Pregnant after IF

Co-sleeping ideas?

I’m visiting my parents for thanksgiving and I’m trying to figure out a safe sleep arrangement for my 7-month old. We have a travel crib (by Guava) but he hates it. The last time we visited my parents, we ended up letting him sleep in our bed on his boppy because he will not sleep in his travel bassinet (he was 3-month old at the time). I think being in an unfamiliar location stresses him out and he becomes extra cuddly.

I’m looking for a product that lets him sleep in our bed safely, possibly like Dock-a-tot. Has anyone used it? Or do you have any other suggestions?
Me: 41  DH: 46
Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  

Re: Co-sleeping ideas?

• We loved our Dock a Tot!! In Mexico when he was 7/8m we used pillows around him or just literally co slept. But we were comfortable with that based on his sitting, rolling, neck control. he actually sleeps half the night every night with me now - we used to do it when he was sick or sad but since starting daycare it’s just gone that way. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• We have a Snuggle Nest. It works great, but it may be too small for a 7 month old. I will say that with ds1, we coslept from 4 months on because that was the only way anyone got sleep. You can certainly get  something for him to sleep in while in the bed, but it may just be easier to just plain co sleep. If you aren't comfortable with that then the dock a tot may be your best option as it will be big enough to accommodate a 7 month old easily. I'm not sure if any other co sleepers will be as big as the dock a tot. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure dock a tot is really a safe sleep surface, tbh.  We have our crib sidecarred at home and have used a snuggle nest at the hotel, but I agree, it's likely too small for a 7 mo.  Ours will sleep flat in the pack n play tho, not sure how it might differ from the guava one you have (or not).

I mean I'm no expert but if it were me, I'd either save my money on the dock a tot and just sleep in the bed however you all feel safe, or re-try / try other travel crib options.  But the dock a tot is essentially a pillow, so it's really only good for supervised chillaxin, and overpriced imho, for that purpose. 
  • mayflower513mayflower513 member
    edited November 2018
    Snuggle me organic is similar to the dock a tot but the new toddler one may not be much cheaper than dock a tot, worth checking out.  I don’t know if buying the regular one makes sense at 7 months, depends how big LO is.  Also, on Thursday mornings around 9am they put imperfects up for sale and they’re only like $60.  You could always place it in the travel crib next to your bed.  
    Pregnancy TickerAbout me: *TW*

Me: 34, DH: 38                                                                                                                                                                                
    TTC #1 June of 2014  9/14 BFP, baby boy EDD 5/18/15. Elias (Eli) born 5/13/15 7lb0oz, 19 inches.                                      
    Surprise BFP 10/15, live ectopic, lost ruptured tube on 11/5/15 at 8 weeks                                                                              
    Started TTC #2 2/16                                                                                                                                                                   
    HSG 1/18 after no BFPs- diagnosed w/ tubal infertility and referred to RE                                                                     
    3/28/18 remaining tube removed                                                                                                                                              
    IVF 5/18: 15 retrieved, 11 fertilized, 8 blasts -- (3) 4aa, (2) 5aa (2) 4ba frozen -- fresh transfer of 1 day-5 4aa blast, BFP, EDD 2/4/19

• Thanks everyone for your input!

While I do realize that a crib or a separate sleep space is the safest sleep option, I need a plan B just in case. I’m leaning towards @JWatt5 and @wildrainbow’s suggestion and just co-sleeping. If he were younger, Dock-a-tot or other on the bed co-sleeper would make sense but @ 7 months he’s just growing out of it, size wise. He has an excellent neck control and he is strong and I feel that he can roll or move to get himself out of danger.

So the plan A is, pack n’ play playard, and plan B is maybe placing a bassinet mattesss directly on the bed for him to sleep on it, so that it’s firmer than the actual bed. And no blanket for the baby or the adults to avoid suffocation. We’ll bring socks and sweats to stay warm and tell my parents to crank up the heat. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • JWatt5JWatt5 member
    edited November 2018
    @cashewchicken - while the general advice is no co sleeping or seperate sleeping, when you read the research...there’s safe ways. A lot of the accidents that have happened have been due to alcohol or drugs or knowing you have a sleep disorder that wouldn’t allow you to wake up. At 7m Parker napped everyday on our bed and since 11m we co sleep most nights, we start in the crib and if he is Wakes he comes in with me. He still sleep on top of our bedding, just a sleeper, beside me. He slept on just the thin sheet/mattress prior to that and I used just a blanket for me. He’s never cold like I would be if I did that haha. Athough he snuggles with me now. I know some would shame me but it’s what works for us. We did start using a bed rail at 9m when he was with me. 
    Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @cashewchicken +1 to having the baby just in bed with you. As long as you haven't been drinking/doing drugs, push the pillows up and the blankets down. all of my kids have co-slept with me to different degrees. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• @cashewchicken we use a dock a tot - it fits in her arms reach co sleeper & in her crib. It's not 'sleep approved' just like a rock n play but it's been great. I've slept with baby in bed before when it's just me & same, pillows up/blankets down.