November 2018 Moms

Randoms (m/o November)

obligatory body post here. sorry slacking on the gif.

Re: Randoms (m/o November)

• highsteakshighsteaks member
    edited November 2018
    i’m irritated because i realized this morning that we have zero space in the fridge to store our thanksgiving turkey. plus, grossed out by the thought of a raw turkey anywhere near the babies’ milk. thought about buying a mini fridge just for their milk, but they’re like $100! i so don’t want to waste money on that. i think i’m going to have to cooler the milk this week. and definitely clean the gross fridge out tonight. mil has a ton of stuff in mismatching storage containers; fridge chaos is one of my biggest pet peeves. the thought of thanksgiving fridge chaos this year is making me wish i had some xanax.

eta—btw, i read yesterday that there’s currently a salmonella outbreak for raw turkey products, so everyone be extra careful!
  • M has pretty bad reflux. Thank God for my Moby. I can have both hands and he can be held safely. Dr tomorrow, hopefully for meds so we can get relief. I can't deal with the thought of him aspirating. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @wildrainbow fingers crossed that meds help immensely. 
  • @wildrainbow bummer, I know it's pretty rough with a refluxy baby, hope he gets some relief! DD1 had it and I  had to try special formula to supplement before meds.

@highsteaks fridge chaos also about me, and raw turkey definitely grosses me out near baby milk. I opted to order Thanksgiving this year instead of coming because I would otherwise end up searing the belly on the stove.
  • @hollyeva good idea! where did you order from?
  • Luckily my in laws live in the next neighborhood down, a whole 3 minute drive and are hosting Thanksgiving. I feel bad not going to my side of the family too but being my due date, close to home feels best for me. I'm usually cooking with my father in law all day so we'll see how it goes this year! 
    Doubt I'll be doing the dishes but hoping to eat home cooked food over the hospital options. Sweet potato casserole.... Yummmm
  • @highsteaks our local diner, Amphora, does a catered Thanksgiving meal that you can opt to go pick up on the day of or have delivered. Since I already know the food really well, I'm pretty excited about it! Some folks I know order dishes from Whole Foods or other local grocery stores. 

@ftm_jen Sounds like you got a sweet set up! I'm sure they're not letting you cook or clean this year. My family is going through some drama right now so I've set boundaries to keep stress away for the holiday since I'm due the following Monday. With DD1 we had family in town for Christmas (she was due the 29th, we induced and had her on the 30th due to weight and PACS) and while it was fun because the family we had was low-drama, I still felt like everyone was watching me and waiting for me to pop any moment.
  • @highsteaks First off... They are so stinking cute. Seriously, so precious. I wish I could give them hugs!  <3
    I'm sorry the transition isn't going well. It sounds so difficult, so props to you for trying. I hope they get into the swing of things quickly.
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @highsteaks I feel you on that. One thing that helped me with the nipple pain was do a more laid back position. M has a hard time latching on the left side, thus my nipple was tender wearing clothes hurt. I started trying this position after reading an article on Kelly mom (amazing BF resource, btw) that mentioned trying that position and latching a different way. It's worked beautifully! My nipple is still tender, but the normal I just started nursing tender, not acid fire burning tender. Maybe it will work for you?
    edited November 2018
    @offtoneverland thank you  <3 and how are you doing? how is Sydney?

@wildrainbow thanks for the advice. i’m going to let that nipple heal a bit because it’s gotten pretty bad, and then i’ll see if her latch improves on that side in a laying position. it extra sucks because that side is becoming my underperformer and i’m sure the pain and decreased activity on that side is not helping.
  • @highsteaks Sydney is doing well. We don't have any major updates. We're still waiting on a bed to open at Mt. Washington children's hospital. Hopefully that will happen in the next few days. The nephrologist said that her injured kidney may me making her feel full, so that could be why she doesn't finish her bottles. She'll get a lot more therapy at the next hospital to hopefully improve her eating.
    I've been doing a lot better lately. I still hate leaving her of course, but things are going okay right now and hopefully there's a light at the end of the tunnel! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland I'm glad to hear she is doing well! Ive been thinking a lot about you and her. I'm glad to hear you are doing better as well. Hopefully a bed opens up soon and she can get the therapy she needs to come home to you soon. You are doing so good, mama. 
  • @offtoneverland if you don’t mind my asking, how much do they expect her to eat at a feeding and how often?
  • @highsteaks They give her 70ccs (about 2.5 ounces) every 3 hours. Up until last weekend she had been getting about 65 ounces every 3 hours, but she lost a little weight so they increased it to 70ccs. For the past 2 weeks or so, I'd been really frustrated about it because she was just so tired and never wanted to eat at the right time. But over the past few days, it's starting to seem like the 3 hour schedule really works for her. About 10 to 15 minutes before her scheduled time, she starts to wake up and fuss and show hunger signs. So I think we're making some progress! But she still can't finish a bottle. She usually starts to fall asleep but sometimes she'll push the nipple out of her mouth. Sometimes she'll only drink 20ccs, so it seems as if she probably would not do well yet being at home.
    I'm curious to see how different it will be at the other hospital. Maybe they'll have her drink less or on a different time schedule? One of the nephrologists said that she may not even need advanced therapy for her eating, but they think it's worth having her assessed just in case. That way they don't send us home just to have us come back to the hospital for therapy after she inevitably loses weight. If she doesn't need therapy, the nephrologist said we may be sent home with an NG tube. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland i was wondering the same thing as well: how does the new hospital teach babies to eat? i’m interested to hear about all that if you have the energy to share. thinking about you each day. 
  • @highsteaks I will for sure let you know! I've been asking about it but I haven't been told any specifics. They said the new hospital has tons of PTs, OTs, and speech pathologists who can work with the babies practically all day long. At Johns Hopkins, they only stop by about once a day, if that, so we'll see how it goes once they're continuously working with Sydney. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @highsteaks I had that problem with my underperforming side with DD2 so I did the football position which alleviated it surprisingly. I hope you get some rest, I can only imagine how hard it is with balancing the needs of twins on top of making this transition! They really are ridiculously adorable.  <3

