Trying to Get Pregnant

Prometrium???

Hi all,
I'm a newbie to posting. I DID flip through the various welcome/intro/rules posts and searched (I tried to just search this board but I got results across all forums), and didn't see a great place to ask this and get broad consensus/input, nor did I find much help, but please let me know if there's somewhere else my ? needs to go.

I was just prescribed prometrium by my OB to try to thicken my lining after getting an OPK, app (Flo), and blood progesterone triple positive, and presumably tied into the fact that she thought my lining looked thin on my US done a couple months ago to rule out PCOS/check things out.

I can't find ANYTHING about prometrium as a treatment for infertility on this site since ~2012, unless it's being used in concert with IUI/IVF/clomid/etc., none of which we're doing (yet). Is it because it's no longer recommended or other options have been found or it's just less talked about, or is there another reason? I do trust my OB, but everything's making me nervous right now as I deal with the stress of IF, as I'm sure y'all can relate to.
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Prometrium???

• Hi all,
    I'm a newbie to posting. I DID flip through the various welcome/intro/rules posts and searched (I tried to just search this board but I got results across all forums), and didn't see a great place to ask this and get broad consensus/input, nor did I find much help, but please let me know if there's somewhere else my ? needs to go.

I was just prescribed prometrium by my OB to try to thicken my lining after getting an OPK, app (Flo), and blood progesterone triple positive, and presumably tied into the fact that she thought my lining looked thin on my US done a couple months ago to rule out PCOS/check things out.

I can't find ANYTHING about prometrium as a treatment for infertility on this site since ~2012, unless it's being used in concert with IUI/IVF/clomid/etc., none of which we're doing (yet). Is it because it's no longer recommended or other options have been found or it's just less talked about, or is there another reason? I do trust my OB, but everything's making me nervous right now as I deal with the stress of IF, as I'm sure y'all can relate to.
    This could go in the chart stalk question thread. 

Otherwise I have no input
  • Thanks. I didn't think it was chart stalk because it doesn't have to do with ovulation/where I am in cycle, and searching just took me in a big ole circle, even though I had this board selected in where it should look.
  • Loading the player...
  • The chart stalk thread is also a question thread posted monthly. Charting is about more than just ovulation. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @coco2787 Thank you! I think my OB's main issue was the thickness of my lining given where I was in my cycle (CD2 and actively dealing with AF, I felt SO bad for her), not necessarily that my lining was thin.
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited October 2018
    It's supposed to be really thin on CD2. Was it like abnormally thin? Or are you saying it was too thick on CD2? So confused. Eta; Progesterone level can be checked 7 days after Ovulation to check to see if you have enough to support a pregnancy. It's not based on uterine lining thinness on CD2. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @suzycupcake She thought it was thin considering the day of my cycle I was on. Not sure her words were that verbatim, but that was most definitely the message, because it stuck with me.
  • suzycupcakesuzycupcake member
    edited October 2018
    Maybe ask her to explain what she means. Most of the lining is shed with menstruation except for the bottom third of it which remains to form a new one later on in the cycle. Progesterone levels aren't supposed to increase until the Luteal Phase of your cycle. Plus, like coco said, it is Estrogen that is prescribed to thicken lining. Progesterone maintains it to support a pregnancy. This is the truth. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• I’m no expert by any means but that seems really odd to do a lining check on CD 2.  I’ll just reiterate that you need to talk to your doctor more about what she was looking for/what she saw.  I also might seek a second opinion. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @coco2787 Thanks. I'll call OB back tomorrow, hopefully she calls back before I'm supposed to start tomorrow night. It wasn't a lining check, I had some of the symptoms for PCOS so she wanted to basically do a systems check, the fact it was CD2 was random coincidence.

@suzycupcake Noted, for sure. As mentioned above, I'll call OB tomorrow and try to get better explanation. Progesterone ovulation positive blood draw was yesterday, CD22, after OPK positive on Friday, CD18.
  • Oh now I get what you meant when you said triple positive. I have no idea what triple positive means, but it seems you're saying she prescribed the Progesterone after your blood draw results. Perhaps she sees something in that number that would make her think that you need to be supplemented for Luteal Phase support. 

But a positive OPK on CD18 and a Progesterone blood draw on CD22 is 4 days later. Progesterone levels peak 7 days after ovulation so this does not make sense to check it 4 days after a +opk to make that kind of a decision. @greeneyedgirl12, get yourself a basal body thermometer to track ovulation accurately, a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility, and advocate for proper testing. I see you have been using Ava so maybe you have been tracking ovulation, but I'm not sure why any OB would be trying to treat you for Infertility with Progesterone. 

Have you been diagnosed with Infertility? I see you have been trying for 10 months. How many of those 10 have you been able to see ovulation taking place? 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake

Yes, sorry, I tried to explain triple positive as the OPK and app agreeing, confirmed by blood draw. Not the best phrasing, especially given the other meaning, I apologize.

I'm thinking she saw something that made her think I needed progesterone, but I am definitely calling tomorrow to try to talk to her, because I fell down this and the WebMD rabbit hole. I should know better, since DH is an MD and he loves to quote the your WebMD search doesn't equal my medical degree line that I know to be true, but when I worry, I do it.

She did mention that the positive progesterone blood draw may be premature and we could redraw it in a couple days, I may still take her up on that. Ordering a BBT now, just bought the kindle version of the Taking Charge book, and I will call and try to talk to, if not make an appointment with, my OB tomorrow.

My cycle is sadly not 100% regular, so Ava doesn't work correctly. I found this out AFTER buying it. When I e-mailed, they said I could still use it, but it wouldn't be accurate, so IDK exactly what the point would be until I get a BFP or my cycle gets regulated.

I have not been officially diagnosed with IF, since it has not been the full 12 months and I am not 35, but there are enough signs to show issues (irregularity, lining, etc.) that we are very much starting down the IF testing road and will contact an RE at the start of the new year if nothing changes. DH has already been tested, so that's out of the way at least.
  • It seems like you are on the right track then and have a good head on your shoulders. I really hope that you don't have to go down the IF testing road and that you'll get KU soon. Fx for you! 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake Trying to keep the good head on my shoulders and not lose it (although I think we all lose our rationality to different degrees at times during this journey). Appreciate your help/input.

Still learning the ways of the boards, but will continue to lurk and try to generally post in threads, for this I just could not figure out where to put it and was hoping to get some extra eyes on it because I searched and searched and all the results were circa 2012, so I was worried it had been disproven other than IUI/IUD.