April 2019 Moms

Favorite children’s books?

Beyond the classics, what are your favorite children’s books? 

I just read my son “A Different Pond” and I kept tearing up. It was so sweet and touching. 
We also love “Last Stop on Market Street,” “When Paul Met Bernadette,” and “If You Want to See a Whale”

Re: Favorite children’s books?

• I like the crayons books by Drew Daywalt.
  • Board books I love, for both the illustrations and stories:

The Napping House (*love* the subtlety in the illustrations as the different members of the family wake up!)

The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child

Puff The Magic Dragon (I like how the illustrations turn this into a happy story at the end)

My son also loves his illustrated copy of The Hobbit (I believe it's this version, but we got it for free from a library, not for this ridiculous amount - link in spoiler because it's an eBay posting)

And somehow I can't get my text to look normal... ah well.  Those are the top ones I can think of right now.  I'll have to look into your suggestions, @professormama!  We love books in our house (we may have a slight obsession...).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @kangstadt we love all the Audrey and Don Wood books! We checked out Heckety Peg from the library just today. Puff the magic dragon is just too sad though. Also definitely takes me back to my childhood full of Peter Paul and Mary. 

We are also totally obsessed with books. Thus... this thread!! I’m always looking for new book ideas. 

• I love the “that’s not my ....” series from usborne, I sell usborne for the sole purpose of obtaining more books for less$$ haha. I think I’m my only customer. 

I also liked first 100 words book when dd was little. 

The Olivia books (original and a few sequels but not the easy reader versions) are fantastic. My daughter will come up and say “you know, I really wear you out, but I love you anyway” haha. (It’s in the last page of the book) ish. 

one is one is a great counting book. 

• All the World by Liz Garton Scanlon
    My Many Colored Days by Dr Seuss
    Sonya's Chickens and Backyard Fairies- both by Phoebe Wahl
    Quick as a Cricket by Audrey Wood
    The Lion and the Bird by Marianne Dubuc

I also like the Todd Parr books, though they aren't as lovely as the others I mentioned. And Stellaluna by Janell Cannon was -my- favorite book as a smaller child, so I still hold a lot of fondness for it.

We read so much in our house. I could talk about children's books for hours.

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @lyse01 my son loooves The Day the Crayons Came Home - I didn't realize there were more than one! We'll have to get them from the lib next time.

Bug on a Bike
    The Book with No Pictures
    The "How do Dinosaurs..." series
    Dragons Love Tacos

He's also been getting these "Five Minute Stories.." books from the library lately. They're stories that take 5 minutes to read (duh) but there's usually ten or so in a compilation. They're usually based around a character or show or movies or whatever. He loves the Batman and the Star Wars ones. We just picked up an Avengers one on Saturday too. It's nice because we can do 3 before bed and it's a solid amount of reading without having to pick out 8 different books. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MRDCle some of them are colors or numbers board books so maybe too young for your son? I think there’s also the Day the Crayons Quit that are preK-K age.
  • @kbirchtree- I love Usborne books too! I just got All Better and a construction book a few days ago and we read them NON STOP. 

• @bankssl1 I just got All Better to give to DS for Christmas!
  • @MRDCle - Oh, he will love it!! We read it MULTIPLE times a day! Another kind of like All Better is, Little Bear needs glasses. We read that one a lot too!
  • tumbleflufftumblefluff member
    edited November 2018
    DS1’s favorite book is/was Cars Galore.  It’s been read so much the book is practically falling apart.

DS2 loves a flap book about fish we got from Usborne.  I cannot for the life of me remember it’s name but it’s probably something as simple as all about fish.

Personally I like the Knuffle Bunny series, the Day the crayons Quit series, and “If you give a....” series.  We have a crazy amount of books and try to read a couple every night.

ETA:  spelling and also to add we love the Sandra Boynton board books
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited November 2018
    I second Sandra Boynton board books. They are hilarious and some of them come with free songs to play along on the publisher's website. Favorites include: Perfect Piggies, Your Personal Penguin, Moo Baa La La La, But Not the Hippopotamus

The Baby Lit books are super cute and fun. They make classic literature (Pride and Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Moby Dick) accessible to babies and small kids.

