1st Trimester

Estrogen and progesterone

hello everyone! I am 6weeks1day and have had some misscarriages in the past. So now I see a fertility dr and they have me prescribed to progesterone and estrogen. Is anyone else on either of these medications? 

Re: Estrogen and progesterone

• Hi There, Congratulations! 

Yes; I'm also on estrogen and progesterone.  The way I understand it, estrogen and progesterone are the natural pregnancy hormones your body secretes.  The shots of progesterone and estrogen pills help supplement what your body is doing naturally and help increase the chance of better fetal development and a positive pregnancy outcome. 

For me the only downside is the bruising on my rear from the intramuscular progesterone shots and heightened emotional volatility due to increased hormonal rush.  I believe I'm prescribed to continue progesterone through week 10, estrogen a bit shorter but I'll know more after an appt on Wed.
  • Congratulations to you as well! I am doing the progesterone suppositories  2 times a day and 3 estrogen pills a day. Not sure how long I am to continue to take them. Do u have any nauesea or other pregnancy symptoms? I have not really gotten any and I am wondering if it is because of the medication.
  • Loading the player...
  • No, I don't really have specific pregnancy symptoms, though I have impacts of the estrogen and progesterone, which are tough to separate from "true" pregnancy symptoms. So far just bloating, sore and a slightly enlarged breasts and mood swings. No nausea or need to urinate more frequently, etc. I'm in week 7. Everyone's so different in terms of symptoms and reactions to drugs, so it's probably tough to say what's "normal." I'm really eager for my next appt so I can talk it out with the MD! So far I'm just trusting the process and happy that there are drugs to help the pregnancy along :smile:
  • I’ve been on both since before our embryo transfer :) the PIO is really no biggie and the estrogen is just pills at night for me anyway. If you do suppositories, make sure to wear a pantyliner! Both estrogen suppositories and progesterone suppositories are... messy:) 
  • Thank you for both of your inputs, and yes it can be messy. We go back tomorrow and are praying to hear the heart beat. Will be at 7 weeks on Saturday