Trying to Get Pregnant

GTKY Tuesday - 10/23

Tell me all about your worst hair fail (hair cut, color, perm, etc).

Re: GTKY Tuesday - 10/23

• My mom gave me the famous Dorothy Hamill haircut in the early 90s. I was called a boy a few times too many that year. 

Once (again, I was super young) I raised my eyebrows when the hair stylist was working on my bangs. It looked so terrible! Lesson learned!!
  • Loading the player...
  • I have two. When I was in middle school and going through my Goth phase, I wanted a super short haircut (like, buzzed short). I went to my mom's hairdresser who was not convinced I should have hair that short, so I had a short mom haircut - you know, like short old lady hair. It wasn't the worst thing ever, but I was in 7th grade so everyone called me offensive lesbian names and said I looked like a man. To this day, I have a complex about how masculine I look.

In college, I bought a dye called "cinnamon." It was supposed to be a warm reddish brown, which would have darkened up my dark strawberry blonde hair just a little bit. It turned my hair black. And as if that wasn't bad enough, this clueless woman I worked with saw me and cried, "What did you do to your hair?! It looks awful!"
  • I have super thick, curly hair and my mom had no idea how to deal with it. So after fighting with her about it for ever she finally got frustrated enough and in 8th grade she took me to her stylist and had her cut it all off. I ended up with a super short old lady style hair cut. It didn’t look terrible when styled, but of course, I was 12 and had no desire to do anything with it. I cried a lot, it looked horrible on a daily basis, curled in weird places and was really poofy. It was months of hell at school while it grew out. 20 years later and I still have no idea what to do with my curls.
  • Oh @kbrown2385 I so feel your pain. Solidarity for middle schoolers with old lady haircuts.
  • I have super thick, dark brown hair. I've always loved the idea of bangs so when I was maybe 10 I had my Nana cut my 10" ponytail and give me a little bob. It might've been cute on a baby but on a 10 year old I ended up looking like Ms Swan. I think I was 2.5 in this pic. 

TTC History:

Me: 36  MH: 39, TTC since Dec 2017

Aug '18: PCOS dx

Nov '18: MH SA - 19mil

Dec '18-Mar '19: Letrozole + TI - all BFN

Apr '19: Letrozole + TI, - BFN.  Repeat SA (27mil) & DNA fragmentation test (17%)

Aug '19: Letrozole + HCG trigger + IUI + prog supp - BFN (MH: 16mil)

Sep '19: 2nd IUI, same protocol - BFN (MH: 16mil) 

Dec '19: IVF #1 w/ICSI, PGT. 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 3 blasts, 3 PGT-A normal.

Mar '20: FET #1, perfect 5AA blast transferred. BFN.

Sept '20: FET #2, 5BB tsf. 9/18/20 BFP!! EDD: 5/27/21. MMC 11w                                                  

Feb ‘21: FET #3, last 6BB blast transferred. BFP, EDD 11/2/21. MC 5w3d. 

May '21: IVF #2 w/ICSI, PGT. 8R, 7M, 6F, 6 blasts - 3AB, 3AB, 3BB, 4BB, 5BB, 6BA. Fresh tsf 5/13/21 - BFN. 

June '21: PGT-A results = 3 abnormal, 1 low level mosaic. Referred to new REI, had consult with 2nd RE in between. 

Sept '21: RPL, immune testing normal

Oct '21: IVF #3 w/IMSI, PGT. 33R, 26M, 23F, 9 blasts (7 day 6, 2 day 7). PGT-A = 5 normal, 1 mosaic

Dec '21: Positive for endometritis, RX Flagyl & Keflex

Jan '22: FET #5 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol incl. PRP, intralipids, prednisone, medrol, nivestym, fragmin - CP

Feb '22: FET #6 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol w/higher doses of pred & fragmin - BFN

Mar '22: Mock cycle for ERA - cancelled, repeat endometrial biopsy instead. Still positive for endometritis. RX ciprofloxacin & amoxicillin. 

Apr '22: IVF #4 w/IMSI, PGT. 28R, 23M, 16F, 11 blasts. PGT-A = 6 normal. 

June '22: FET #7 - Microdose lupron downreg w/kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol - double embryo transfer. BFN.

July '22: FET #8 - Mini stim w/Puregon + trigger, kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol. BFN. 

Sep '22: Taking a break

Dec '22: Attempted abdominal myomectomy, fibroid too close to cervix and major blood vessels. Wasn't removed. 