@offtoneverland thoughts are with you guys, Mt. Washington is definitely a great hospital with more resources, I really hope they get you in there soon! (I had a friend whose baby stayed there her first couple of months due to open heart surgery to amend a heart defect.) 
  • @highsteaks have you looked online like craigslist or a 2nd hand store? You might be able to find one more affordable that way. Also YUCK! trkey next to BM? No thank you. Also once my larger nipple shields get here I'm going to be attempting to transition from bottle to boob. Any pointers would be soooo appareciated. Also ugh those two are too adorable.

@wildrainbow I hope the reflux gets better soon <3

BFP 3/21/2020!  OMG We're having TWINS! 4/17/2020
    --------------------------------
    LO arrived 11/9/2018!  We have a baby!
    --------------------------------
    Me: 33 | DH: 41
    Married: March 2016
    TTC #1/IUD out January 2017
    PCOS dx January 2018
    Medicated cycle 2.5mg Letrozole CD3-7 February 2018
    BFP 3/10/2018! 
    -------------------------------

TTGP December Siggy Co-Winner: Favorite Moments from Holiday Movies/TV 
    TTGP October Siggy Winner: Animals in Costume 

• @lurvleybunchococonuts The biggest thing is start pace feeding from the bottle and use slow flow nipples so baby starts to get used to working for the milk. The other thing is to go see an LC when you start to make sure baby has a good latch, etc. Your nipples will thank you. Check out Kelly mom, great BF resource. Don't stay on the nipple shields too long, as typically, babies don't transfer as well. The biggest thing is don't give up, take it slow, and try to latch at the first hunger cues. Baby will be most relaxed and so will you. 
  • M had a rough night last night. I'm a zombie and the toddler is not helping. Meanwhile, we have the tv all hooked and it's pretty awesome. The Auburn/Alabama game is going to look amazing!

Should we do a BF thread for questions, etc?
    edited November 2018
    i tried the laying back position last night, the side laying and football hold this morning. they were all still painful, so i looked more closely and it looks like i may have a deep blister on the underside of my areola. coupled with pink milk during last night’s pump, i’m taking a break from breastfeeding this morning. so frustrating because after getting several bottles last night, it also seems that the twin who was doing great now seems to have forgotten how to latch. so i’ll be starting over tonight i guess (if the blister is gone). 

@lurvleybunchococonuts thank you! why did i not think of that?! also, @wildrainbow’s advice is solid. i had to make the transition with dd1 after 3 weeks of bottle feeding, so i know it is possible. it just takes a lot of effort and persistence. so yea, don’t give up but also know it’s good to take breaks too so you and Lulu don’t start to resent breastfeeding. with the twin that doesn’t want to bf at all right now, i’m trying to bridge the transition by holding her in a bfing position while she gets a bottle. i got the idea from kelly mom.

one more thing, lurvley, have you started cding yet? how is that going?
  • @highsteaks Ugh! I'm sorry about the blister. That sucks. I hope it clears up soon. 
  • @wildrainbow got to say i’m jealous! we don’t have cable anymore, so not sure how we’re gonna watch the game this year (did i ever mention that dh is an auburn alum?). 

what’s going in with M? reflux or wakeful? the girls were really awake last night. and so it begins  :(
  • @highsteaks We don't have cable either. We have PlayStation Vue, we stream it over Amazon tv. We pay $45/month for basically the same channels as cable with all the ESPNs. We love it. You can tell your H War Eagle from me!
  • talking about fridge chaos again. i spent a significant portion of today trying to make chicken pot pie. actually made pie dough, chopped and roasted veggies, made a lovely roux sauce, then dumped in 2 packages of pre-cooked chicken strips that mil bought last week into the sauce. one of those packages smelled a bit off so i turned it over and found out it expired back in SEPTEMBER. ummm, pie in the final stages ruined. all that work and mess for nothing. i’m so sad now i could cry.
  • @highsteaks Oh no! Were you able to save any of the pies or did you have to throw them all away? I'm so sorry.  :'( 
    How is the blister feeling this evening? Any better? 

