1st Trimester

Colds

I have heard it is common to get colds in the first trimester. I'm so miserable with the coughing and stuffy nose. I've only been using a humidifier and vicks. No fever. Just hoping all this coughing won't affect things!

Re: Colds

• What would coughing affect? It wont affect anything, except irritate your throat and chest, just like if you were NOT pregnant.. I suggest asking your doctor what you can take to calm the coughing, though so it isnt as irritating.  
  • @harpseal135 I was kidding more than anything. It just hurts my stomach when I cough causing a sharp pain. I'm sure it's just the ligament pain. I'm just so over this cold; however, I fear it won't be my last as I am a nurse.
  • Loading the player...
  • I’m in the same boat. Soooo miserable!!!  I’ve run the whole gamut from congestion, sore throat, low grade fever... I think I’m on the upswing now but I still feel awful and the coughing has majorly kicked in now. My doc said I could do Robitissin but it’s doing nothing for me because it’s mostly because of mucus 😭
  • @catwaffles I got robitussin DM which has been a lifesaver. You can also use halls cough drops. I can finally live without coughing. I got to the point of vomiting. It was terrible. I so hope you feel better!!
  • oatmeal-loveroatmeal-lover member
    edited November 2018
    How far along were you when you first started your cold? Mine started at 5 weeks and it's been a painful week of coughing and runny nose. My coughing got worse just recently and kept me up through the night. So, I just started using the humidifier, Vicks and taking Zinc Lozenges (limit to 40 mg zinc), which have helped a tiny bit. I'm now starting my 6th week of pregnancy and hoping this cold will go away soon! I'm curious if y'all experienced your colds this early on in first trimester too? @doddlemomma @catwaffles @harpseal135