Feb '23: FET #9 - Modified natural w/baby asp, HCG trigger, PIO, PRP, Medrol, HCG wash, embryo glue - BFP!! EDD 11/11/23

• kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited October 2018
    @marebear15 yes! I have serious curl envy! Yours are gorgeous! I’ve been working on finding the products my hair likes. I recently got not your mothers naturals and love that! I’m also using garnier avocado mask for a leave in and la looks gel. I have trouble with how much product to use though. I find my hair ends up feeling like there is too much, or I haven’t used enough and it’s frizzy. Most of the time it just ends up in a bun because it makes me crazy. I am trying though lol. 

@riff323 it was a terrible time in my life lol. Glad to know I wasn’t alone! 

Edit for tag
  • @kbrown2385 - You're using the exact same products as me except I switched from LA looks to Aussie Instant Freeze. It has less glycerin which is helpful since I live in a humid area of the country. I use a ton of gel! I section my hair into 6 sections (front, middle, back of each side) and put about a nickle sized gel in each one. I also tshirt dry my hair BEFORE gel, which I know is opposite of what a lot of other people do. And my diffuser is my friend.
  • @marebear15 holy gorgeous hair! 

@kiki047 aww it looks really cute!

@kbrown2385 I'm not sure if you've given this a try, but I really like Garnier Curl Conditioning Creme Gel. It's a gel but it doesn't make my curls crunchy like some others do. I also don't use a comb at all and just use my fingers, and now I only wash my hair once a week (mostly because it's purple and I don't want it to fade as fast, but it makes my curls nicer, too!).
  • @kbrown2385 I have literally the SAME story!! lol My mom had given up so she brought me a hair salon for a cut. Well, we had just moved to town, and this was THE old lady salon. They gave me the worrrrrrst Q-Tip head EVER and I had to start my new school with my hair like that!!  :'(
  • @marebear15 maybe I’ll try the sectioning with the gel. Seems like an obvious step haha. I also T-shirt dry my hair before as well. I have zero patience for the diffuser, although I do try to use it. Really though, I’m just lazy and don’t want to be so extra with my hair all the time  :#. Patience isn’t my friend lol.
  • @literatureandink i swear that haircut scarred me for life. I couldn’t imagine having to start at a new school like that! 
  • @marebear15 WOW your hair is amazing. Beautiful!! That's great that you've found something that works for you now. 

TTC History:

Me: 36  MH: 39, TTC since Dec 2017

Aug '18: PCOS dx

Nov '18: MH SA - 19mil

Dec '18-Mar '19: Letrozole + TI - all BFN

Apr '19: Letrozole + TI, - BFN.  Repeat SA (27mil) & DNA fragmentation test (17%)

Aug '19: Letrozole + HCG trigger + IUI + prog supp - BFN (MH: 16mil)

Sep '19: 2nd IUI, same protocol - BFN (MH: 16mil) 

Dec '19: IVF #1 w/ICSI, PGT. 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 3 blasts, 3 PGT-A normal.

Mar '20: FET #1, perfect 5AA blast transferred. BFN.

Sept '20: FET #2, 5BB tsf. 9/18/20 BFP!! EDD: 5/27/21. MMC 11w                                                  

Feb ‘21: FET #3, last 6BB blast transferred. BFP, EDD 11/2/21. MC 5w3d. 

May '21: IVF #2 w/ICSI, PGT. 8R, 7M, 6F, 6 blasts - 3AB, 3AB, 3BB, 4BB, 5BB, 6BA. Fresh tsf 5/13/21 - BFN. 

June '21: PGT-A results = 3 abnormal, 1 low level mosaic. Referred to new REI, had consult with 2nd RE in between. 

Sept '21: RPL, immune testing normal

Oct '21: IVF #3 w/IMSI, PGT. 33R, 26M, 23F, 9 blasts (7 day 6, 2 day 7). PGT-A = 5 normal, 1 mosaic

Dec '21: Positive for endometritis, RX Flagyl & Keflex

Jan '22: FET #5 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol incl. PRP, intralipids, prednisone, medrol, nivestym, fragmin - CP

Feb '22: FET #6 - Kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol w/higher doses of pred & fragmin - BFN

Mar '22: Mock cycle for ERA - cancelled, repeat endometrial biopsy instead. Still positive for endometritis. RX ciprofloxacin & amoxicillin. 

Apr '22: IVF #4 w/IMSI, PGT. 28R, 23M, 16F, 11 blasts. PGT-A = 6 normal. 

June '22: FET #7 - Microdose lupron downreg w/kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol - double embryo transfer. BFN.

July '22: FET #8 - Mini stim w/Puregon + trigger, kitchen sink immune/RIF protocol. BFN. 

Sep '22: Taking a break

Dec '22: Attempted abdominal myomectomy, fibroid too close to cervix and major blood vessels. Wasn't removed. 