Books we currently love: 
    Mother Bruce - a grumpy bear who accidentally adopts a brood of goslings
    Rosie Revere, Engineer; Iggy Peck, Architect; Ada Twist, Scientist - fun art, great rhyming story, encouraging kids in STEM

We really like the Usborne flap books particularly anything space related. The kids love Nibbles the book monster who eats his way through the pages of the book.

ETA: spelling
  • Blueberry Girl is one of my favorites to read to my daughter - it gives me all the mother/daughter feels.  My aunt bought us "City Dog, Country Frog" and warned me that it'd make me cry - I only read it to my daughter once (early PP) and SOBBED.  But it was so good!
  • +1 for baby lit books. <3
  • Oh!  My son also loved and still loves the Bear Snores On book and the others in that title series.

I never actually ended up with any of the Baby Lit books, but I always eyed them in the bookstore!  May get a few for this new LO.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • The red crayon book is great! I bought it for DH’s very homophobic friends baby shower. I’m not even a little bit sorry. We have soooo many children’s books it’s hard to narrow down the bests. I read a lot of DR SEUSS books when DD was little because the rhyming caught her attention. At 5yrs old her favorite are pictured here 
  • @harveyisaboysname I love so many of those books! My son thinks the book with no pictures is HILARIOUS. Also, the ada twist scientist, rosie revere, and iggie peck books are soooooooo cute. We always get the dragons love tacos books from the library, my son loves them but I find them slightly annoying for some reason. I feel the same way about the crayons books. I don't know why I don't like reading them... I just don't. 
  • @harveyisaboysname DS and your daughter seem to have similar book tastes.  I will have to check out the few in there that we haven't read.

His current library fave is "Watermelon Madness."
  • edited November 2018
    DD is 3 and LOVES the Strega Nona stories, which is great by me because I am here for basically any story in which a senior citizen is the protagonist, ha.  (I don't know if they count as classics, but I didn't grow up with them.) 

She is also really into paper diorama books.  Her favorite is The Snow Rabbit, which doesn't have words. It's a really sweet tale about twins. https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-1-59270-181-0

This thread is also encouraging me to look into Usborne.  I'm terrified of MLMs, especially because I don't have any actual friends that sell them but am always getting emails from acquaintances I barely know. Is there any way to look at their stuff without putting me in a situation where I feel obliged to buy ('cause I called a meeting that wouldn't have happened otherwise) or be a jerk?
  • This thread is also encouraging me to look into Usborne.  I'm terrified of MLMs, especially because I don't have any actual friends that sell them but am always getting emails from acquaintances I barely know. Is there any way to look at their stuff without putting me in a situation where I feel obliged to buy ('cause I called a meeting that wouldn't have happened otherwise) or be a jerk?
    It looks like you can buy them on Amazon. No guilt strings attached.
  • eli_belle said:
    LOL, really?  Now I feel like a doofus.  I just always imagined the whole point of an MLM is that you can't get the product elsewhere!
  • eli_belle said:
    This thread is also encouraging me to look into Usborne.  I'm terrified of MLMs, especially because I don't have any actual friends that sell them but am always getting emails from acquaintances I barely know. Is there any way to look at their stuff without putting me in a situation where I feel obliged to buy ('cause I called a meeting that wouldn't have happened otherwise) or be a jerk?
    Only ones on there that others are selling. You can contact any usborne person (self included) and just order what you want with no party. If you order enough it’s like your own party and you can get the free stuff. Just be clear you just want some books and don’t want a party. :) I’ve only sold direct to people never held a party officially. I only joined to get the discount and share the love with friends. 
  • In our house, the current favorites are Library Lion, A Visitor for Bear, Miss Suzy, The Bear and the Piano, Toy Boat (by Randall de Seve,) Circus Ship, Miss Rumphius, and Kitten’s First Full Moon.
    My boys both love being read to, and books are something I think you can never have too many of, so we really have a huge library of children’s literature and will continue to grow it!  
  • when I was a kid, I had a book called "the mountains of tibet." I had a lot of favorites growing up, but I think this one was the most memorable. I think it's out of print now, but I managed to get one of the few remaining copies from a half priced books in town. (actually, they had to order it from another store location in ohio for me!)

it basically describes reincarnation, and how everything in our world is connected. but there is one page that I totally forgot about, when the main character gets reincarnated, he gets to choose his parents, and it's an illustration of a bunch of moms & dads w/ outstretched arms crying, "choose me! choose me!" when I read that to my son for the first time I burst into tears. 

and now I'm crying at work.