Blended Families

Frustrated Beyond Belief

Hi everyone! I'm new here and honestly, I just need to vent.

My husband and I have been married for four years. He is 10.5 years older than me - I am 28, he is 39. 

He was married once before to his high school sweetheart. They had one child, who is now 16. Their marriage didn't work, and they have been divorced for over 15 years now.

People ask me all of the time when WE are going to have a baby. And I'm about ready to start punching anyone that asks me that in the babymaker - even my 97 year old Granny whom I love dearly. See - here's the thing. My husband tells people we are trying. But... we DON'T have sex.

I've asked him what I need to do differently. I'm asked him what he needs to do differently. I've asked if there is someone else (which is a stupid question, because I know without a shadow of a doubt that he would NEVER cheat.) He says I'm perfect. He's fine. He's just tired. 

I know that mens' sex drive lowers, but is it common for it to be literally non-existent? I love him more than I ever imagined I could love someone, but I'm so frustrated that I don't even have a chance to HOPE that I'm pregnant. 

Another thing that scares me is that if I do get pregnant, our children will be more than 17 years apart. Heck, my step-daughter could have a child before me at this rate!

Any ideas? Anyone else know exactly what I'm going through?

Re: Frustrated Beyond Belief

• I'm sorry. This is such a frustrating situation to be in! First of all, don't blame yourself for the lack of sex. A lot of the time in situations like these, there is an actual medical issue that needs to be resolved. Has he seen his doctor lately? If not, have give go in for a check up and let the doctor know about his lack of libido. It could be something as simple as a hormone imbalance. However, sometimes it can be an emotional thing as well. Maybe get a consultation with a counselor/therapist that specializes in sex therapy. You can call 855-382-5433 if you need help finding one in your area. There's also a wonderful book called "The Gift of Sex" by Cliff and Joyce Penner that could help the two of you if he's uncomfortable going to a counselor.

As for the large age gap. Yes, it may be awkward. There will probably be a lot of strange looks when your step-daughter is with you. However, having older children when you have a newborn can be such an amazing blessing! There's someone there to help with the household chores, watch the baby if you need to sleep, and even having her in the room when baby is born can help to bond both you and her as well as she and the baby closer together. I have many friends who have large gaps like this with their children. It's not a detriment, it's a blessing. ;-)