@wildrainbow Hooray for a new TV! Sounds like you got an awesome deal. 

And I'm super impressed with all of you making the effort to switch from pumping to breast. At this point I'll very likely just be EPing again because I'm not sure I want to take the time to figure it all out, especially with all the concerns about Sydney's eating. Oh well, it is what it is! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @highsteaks omg I’m getting upset vicariously through you. Plus it was your MIL that gave you the chicken. I like my MIL well enough but if that happened to me, even if it was my own mother, my postpartum and overtired hormones would have gone into a fit of rage and I would have just gone ape sh!t
  • @highsteaks I am so sad for you! I know how much effort goes into making chicken pot pie and that is so upsetting.
  • @offtoneverland i just threw away the filling part because it was already all mixed together, but the pie dough is still unsullied. so i can at least use that for pecan pie this turkey day. not a total loss. the blister is feeling better, thank you! also, since you ep’d w/ dd1, could you tell me what you did when you had to feed her while away from home? did you bring cold milk from the fridge, and how did you warm it up for her? emilia is just not at all into eating from the breast, even if she latches she’ll pull herself off, so i’m thinking it will be an uphill battle for awhile. definitely feeling pessimistic with that one.

@arieselle i was really irritated at her at first, but i reminded myself that she didn’t have to buy that chicken for us, and that she didn’t do exactly what i didn’t do—check the expiration date—so it was just as much my mistake as it was hers. what i am still irritated about is that i called her three times to check to see if maybe she had actually defrosted that package, but she never called me back, so even if it was fine i wouldn’t have had time to finish making the pie. also, really mad at the grocery store because how could they overlook that chicken so many times. they should be checking the old packages when they add the new ones.

@ftm_jen so much effort! and it doubly feels like such a waste because my time is so precious right now. ughhhh.

thanks everyone for understanding and letting me be a crybaby.
  • @highsteaks good point- bless you for being able to see it that way- I like that attitude towards it- I should try viewing things from that perspective. At least you could salvage some of it. I’m still impressed at you even making the pot pie in the first place! It sounds delicious 
  • @highsteaks When we went out with DD1, we would heat up a bottle before we left and put it in an insulated bag so it would stay warm. You could also bring cold milk with you and get a cup of hot water while out to warm up the bottle in. Alternatively, you could try to start teaching her now to drink milk cold, that way it's easier on you!
    If you have any other questions about EPing, let me know! 
    I'm so glad you were able to salvage the crusts! 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Y'all our weather is freaking ridiculous! Yesterday it was 70 and sunny with lows in the 60s. Today it's not getting out of the 50s, rainy, and lows in the 30s. All I can think is that someone is going to get sick and I will have to quarantine them away from M. Sigh. 
  • @wildrainbow we're having similar shifts in weather, yesterday it was close to 60 and today not getting out of the 40s. I'm actually struggling with what I think is just fall congestion and hoping it resolves before LO comes! We also cut the cord with cable and pay for youtube tv which we typically Chromecast onto our tv. We also use Hulu and Netflix on our PS3.

@highsteaks sorry to hear about the blister, that's the worst! Glad to hear it's clearing up. Also rough about the chicken pot pie but so awesome you'll be ready for pecan pie on turkey day! 
  • @highsteaks I may be the worst Southerner ever. I hate pecan pie. And red velvet cake. I can make them really well, but I hate them. Hope yours turns out great. 
  • @wildrainbow what?! i get not liking velvet cake because that stuff is an abomination, but heavenly pecan pie too?! why? taste? texture?

what is everyone’s thanksgiving dessert of choice?
  • How can you not like red velvet cake?  :open_mouth:

I'm going to try making a pumpkin cheesecake tomorrow. I wasn't able to find gingersnap cookies for the crust though so I'll hopefully be able to find some tomorrow. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • @offtoneverland oh that sounds so good.
  • @highsteaks I don't like pecans. Growing up beside a pecan orchard, I was basically mocked, lol. 

My favorite dessert is my mama's homemade cream cheese pound cake. She made the best pound cake I've ever had. I make it every year for Christmas. I may make it for T day too. 
  • M has pretty bad reflux. Thank God for my Moby. I can have both hands and he can be held safely. Dr tomorrow, hopefully for meds so we can get relief. I can't deal with the thought of him aspirating. 
    so sorry :( my oldest had awful reflux and needed meds twice a day. I had nightmares about him aspirating.