Feb '23: FET #9 - Modified natural w/baby asp, HCG trigger, PIO, PRP, Medrol, HCG wash, embryo glue - BFP!! EDD 11/11/23

• @kbrown2385 - I normally only diffuse for about 10 minutes. Just enough to get it a little crunchy but still damp. I don't have time to dry it all the way dry. Then I air dry it overnight because my hair takes about 12 hours to dry. 
  • @marebear15:  I have major curl envy!!  

My horror story (ies):
    1.  Tried dying my blonde hair "strawberry blonde" in 7th grade.  Turned everything that was lighter (summer pool highlights) fluorescent orange.  Then it all sweated down my face at cheerleading practice.

2.  Cut my own bangs in 8th grade (trimmed the whispies into a true "fringe") that were of course super short.  Tried slicking back at a football game (cheerleading again), and as we cheered, the short little fringe started popping up/out into a little short lions mane off my forehead.  

3.  Got a short haircut my sophomore year of college.  That was okay, but as I tried to grow it out, it grew into a STRAIGHT-UP mullet.  I had no idea what to do, but was afraid to cut it again.  Awful few months of mullet-wearing.

4.  Finally, junior year of college, mullet finally grown out somewhat, my friend and I decided to try to do a home-perm on my hair.  Never do that.  NEVER. 
  • My cousin went to gloss my frizz for me (because wholly frizz batman) the week before I started high school. Her MIL was a beautician, so we went to get the ingredients needed for the gloss. They gave us the wrong additive, and when we took the towel off, I had strawberry blond streaks through my brown-black hair. My cousin (who was 22/23 at the time) FREAKED, talking about how my mom was never gonna let me hang with her again, yadda yadda. Dragged me back, got dye, the right additive and we started from the beginning.

All the subsequent hair work, my hair was still pretty damn frizzy, but it was back to my normal color for school. It scared me off doing anything aside from some very minors tips for about 15 years. 

Agree, @marebear15 OMG, your hair is freaking gorgeous!
  • @marebear15 I tried doing the curly girl method earlier this year. I definitely got more curls, but I decided I can't really commit the time to follow that all the time. Plus I haven't found a good routine on the refresh days. I tried using lube for taming frizz and flyaways on refresh days but I felt it was too sticky so I dontd really use it now. And I can't even use it while we're TTC since itsi not sperm friendly!

As for the haircut, my worst was when I went in for a trim some years ago. I didn't ask them to trim my bangs as they were still at a good length. Well, without even asking the stylist snipped my bangs above my eyebrow and that was the worst 2 weeks of my life waiting for that to grow out to a not-awkward length. I know bangs like that can be stylish, but not on my face.

A haircut I did eventually regret getting was back in 2009. It was super short in the back and longer in the front (similar to how Victoria Beckham styled her hair at the time). It was great for a month or so but as I was letting it grow out it did not grown out evenly. Also I had the cut done at a beauty school so the cost was cheap, but my mom waited for me for almost 3 hours in that chair. Thank God she had brought a book to read!
    *TW* History:
    Me: 34 DH: 36 | Together since 2007 | Married July 2016

TTC #1 since 7.2017
    Dx: low morph (1%), ANA positive, low decidualization score, high TSH and testosterone, histone antibodies

IUI #1-3 all BFN
    IVF #1 | 6.11.19 | 24R, 17M, 15F, 6B, PGT-A tested - 5 normal, 3 girls & 2 boys
    FET #1 | 9.10.19 | BFN "I know you, but we've never met. I'm with you, but I don't know your name"
    RPL, Receptiva, & ERA testing | all normal/negative, recommended going on gluten and dairy free diet for next FET
    FET #2 | 3.31.20 | Opted to cancelled due to pandemic, continued diet and tried naturally over the summer
    2nd Opinion with another RE | 8.20.20 | Not immune to measles (received 1 dose); SA results similar to 2 years ago; decided to move forward with FET #2 redo at start of next cycle
    Surprise natural BFP! | 9.22.20 | MC 10.23.20 at 8 weeks
    TTCAL naturally | starting 11.22.20

Initial consultation with Reproductive Immunologist | 9.14.21
    Decidualization score biopsy | 10.1.21 | abnormal - low score of 1; endometrial scratch recommended and progesterone supplementation
    Saline sono | 10.15.21 | normal
    Bloodwork | 10.21.21 high TSH, high testosterone, positive for anti-nuclear antibodies and histone antibodies, high protein S, multiple genetic mutations
    BFP! | 11.3.21 | EDD 7.14.22 B) | biopsy provided same effect as endometrial scratch; added supplemental progesterone and estrogen, prednisone, levothyroxine, and MTX Support to maintain pregnancy
    DS born 7.19.22 after induction

