Baby Names
Options

"Confusing" Names

On here we often complain when someone asks about a name that is usually more common for the opposite gender and respond with how it will likely cause people to assume wrong when the name is seen written down, etc. Well, cross-gender names aren't the only confusing ones; cross-ethnic names can also lead to mis-assumptions. I heard about a woman named Ingrid who isn't Scandinavian but got invited to a lutefisk dinner because they assumed she was! (Her last name isn't strongly Scandinavian but is common among Americans with that ancestry - think like Johnson or Anderson.)

Re: "Confusing" Names

• Options
    Really common first names can lead to confusion too. I have one and have had myself confused with others by my name quite often, even getting text messages from my roommate's mom that were intended for my roommate. (Shrug). There are worse things. You laugh and move on with your life.
    As long as people aren't setting their child up for lots of ridicule by their peers, I am all for parents picking a name they love.
  • Options
    I have a fear of a criminal making the news that shares a name with me or my husband I child. Then every time you give your name people will think of some horrible crime 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mb0112 That's a valid concern, though thankfully not likely. I did see an advertisement on a bus once for Justin Bieber, Attorney at Law, and boy did I feel bad for him!
  • Options
    mayoduck said:
    @mb0112 That's a valid concern, though thankfully not likely. I did see an advertisement on a bus once for Justin Bieber, Attorney at Law, and boy did I feel bad for him!
    Haha that’s amazing 

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker