Breastfeeding
Options

HELP! Breastfeeding issues.

sbrenenstuhlsbrenenstuhl member
edited October 2018 in Breastfeeding
So my breastfeeding journey has been rather difficult. I sometimes exaggerate and call it a breastfeeding nightmare. Needless to say here is my issue: I currently have an area on my right nipple that is damaged. It got damaged when I was trying to get out one of those dried milk granules that was causing a major clog. I picked at it too much, got it out, but now the area is trying to heal. The problem is as it is healing it blocks the hole on the nipple causing the milk to back up and a clog to happen. I have reopened several times, getting the clog out, but causing, I feel, more damage. This was going on for about 3 weeks. Finally I decided to go back to a breastfeeding clinic by me. The doctor gave me an antibiotic and steroid ointment to help heal/keep it open. The steroid ointment does keep it open if I keep putting it on after every feeding, but when I stop it closes back up.  When I add the antibiotic ointment I feel it closes up right away. So currently it is again closed, and I've decided to just go ahead and leave it closed, while continuing to put both ointments on it after each feeding until it heals. Yet there is already a clog the size of a pear. This one hole leads to a lot of ducts I believe. The clog feels hard but is currently not tender. I DO NOT want to reopen the area because I feel I will just be back at square one trying to keep it open, and I don't want to have to put steroid ointment on it for the rest of my breastfeeding journey.  I don't go back to work until November 15th. My son is 4 months old. I would like this to resolve before going back to work. I'm hoping that if I keep doing the ointments, it will heal and the hole will be open again or that if it closes the milk gets reabsorbed. I'm afraid of getting mastitis, but I really don't see what else I can do unless I want to keep opening it up for however long I continue to breastfeed. Let me add that opening it up is not easy as the damaged area is larger than just the hole, so it's hard to pinpoint where the hole is and thus causes a lot of damage opening it back up. I'm sorry this is a book, but I guess I'm just looking for support and to see if anyone else has experienced something similar? If so how long did it take to resolve? 

P.S. Not to sound rude, but I don't need advice on how to unclog a clog. I know how to do that as I've had so many, and I take plenty of lecithin. I just specifically want to know if anyone else has had this experience and what happened please. 

UPDATE: I let it go and after the 2nd day it opened back up on its own! It was uncomfortable, but it worked. I used prayers as well, so thank you God! Hopefully, this can help someone else who is having the same issue!

Re: HELP! Breastfeeding issues.

• Options
    I should add that I asked the doctor at the clinic what if it doesn't open again, and she said the milk would reabsorb, but she also preemptively prescribed me antibiotics in case I get mastitis.