Infertility

Egg retrieval this Thursday-OHSS

Hey everyone! Tonight we trigger! My egg retrieval surgery is this Thursday. I have 20 eggs cooking in there that are nice and big. I am triggering with Novral and Lupron and will start taking Cabergoline the night before surgery. I am SO nervous about OHSS. Any tips to avoid getting OHSS after retrieval? Any tips about life after retrieval in general? Thanks in advance!

Re: Egg retrieval this Thursday-OHSS

• It took me about 2 weeks to get back to normal, which is when I got my period. I was given half the dose of HCG because it was already so high, the nurse said I was at risk. I slept on the couch in a reclined position, not all the way flat, I heard that helps and it worked for me. I was actually so afraid of twisting and turning in my sleep so it kept me straight. Also, the nurse recommended gatorade, coconut water, lots of salty food (salty nuts, chips and dip, etc...) and soup. You need the salt to absorb all the fluid in your body. Start drinking the gatorade as soon as you wake up after the ER and have some salty snacks in the car on the way home. I drank about 120 ounces of gatorade a day for the first few days then I faded that out. But I kept up with the soup and easily digestible foods for the full two weeks after ER. Hope this helps! Good luck!
  • tosh24tosh24 member
    edited November 2018
    +1 to the salty foods/snacks (salty soups, chips, crackers, etc.) and the gatorade or coconut water. I started drinking the gatorade as soon as I triggered and kept it up until I got my period. Make sure to drink lots of water too. Some ladies have constipation issues after ER so if you're going heavy on the salt and carbs it may back you up so be on the look out for that. I also tried to remain at somewhat of an incline. Other than that, keep an eye on any rapid weight gain, swelling, excessive bloating and/or abdominal pain, shortness of breath, and decreased urine output or dark urine. If you experiemce any of these things call your nurse. Do you know what your E2 is? Good luck!
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the great suggestions. I can't wait to eventually feel normal again! Whenever that may be. Fingers crossed for a smooth retrieval and recovery. 
  • lwalsh87lwalsh87 member
    edited November 2018
    Egg retrieval went well. I am quite sore but, better than yesterday. So far all good news. Out of the 25 eggs they took out 20 fertilized! Now just waiting it out until Wednesday to find out how many survived and then sending those little cuties off to get pgs tested. So thankful so far. <3