Infertility
Options

Polyp removal - what to expect?

Tulips29Tulips29 member
edited October 2018 in Infertility
Did anyone go through a hysterogram (I think that's what it's called) for a polyp removal and can tell me what to expect? Some background information - while prepping for our second retrieval cycle, my RE noticed what he thinks is a polyp in the uterus and won't move forward with the retrieval until it's removed. He said it's likely nothing serious, although he did say there's a 1% chance it may be cancerous, and he'd need to biopsy it to double check. That made me super nervous. Did anyone have this before and can tell me what to expect? Did a polyp removal change anything for you? Appreciate any and all feedback. 
***History & TW in Spoiler***

***bfp & child warning***
TTC - since 2014
7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
IUI #1 - October 2015 - BFN
IUI #2 - November 2015 - BFN
IUI #3 - December 2015 - BFN
IVF #1 - March 2016
Retrieval #1 - April 2016
FET #1 - May 2016 - BFP!!! DS - Born January 2017
Trying for baby #2...
FET #2 - January 2018 - BFN  
No more embryos left; switched to a new RE
IVF/Retrieval #2 - January 2019
IVF/Retrieval #3 - March 2019
FET #3 - April 2019 - BFP!!! - DD: Born December 2019
Trying for baby #3...
FET #4 - October 2021 - BFP!!! - Due June 2022

Re: Polyp removal - what to expect?

• Options
    Hmm I can't really give you any advice about the procedure itself... but I am actually going through a similar situation! My doctor noticed what she thought was polyps on my first HSG so I have to go for a SHG one next week to confirm! After that, she said that it would be a very minor surgery to remove them. I did do a bit of research and it seems like it's a pretty simple process, minimally invasive, and short recovery time . I've read that people can usually roll right back into treatments after the surgery and some even have success during the very next cycle! 

Anyways, I don't know if that was helpful or not since I technically haven't gone through it yet... but don't be too nervous! You will be okay! ^^ 
    History: *TW Loss*

Me: 31

DH: 27

D/X: Unexplained Infertility- Unexplained Recurrent Loss

Oct IUI- CP

Dec IUI- CP

Feb IUI- Loss @ 7 weeks... Euploid Male

May IUI: TBD

• Options
    @sarahtothea thank you for your response. It seems like it's a simple procedure, I just got nervous when he mentioned the C word, but I realize they have to be overly cautious also. I hated the recovery from the first retrieval, so a bit worried about this too. I hope your second HSG goes well next week too! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey ladies.. I actually had a polyp removal last month. It is a routine procedure and there is nothing to worry about. I felt groggy that day from the anesthesia and had a little spotting for a couple of days but the pain is minimal. I am going on to do an IUI this cycle so hopefully will be the month of success. A friend of mine also got pregnant with IVF the cycle after her polyp removal. I wouldn't worry about the C word... it is very rare. I have my fx for you ladies!
  • Options
    @bobella22 That's great to hear that the procedure went well. Wishing you the best of luck with your IUI cycle and FX for success! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    I haven't but am thinking of you! It sounds super routine so try not to stress about it.  Plus if they use twilight anastasia for you its awesome lol! I don't think I've ever been so relaxed in my life!
    Me 32 DH 36, Married 12/2013, TTC Since 9/2015
    Diagnosis: Unexplained 
    2 IVFs, 8 IUIs (2 Clomid, 6 Injectables)
    Nov '16: TI Clomid- 2 Follicles, BFN 
    Dec '17: IUI Clomid- 1 Follicle, BFN 
    Jan '17: TI Clomid - 1 Follicle, BFN 
    Feb '17: IUI Clomid - 1Follicle, BFN
    Mar '17: IUI Inject - Canceled (Cyst) 
    Jun '17: IVF Antagonist, 13ER, 10Fert (5ICSI, 5Nat)  - No Blasts, 1 D5T, BFN
    Sep '17: IVF Antagonist, 14 ER, 4 Fert (All ICSI) - 2 D3T, BFN
    Nov '17: IUI Inject - 4 Follicles, BFN
    Dec '17: Laparoscopy Endo - Neg (No Endo)
    Feb '18: IUI Inject - 4 Follicles, BFN 
    June '18: IUI Inject - 5 Follicles, BFP -> CP 
    Aug '18: IUI Inject - 1 Follicle, BFP -> Ectopic 
    Sep '18: IUI Inject - 7 Follicles, No Trigger, Missed O, BFN
    Currently on BCP to gear up for Nov '18 IUI 
  • Options
    @cxsimo08 haha thank you! It is quite relaxing, but I have no veins and I'm more scared of them finding where to stick the needle vs anything else. Thank you for your feedback and thoughts. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    Holls214Holls214 member
    edited October 2018
    I had one removed before IVF. Make sure to get put to sleep. My insurance didn’t cover that so I was awake and it was terrible. It didn’t hurt or anything just super weird And terrifying being awake during surgery... I was a little sore and spotted for a couple days afterwards but after that it was all good. 
    TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy. 
  • Options
    @Tulips29 I just had a hysteroscopy last month for polyp removal. It was a piece of cake performed at an outpatient surgical center (not a hospital).  It's a pretty light dose of general anesthesia, they go in, remove the polyps and not too long after your awake.  No pain for me, no cramping--really other than being groggy from anesthesia for a few hours (i'm a lightweight!)  it was like nothing happened.  I did have bleeding for a few days after and then got my period so it seemed like a bled longer than ususal but it was the combo of the post surgical bleed and my period that made it seem like a longer time.   In prep for the procedure, my RE put me on the BCP to control my cycle for the procedure--they want your lining to be very thin so they can see everything that could be abnormal.  They send the polyp to the lab to make sure there's no cancer---don't be too nervous.. just think, anytime there's any abnormal growth in your body, any doc worth their salt would sent for testing so this  is standard procedure and there is, as you note, an extraordinarly low chance of any problem!
    Good luck!!
  • Options
    I had a polyp and two fibroids removed a few months ago. As described, the procedure was done under anesthesia. Afterwards I had spotting and cramps but not more than a usual period, I just took ibuprofen and that was enough. My doctor also gave me stronger pain meds just in case but I ended up not using them. However, the surgeon said they had to end the surgery before they removed all of the tissue. (They fill the uterus with fluid during surgery, and must stop after two hours to prevent too much fluid from getting into the body.) I still have two more fibroids.

