March 2019 Moms

UO 11/8

There’s bound to be some good election related UO’s this week!
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: UO 11/8

• @meggyme we have an Amazon fire tablet with Alex, but she usually stays in a different room with the door closed because the whole listening thing weirds me out.
    Not election/political either this am, but my UO: I hate air fresheners - they all just smell like chemicals to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • @lelkcotI used to like air fresheners, scented candles, and would just hang out in Bath & Body Works when I was in high school smelling all of the different sprays. I hate all of that now and can't even stand walking by a Yankee Candle store because it gives me a headache. And I want to gag if I can smell someone's perfume or cologne when they walk into a room. 

Same goes with diet drinks. When I was a kid I used to drink diet iced tea all of the time but now it just tastes like chemicals to me and my mouth has adjusted to drinking unsweetened things. 
  • @meggyme My husband is a gamer and we have an Xbox One, so that ship has sailed with us, but I agree with you that it makes me uncomfortable to know our devices are increasingly listening to everything we say.
  • I agree with all the UOs so far. Amazon or google listening to our household is creepy. Artificial scents give my head an uncomfortable spin. I don't even like heavily scented laundry detergents or shampoos.

My UO: It doesn't sound cute to me at all when little kids spout off bad language and the parents don't care. It is so important to teach kids healthy outlets for dealing with emotional outbursts, this includes using acceptable language. (And I know they don't just pick up these things from home.) 

These are all things I grew up without. Bad language was used frequently in my house and us kids were not instilled with appropriate measures to deal with our anger, specifically. So this is something I struggle with and try to learn better ways about, on an almost daily basis. I have to reteach myself so I can teach my kids. One way I've found is to use as extensive a vocabulary as possible around my house so my kids have more acceptable (and smarter sounding) words to pull from when things go awry. I have to teach them to use words instead of force as well (another thing I grew up without). Being a parent is tough.
  • @Lbloom I don't mind language as long as the kids understand the appropriate situations that go with it. For example, not directed at someone in a derogatory or disrespectful fashion, not at school where it is a distraction from learning, not around grandma who does not appreciate their use, etc. Maybe MH and I are bad examples (we're both sailors) but curse words are just another word to us.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I maybe mentioned this in passing, but I don't think in this thread specifically. I know lots of people love signatures, but I hate them. I think they clutter a thread and make it unnecessarily longer. "Back in the day" before signatures were disabled on mobile, they took up so much space, sometimes an entire screenful just scrolling past someone's sig. I don't mind the occasional gif, but it's annoying to see the same ones over and over again and have these constant flashing images. And some people had what I considered pretty weird/creepy ones that looked like they were from a horror film. And then of course, if you don't have super fast internet, it just lengthens the amount of time it takes a page to load when there's additional images or gifs in every post.

I've been on forums before where gifs were not allowed and images could only be a certain size or smaller. I wish xo group forums implemented that.

Also, I'm not calling anyone out specifically. I only use this on mobile, and I've had signatures turned off for literally years (4+), so I have no idea what anyone even has for a sig currently. And I turned them off before I started using TB, so I've never seen any on TB. 
  • I’m late to this because I was climbing/hiking in Yosemite all weekend. 

I agree with the Alexa thing we have never considered anything along the lines of having anything smart like that. We didn’t even have a tv until I got pregnant and wanted Netflix. 

My UO is in regards to people having to post their I VOTED stickers on social media with some quote about voting. It’s like you didn’t vote unless you told your whole world you voted. I love that we live in Nation we get to vote and evoke change but nobody cares you voted. Same goes for people posting a photo of their kid at the dentist or doctor (unlesss something is seriously wrong and they need prayers) I’m talking like routine  appointments.