April 2019 Moms

Randoms w/o 11/12

Re: Randoms w/o 11/12

• @MRDCle oooh farro is a GREAT idea. Stealing that. Maybe a beet gratin would mask the flavor enough? Or make a beet/goat cheese/arugula salad and knock out two birds with one stone.

@kosmo86 Friendsgiving?

@happymoni21 my family has a lot of stragglers every year. Mostly international students but also, y’know, the med student that rented from my grandparents in 1984. Come on over.

@bankssl1 what’s the worst dish(es) from DH’s family?

also, how did we all forget the stuffing? Tell me how you make yours!
  • I'm so jealous of anyone who gets homemade stuffing at Thanksgiving. My parents refuse to include anything that isn't Stove Top.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • my mom makes homemade oyster stuffing every year and its the only way I eat stuffing, plain stuffing is bland IMO. We also have homemade crock pot crab dip and mini crab cakes. Other then those items, we have a pretty normal thanksgiving spread of food.

• My mom and her family makes homemade stuffing and I just love it!  So good and pretty simple.

MIL makes some terrible version.  Only 3 people at the whole table eat it.  There's boiled chestnuts, chicken livers, gizzards and other terrible organs in it.  No bread.  H loves it and I refuse.  Just the smell while she's mashing the organs in her kitchen-aid mixer is off putting.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • edited November 2018
    @mermaidca That sounds vile.

ETA: i'm getting a little ill just reading that. Ewww.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• Wth is that abomination @mermaidca?? BREAD IS THE KEY. 

And @lyse01 I make that particular farro recipe at home a TON and DH loves it so much he's insisting upon us bringing it this year for T-giving. 
  • I'm so sorry @thatbaintforbetty and @mrdcle it is awful.  I want everyone to experience it because I had to ha.  I want to ask her what all is in it but I don't want her to think I am interested in it.  The first time was also the day I realized I hate boiled chestnuts.  I am so glad I have to sit in the presence of that "food" only every 2 or 3 years.
  • I feel like in-law's Thanksgiving meals are the worst, but maybe that's because we didn't grow up with them so there's no nostalgia?  Although that stuffing sounds disgusting.

I almost never eat anything at my in-laws holiday meals because they make everything with meat, even the mac and cheese if they do it.  I don't like potato salad, every veggie is from a can, and they usually do ham and/or turkey.  So poor picky DS and I usually eat a few canned yams and call it a night :lol:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @snowhite12 Oyster stuffing sounds soooo good!

@mermaidca Not gonna lie, I was on board with chestnuts and chicken livers, but you lost me at no bread (whaaa) and mashing all of it. 

My mom makes Stove Top and fancies it up by adding celery and sausage. Gourmet? Not really, but she loves how it comes out so I love it too. She’s on stuffing duty every year.

I typically make the turkey and a sauteed veggie (usually creamed greens). DH on gravy duty and he is in charge of mashed potatoes- he has no qualms about adding a ton of butter or cream so they always come out good. We make the desserts together- two pies this year.

Growing up, it was usually just my parents and me for Thanksgiving, so we used to do cornish game hens instead of a huge turkey.
  • @lyse01 @MRDCle Wow! So cool to hear about all the fun and personal stuff your different families add to the table. I would be totally for adding any kind of seafood because that's my jam.

When I lived in Canada we used to have a pot luck Thanksgiving dinner with all the biology grad students and there used to be some fun sides of butternut squash and maple syrup and dumplings from the Chinese exchange students. 

Neither me or DH grew up with Thanksgiving though, so for me the christmas buffet is where my family dish out all the different fun homemade courses of pickled herring in various sauces, pates, meatballs, sausages etc. 
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited November 2018
    I have a ban on my account because I posted the check-ins all in one minute. I wonder if tb will let me post this comment.

update: I’m banned from starting discussions. If anyone wants to start the week 4 discussion, that would be great 😂
  • I used to make a lot of stuff from scratch, but last year we did a lot of boxed/prepped stuff. It was good, maybe not as good as homemade my the hours I got back NOT slaving over a stove were totally worth it

@happymoni21 - My first house I bought in 2012 right when the housing market started to go up. It was SOOO hard finding a house. Anything good was snatched up in a day so you really had to be ON it to find something. When we sold it last year it was only on the market for 3 days before we got a over full price offer so it went fast too. We actually built our house this time and it was way more relaxing! Hope you guys find something soon!

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @MRDCle your Farro dish sounds amazing! As a vegetarian, I love sides like that. 

In addition to the turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing we have wild rice that I harvested with my dad and cranberries from their back yard. I plan on making a cranberry upside down cake and some sort of grain side dish. My in-laws buy their meal from a chain grocery store. It’s ok, but no vegetarian options and full of sodium. Not my favorite.
  • @lilpotatomama that's so odd!  I've posted all the check ins before.  Maybe I wasn't as quick as you!  How long does that ban last?
  • @mermaidca it said 120 seconds, but I was definitely still banned past that point!
  • @kangstadt Youch. Meat in mac n cheese? I almost thought you were going to say meat in potato salad too. Yuck!

Married: 11/2011
    DS-9/2012
    DD-7/2015
    Sweet Angel Boy born too soon 12/17/17
    EDD-4/2019

• This is making me very thankful i have only had to deal with mixing thanksgiving and my in-laws once. Although it was a doozy, since there was no silverware. MIL had a total of like 1 fork and 2 spoons in her whole house...wtf?
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @thatbaintforbetty What?? How does somebody not have silverware, especially knowing people are coming over for a meal? 
  • I honestly don’t like most thanksgiving food. I don’t like turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, or sweet potatoes. I usually convince my family to also do chicken or ham so that I have something to eat. 😆 my ideal thanksgiving dinner would be Ham, corn on the cob, mashed potatoes, egg nog, and either pumpkin or home made apple pie
  • @kangstadt @midway_mouse that’s pretty disrespectful knowing they have a vegetarian for a DIL.

@snowhite12 do you have a recipe for that oyster stuffing? We usually do the same as @lin0442 with sausage/celery/stove top, but I’d love to try it.
  • @BarefootContessa, I should clarify, it's usually bacon bits.  So I'm not sure that entirely counts as meat :tongue:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt I definitely find bacon bits questionable as well. That little container of them you can get at the store is neither the flavor or texture of actual bacon. 
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited November 2018
    I’m a thanksgiving hater soooo here’s my current food excitement. I’ve been talking about jimmy john’s pickles for weeks, but I actually don’t like their sandwiches. So I got a Philly cheesesteak from a place by my house and DH got me a pickle from jj’s! Sooooo good, and I finally got some protein in me thanks to that, too. 
    Now I’m just lounging in my snoogle. So far Tuesday > Monday 
  • @ysotte are you talking about the bacon crumbles in the baggy, or the shelf stable “bacon bits” that are hard and crunchy? Weirdly enough, I like those 😂
  • We host people from both mine and DHs side of the family for thanksgiving. This year we’re looking at 25+ people
    My mom makes two types of stuffing. One (my fav) with apples, raisins, celery, and no meat. And then a traditional sausage for DHs side.
    Other sides:
    sweet potatoes
    green beans
    carrots
    my grandmas cranberry jello
    mashed potatoes
    salad
    rolls
    no corn in our house because DD and my mom are both allergic 

Personally my favorite part about thanksgiving food is making sandwiches with the leftovers :)
  • @kangstadt I don’t understand canned vegetables?! At the very least, frozen is not mushy. And Mac & cheese with meat. Yikes! 
  • @chrissdee It doesn't really make sense to me either. Apparently her grown ass daughters would make food, take fork/spoon/knife/whatever to wherever they were going to be eating and often times not bring back the silverware, often times they would bring stacks of disgusting dishes out of their rooms. Or they would throw things out instead of cleaning them. She had paper plates for thanksgiving but had forgotten to buy plastic cutlery. We even bought her a nice set that Christmas and she gave them to one of her daughters. We also bought her a really nice blanket and she proceeded to use it on the dog bed. For some reason she thinks DH and i are unworthy and trash (even though she's literally the definition of the word). She's an ex-ish drug addict with delusions of grandeur and champagne taste on a beer budget, her life problems runneth over.

There is a reason i avoid her like the plague.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @lilpotatomama haha. The hard crunchy ones 😆 i’m not a fan. 
  • @midway_mouse, DH agrees that my family's get togethers have a much higher quality of food stuffs at them :lol:.  Cooking is not his family's forte, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Of course while my husband is out of town, my extremely high strung, large, scaredy-cat dog gets some weird sore on his hip and starts limping. He’s too terrified to take to the vet, so I emailed a Home vet. Will probably have to tranq him even for that 🙄
  • Aww, poor pup @professormama :frowning:.  My dog has anxiety too, but luckily it's not quite bad enough that I can't take him to the vet.

I was an awful parent today.  I had a splitting migraine and didn't even want to adult, much less parent.  Bad day with bad attitude from DS and stress at work.  DS is finally in bed, after much shouting and arguing (And me cursing at my 4 year old... not my proudest moment :confounded:).  Sorry for the whine fest.  Rough week and it's only Tuesday :confused:.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt oh no! What a miserable day. I swear children pick up on when we are at our worst, and respond in kind. Good thing tomorrow is a fresh start. And 4 year olds don’t hold grudges for too long. Get a good night’s sleep, and hopefully tomorrow is better. 

Now I’m thinking my dog is just old and has some arthritis, because he stopped limping (thank goodness). Hopefully that scab is just a scab. Probably still need to get him seen by a vet anyway at some point. But maybe it can at least wait until my husband is back in town to deal with it. I’ll see how tomorrow goes, and make a judgement then. 
  • @ysotte Good luck!!!

I have to do that in the spring and I’m both dreading it (cause moving at 7+ months sounds like hell) and super excited cause it means more room. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• tmblickleytmblickley member
    edited November 2018
    When I went to my inlaws for my first Christmas, DH told them what I usually have (turkey, stove top stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, green bean casserole, rolls, and pie).  Well MIL made her stuffing anyway (bread, sausage, corn, peppers, etc), put cheese and nuts in the green bean casserole (abomination), and I was relegated to the second table in an adjacent room with the creapy relatives.

I love that since DD was born holidays are at my house.  Come, don't come,  but dinner is the way I like it.
  • @thatbaintforbetty Yea, I was originally going to have to wait until around then as well. I definitely feel the sooner the better. We currently just rent a room and have no furniture for an apartment. I could use the extra time to get the place together. I’m also excited for more space. I’ve been wanting to move for soooo long. Now it’s kind of necessary. 
  • snowhite12snowhite12 member
    edited November 2018
    @lyse01 I'll get it from my mom and DM you!

@lilpotatomama my mouth is watering!!!! looks so good!
  • @tmblickley they put cheese and nuts in the green bean casserole?! As the local family green bean casserole maker, I'm appalled at their recipes. WTF.
  • @mermaidca - This is pretty much why I manage all the household stuff. I hate leaving it up to him to get things done correctly. Also Good luck today with the scan! Everyone always assumes we want a boy since we have a girl. it annoys me. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18