But the period after the surgery, and subsequent cycles since then, have been unusually painful and heavy. This may be because of the remaining fibroids. I'm likely going to have a second surgery to remove the rest and hopefully things will get better after that. I'm TTA/benched until this all gets sorted out.

Hopefully if it sounds like you only have one polyp, this will be easy to remove and they will get everything with one surgery! Wishing you a safe surgery and recovery.
  • Options
    Thank you for the feedback, ladies! I have my surgery date confirmed for next month and am anxious to get the IVF ball rolling once it's done. Hopefully everything goes smoothly! I'm a big baby when it comes to these things. 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    @sailorariel I hope you get those remaining fibroids removed quickly! Doesn't sound too pleasant to be in more pain because your body is not cooperating. And hopefully you can move forward and get taken off that bench once you have your next surgery! FX for you girl! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...
    Trying for baby #3...

• Options
    @Tulips29 I've had 3 (damn that endo) over the past 10 years. It's much more common than most people know and it's great that your RE is taking care of it. Like @NicWalker10 , the one I had while on OCPs was probably the least painful, but I went back to work the next day after all 3 procedures (and I'm on my feet all day at work!). Also, I hear it's even better for implantation since you'll have a beautiful, fresh lining ready for your FET!

• Options
    firewife424firewife424 member
    edited November 2018
    @Tulips29 *edited so I could tag the orignal poster*
    Hey, I am sorry I have more questions than answers as I am going through the same thing right now. I got pregnant around 7/21 and had a BFP on 8/5 but miscarried on 9/24 and had a d&c on 9/25. At a follow up ultrasound on 10/11 they saw what they thought was a blood clot in my uterus and instructed me to take cytotec to try to clear it out of there. After taking two doses of cytotec the ultrasound showed that the "clot" was unchanged and is 1 cm in size. They think now that it could be a polyp. They told me to wait for my period because that still hasn't arrived. After the period they will repeat the ultrasound and if it's still there they may recommend a hysteroscopy and polypectomy. I have googled things but lots of scary stuff out there. I know my risk of cancer is low because I am 30, but I am still anxious. I was just wondering if you had yours removed and how it went? Thanks, and best of luck.
  • Options
    @firewife424 Hi, I'm sorry you've had to go through this and I'm so sorry about your loss. I am having my procedure in 2 weeks, so can let you know then how it goes. I'm also super nervous about the cancer part, but my doctor thinks it's less than 2% chance, so I will keep my fingers and toes crossed he's right. I hope the same for you! 

TTC - since 2014
    7 rounds of Clomid - BFN
    IVF #1 - March 2016
    Trying for baby #2...