoid I would have to vomit in a shared (stalls side by side) bathroom when I went to our agency's hq 1x week. It's bad enough throwing up in my own office with a closed door and having people knocking on it while I'm throwing up! 

For now, my midwife said it's mainly just to get a baseline in case BP continues to go up and they're worried it may turn into pre-e. It was a high BP for me, but not too bad. She wanted to do this as precaution for later on down the road. I'm probably at higher risk for pre-e since I'm overweight, 37 yo & first pregnancy. But it could just be high BP caused by pregnancy.