TTC #2 begins 6.2023
    Consultation with RI | 6.6.23
    Saline sono, endometritis biopsy, skin & eye check | all normal
    Labs | high TSH, Factor XIII mutation, high %CD56
    Follow up | 8.8.23 | prescribed metformin, prednisone, plaquenil, and levothyroxine
    Repeat labs after 3 weeks on meds
    Follow up | 11.9.23 | Green light!, increase in prednisone, added lovenox
    Repeat labs in 8 weeks
    Follow up | 1.16.24 | Green light continues
    TTC put on pause
  • I had a picture come up in my Timehop on Saturday from junior year of college. I had these awful highlights! They weren’t blended very well at all and just looked like a bunch of stripes in my hair. I haven’t done highlights since! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kbrown2385kbrown2385 member
    edited October 2018
    @marebear15 I tried the sectioning and then applying product and my hair feels less “producty” (let’s pretend that’s a word), but the frizz is crazy. Any tips? Hopefully this is a good enough pic to see what I’m talking about.

• @kbrown2385 - Did you use as much product as you normally would? Did you ever get a cast? Also, are you using a method for applying like raking, praying hands, or squishing?
    I feel like it could be a couple of things. My hair looks like that when I don't use enough product or mess with my hair too much before I get a nice hard cast. Also, my hair looked like this when I needed to add a bit of protein into my routine. I'm protein sensitive, so I added one wash of Shea Moisture Coconut shampoo about every month. Any of the Shea Moisture products would probably help because most of them have silk protein in them.
    Oh, one more question, do you know your hair porosity?
  • @marebear15 I did get a cast, especially towards the front, and waited until it was dry before breaking it. My hair is so long it’s hard not to lean on it or move it so I’m sure the cast broke in the back a little. I applied with praying hands and then squished. It’s possible I didn’t use enough gel, so I could try more next time. 

Ive tried the Shea moisture coconut and didnt like how my hair felt. I have no idea what my porosity is. I could never figure it out. 
  • I wish I had a picture of this. I tried to use one of those highlight kits in a box right before I started high school. My friend used them and her hair always looked nice so I thought why not? I put way too much product on and ended up with orange hair (my hair is light brown, was trying to do blonde highlights) from my part to like 4 inches past my part. My mom dragged me to her salon to get it reversed. 
  • Got lice at summer camp one year and didn't want to leave for too long so my mom had allll my hair cut up to a pixie. I do not have the face shape nor was/am I skinny enough for that hairstyle. The worst part was it did not grow out in time for school photos, so there's evidence.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Back in 2nd grade, I watched an episode of Oprah with my mom. It was a makeover show, and I thought I’d was a great idea. Basically, I got my hair cut up past my ears. Very pixie-esque. 
    November Siggy Contest - Thanksgiving Fails!
    Image result for joey turkey friends
  • @greeneyedgirl12 I got lice at a camp too. It was a 5th grade overnight class trip and a lot of the girls came back with lice. I remember it taking forever to get rid of them. 
  • All my curly haired ladies! Please check out living proof in-shower styler! I love it! And I just have to scrunch my hair and call it a day! 

Bonus points if you read that as Beyoncé’s “All my single ladies”. 

PS I forgot how my mom would iron and then tease my hair for picture day. Unfortunately the photo is cropped but she LOVED to mess with my bangs. Why did I have bangs? 😂

TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • edited October 2018
    @brookert615. Straight(ish)-haired lady here. I love it too. I probably use it slightly differently than you do, but it works so well. You just have to figure out/get used to what "rinse lightly" means  :D, and you're golden.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @greeneyedgirl12 hahah yes it is confusing at first for sure! I’ll even towel dry my hair lightly and then work it in some days, too!
    TW
    BFP 6/3/19 EDD 2/14/20 BFP 4/15/21 EDD 12/20/21
    Diagnosed with PCOS & Hashimoto's
  • My hair suddenly decided to be thick, crazy curls, after a lifetime of pin straight hair. I changed nothing in my routine. I looked a MESS until I figured out what to do with it.

• Week before HS senior photos I got my hair cut so badly it essentially looked like a mullet. I had to chop it off into a bob to make it look decent. I was devastated because I had spent all of high school growing it out for my senior pics/senior homecoming/prom/etc. 

Also, any time I’ve decided to see how layers would look. Layers don’t work for me. Ever. Not 10 years ago. Not one year ago. Now, if anyone ever hears me mention layers STOP ME. 

• I got a mullet one time like 10 years ago from a hairdresser and I am still angry about it. lol