3rd Trimester

Steroid injection 31 weeks

FTM here. I've had a fairly stressful pregnancy thus far, most recently have been having brown discharge over the last few days. I had an OB visit today and learned that I have a clot under my placenta which is also currently in total previa position and the clot is directly over my cervix. There is a risk that there could be excessive bleeding in the near future. We already had a planned c section for 12/10 but, in light of these findings, my doctor recommended a steroid shot to develop baby's lungs in case of an earlier delivery. The OB office supply of the medication had expired so I had to go to the hospital to get this done and the RN informed me she'd never injected this medication before - way to calm down an already nervous pregnant woman! Despite this, I had the first one today and scheduled for the second one tomorrow but I'm worried about going back and wondering if anyone else has had to have these before and what their experiences are. 

Re: Steroid injection 31 weeks

• FTM here. I've had a fairly stressful pregnancy thus far, most recently have been having brown discharge over the last few days. I had an OB visit today and learned that I have a clot under my placenta which is also currently in total previa position and the clot is directly over my cervix. There is a risk that there could be excessive bleeding in the near future. We already had a planned c section for 12/10 but, in light of these findings, my doctor recommended a steroid shot to develop baby's lungs in case of an earlier delivery. The OB office supply of the medication had expired so I had to go to the hospital to get this done and the RN informed me she'd never injected this medication before - way to calm down an already nervous pregnant woman! Despite this, I had the first one today and scheduled for the second one tomorrow but I'm worried about going back and wondering if anyone else has had to have these before and what their experiences are. 
    The steroid injection if for the health of the baby, in case you have to deliver early. I have known a few ladies that have had to have them with good outcome with their kiddos.

From the sounds of your issues, I highly recommend getting the second shot and please listen to your doctor as they are looking out for the health of your baby.  Theyare not going to have you do something that will harm you or baby.  r
  • I had to deliver my twins early so I got the max amount you can get.  It helps baby develop quicker so they are better prepared should they need to come early.  

Why are you worried about going back?  You've already done the first one, so personally I would listen to the medical professionals and follow through with their plan.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Please listen to your doctor.  My sister had the shots for her twins who she wound up needing to deliver at 35 weeks due to pre-e.  It helps develop their lungs and other organs and can reduce NICU time for preemies.  I see no reason to ignore your doctor's advice when the health of the baby is at stake.