Baby Names
Options

Too boyish for a little girl??

I’m kind of loving the name Logan for a girl right now but I’m not sure if it’s too out there. What do you think? 

Too boyish for a little girl?? 68 votes

So cute!
36% 25 votes
Too boyish
63% 43 votes

Re: Too boyish for a little girl??

• Options
    My boy cousin is Logan and I know 4 boy logans under the age of 6.  Sorry, but why give a girl a boys name that will be mistaken as boy her whole life? This trend of boy names on girls is a bit crazy...........why not name a boy Alice and see how that goes, not very well. 
  • Options
    I agree it’s a rising trend, but I’m not really sure why. If you absolutely love, by all means go for it, but be prepared her her to be assumed to be a boy a lot. It happens even when they’re not given a unisex/more masculine name.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ve been hearing Logan on girls but I don’t like it. Especially since Logan is still so trendy for boys.
  • Options
    I don't have a strong feeling on it but agree she will most likely be assumed to be a boy. Have you considered Morgan? It's a similar name, more commonly used for girls and not as trendy as Logan.
  • Options
    What are you thinking for a middle name? If it's something really feminine I think it would balance and be cute. But if it's a masculine or unisex type middle I think it's a little too much. 

I knew a female Logan in school and it didnt seem to bother her  
  • Options
    @bumbly_b we aren’t really sure what we’re thinking for a middle name. It’s a something we just started floating around yesterday. But I would definitely want a feminine middle name. Maybe Elizabeth. I’m not usually one to like boy names for girls but the other day our waitress was named Logan and it really seemed to suit her and seemed very unique. Also I’m not really bothered by people assuming she’s a boy in life. They’re realize when they meet her. If anything, it could be good for resumes and help with getting jobs where employers tend to lean more towards hiring males. 
  • Options
    @bumbly_b we aren’t really sure what we’re thinking for a middle name. It’s a something we just started floating around yesterday. But I would definitely want a feminine middle name. Maybe Elizabeth. I’m not usually one to like boy names for girls but the other day our waitress was named Logan and it really seemed to suit her and seemed very unique. Also I’m not really bothered by people assuming she’s a boy in life. They’re realize when they meet her. If anything, it could be good for resumes and help with getting jobs where employers tend to lean more towards hiring males. 

• Options
    Just curious.. If you think her being mistaken for a boy is a non-issue then what would be your concern over the name being 'too boyish'? It seems to me that if that doesn't matter then there shouldn't be anything holding you back from using a name you really like.
    While the boy names for girls trend doesn't bother me personally, there's very little support for it from this particular online community, which tends to prefer tradition, so if you love the name and are just looking for other voices to give you confidence in your choice, you are unlikely to find that here.
  • Options
    I'd prefer something like Lauren or Morgan for a little girl. 
  • Options
    mamahmh2mamahmh2 member
    edited November 2018
    I love Logan for a little girl. I'd say if you really like it, go for it! Speaking from experience (my name is Hunter) I hated my name when I was really young ... but by middle school I was aware of how it made me stand out from the Lindseys' and Brittanys' and now I love that my parents chose something different. Plus, it's more acceptable in 2018 and I get a lot of compliments on it. My middle name isn't "girly" either - it's a family surname from my mom's side. Granted, people do expect a male from my resume and just seeing my name written, but it's always a pleasant surprise to see their reaction and I find people have an easier time remembering me. I know there's not a ton of support for traditional names here.... but go with whatever floats your boat and fits your family the best! 
    EDIT because I can't spell :wink:

<3 Boden Gray 8-13-16
    <3 BB Girl Expected 7-10-19