June 2019 Moms
Options

Plus size Mom check-in (10/10)

Hello there lovely ladies! I hope you’ve all had a rather uneventful week. 

Mine has been for the most part, although my nausea is insane! I can barely eat half a fruit without getting sick and feeling rotten. I’ve lost 10lbs in the last week, and no matter how “plus” I am, I don’t think that that’s good. I did call my Midwife and spoke with the nurse, but I didn’t get the chance to tell her how much I’ve been loosing, because as soon as I told her I haven’t thrown up she stopped listening to me. So now I’m hesitant to call back at all. 

Any advice? Has this happened to of you before? 

Re: Plus size Mom check-in (10/10)

• Options
    It didn’t happen to me last pregnancy, but one of my close friends lost weight during one of her pregnancies because of nausea. I’d tell your doctor that you haven’t been able to eat. My friend was closely monitored for her weight loss.
  • Options
    I lost 20 lbs my first tri last pregnancy because of food aversions. I threw up a few times but it was mostly just not being able to eat. My Dr. this time told me to immediately start b6 and unisom if I start losing weight due to the inability to eat. Maybe talk to them about starting that? When is your next apt?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My first appointment will be the 6th of November. I’ll be about 11 weeks by then. It was the soonest they had free for the ultrasound. I think I’ll start the b6 
  • Options
    ellem29ellem29 member
    edited October 2018
    Hi ladies. Introducing myself to this thread! 5'3", size 1X over here. Like many of you mentioned in older posts, I'm getting nervous about the treatment I'll get. I lost around 60 lbs prior to pregnancy as part of my ttc plan, but I'm still big (BMI classifies me as solidly obese, rather than "overweight," for reference.)

I've been seeing my reproductive endocrinologist (RE) for all my tests thus far, and she's been great/very supportive. But I'll be transitioning out of her care after my ultrasound on the 24th. I'm hoping I'll be able to see a midwife, but worried my weight & age (34) will mean they'll force me to start with a traditional OB. From talking to my group of offline plus-sized mama friends, it seems that midwives are generally better with weight/body issues than OBs/docs. 

Since my RE knew about my prior weight loss efforts, she was really optimistic and encouraging. But, with a new doc who doesn't know my history, it's hard to predict how it'll go. My old GYN was terrible to me about my weight, so I refuse to go back to her. Fingers crossed someone new will be better!

Edited to add: Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread. Wasn't sure if I should post in the first check-in, or just join this one since it's more recent.
  • Options
    @ellem29 oh, either one is fine. I’m just glad I checked this one again and saw your post. So, my advice and little bit of encouragement that I hope I can pass on to you, that I have to also keep telling myself, is that you get to choose everyone that you work with. You are literally paying them for a service, and if they’re rude to you, you get to say “peace out” and move on. Don’t ever feel bad about doing that. We as plus sized women are marginalized and made to feel bad about ourselves all the time, and the last place anyone can do that to me is when I’m paying them. I have to tell myself this all the time. I used to think that I had to just bow down and listen to everything a dr would tell me, but you really don’t, and it’s empowering. 

I hope we see more of you on here, and I’ll be hoping for a happy, healthy, boring nine months 😊