February 2019 Moms

Mental Health Check-In (11.12-11.18)

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
BMJ born 5.27.2014
MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
SMEJ born 6.5.2016
BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

Re: Mental Health Check-In (11.12-11.18)

• This day...f this. I am over this pregnancy thing. I am not used to being "weak". I was the one that did everything and would not sleep or eat and pick up slack. Now? I can't even work anything over 9hrs without feeling horrid. I get mad and struggle. Then I cry because I am frustrated. I don't do emotions. Now, I have to deal with them and just wish they would go away. 
  • I’m struggling. My OCD is flaring up which makes me really nervous - it was so severe at a few months PP with DS I ended up in an outpatient program (we’re lucky to have great PP mental health resources in the Seattle area, at least) and I’m worried about it happening again. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Loading the player...
  • I went to see A Star is Born. There should have been a trigger warning. I should have read about it in advance. There may have been. 

As someone who struggles with ideation, I should not have gotten anywhere near that theater. Since Friday, I have been a mess. My trichotillomania and dermatillomania are out of control. Thankfully I have an appointment with my therapist tomorrow. I had been doing so much better leading up to seeing the movie. Hopefully processing what it brought up will help me get back on track. 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • Not doing well over here either. Just overcome with anxiety. My son slept through the night two nights ago (the big boy bed transition has been tough!) and I immediately assumed he'd been kidnapped or that he'd died in his sleep. I was so overcome with anxiety that I couldn't even walk into his room to check on him. It's been all downhill from there - just constantly anxious and short-tempered with everyone. Really needing it to be Friday night when I'll have some time off with family.
  • @episcowitch So I’m avoiding A Star is Born until I read about it for sure... I had an incident with a TV show a few weeks ago where I went in with no context and it caused a full blown meltdown. 

@BourbonBiscuits - I have pure OCD and struggle a lot with harm OCD (basically, thoughts that’s something bad is going to harm someone, even things I have absolutely no control over). It fucking sucks. I sorry you’re having similar thoughts. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @kayjay44 the soundtrack is amazing and the movie was well done. However, the climax of the movie shook me from a healthy place to a very bad one. I had finally had everything healed up, but by the time the movie finished I couldn't speak and was bleeding from several places. 

We all have different triggers and tools. I might have been okay if I had read up on spoilers. I also read spoilers of books so I don't get blindsided with reliving trauma. 
    “My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage." - Aunt Frances” 
  • I am the same with obsessive thoughts of all the imagined threats or harms that could befall my son by factors outside my control. Right after I sent him to daycare and went back to work when he was 4 months, I had vivid waking daymares that the city was being bombed including his daycare and I could not get to him. Talk about irrational but the level of irrationality did not make it feel any less intense.  I’m sure it did not help that it was right after the election!
  • @sjnsjnsjn - same here. I knew it was time to get help when I sobbed all the way to work because I couldn’t stop thinking about DH getting eaten by a shark. At a daycare 2 miles from the water where shark attacks don’t even happen. It snuck up on me last time and I’m determined to not let that happen again and I’m noticing some of the same things perk up. The 2016 election happened like 2 weeks into my outpatient treatment and that fucked everything up too. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @episcowitch Thank you for the warning! @kayjay44 I just read the plot spoilers, I'd suggest you avoid the movie, or at least google the ending before deciding if you want to see it. May not be a huge shock if you've seen either of the first two versions, but I have not. 
  • Just read the synopsis - Yep, that would have been bad. I need to be mentally prepared to watch things involving suicide. I still will likely watch it, but I know I need to be in a good headspace since it triggers my OCD (due to the horrible PTSD I had for most of my pregnancy with DD after my brother’s death). 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• I remembered you talking about that as soon as I read about the ending. I don't have a direct reference/trigger like you do, but that will still be a movie I'd watch at home when I'm in control of the pause/play button!
  • megpants209megpants209 member
    edited December 2018
    I saw A Star Is Born when I was completely fine and it STILL shook me. I can only imagine what it brought up for you @episcowitch

Shocker, I’m still struggling over here. The one feeling I wasn’t prepared for was fear. I am overwhelmingly terrified that someone else I love is going to just die. Oh and I’m convinced my dog is out of remission and going to die. It’s exhausting. 
  • @megpants209 - have you thought about seeing someone and/or going to a grief support group?

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• @kayjay44 I haven’t thought about a support group but I did find someone that I’m going to contact in the near future. I’m not quite there only because I’m still so focused on getting everything taken care of for my mother. Once she is a bit settled I’ll feel more able to focus on my own grief. 

I will say I’m not quite as much a Debbie downer as I often seem here lately. I’m just more comfortable writing the feelings out here rather than sharing with a lot of people around me. Went to the gym tonight for example! A little thing but still important :) 
  • I’m so glad I read this thread today. I was actually planning on going to see that this weekend. I won’t bother for now. I can’t handle that topic. 

I’m doing slightly better this week, mentally. It just depends on the day anymore. I’m still planning on talking to my OB, though, and I’m still waiting on my labs to come back from my endocrinologist. 

I am so sorry to all of you struggling right now. I have nothing to add, other than thank God we can all talk to each other. 
  • @kayjay44 @sjnsjnsjn I also have the obsessive, irrational thoughts.  Seriously only thought it was me which I know is ridiculous but I often am like what the hell is wrong with me? I have severe panic attacks thinking about something completely irrational that hasn’t happened but COULD happen.

I also feel like since I’ve had a major death in my family every year since 2015 - I fully expect something bad to happen in 2019.  Because all the outrageous deaths each year that were NOT expected except for my 96 year old grandmother - I’m convinced something horrible will happen to DS like a cancer diagnosis (god forbid) or this LO being stillborn or something seemingly else fucked up.  It’s really hard to shake but I try to cope by taking one day at a time. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Yeah, @danixbanani24, that last one is one my brain has not been able to shake lately.  I have to give myself the “it’s just fear” talk and it will go away for a bit but the feeling lingers with me ...
  • @danixbanani24 - it took me years to get my anxiety actually diagnosed as pure OCD (meaning my compulsions almost always manifest as thoughts rather than physical compulsions). Totally worth looking into if you think you might have it as the medication can be a bit different as are the recommended treatments!

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016