May 2019 Moms

Symptoms - October

Re: Symptoms - October

• Awww @eatinwatermelonseeds ! Im so sorry.  But hopefully it won't be this bad the entire pregnancy! Allow yourself to feel all the emotions but know when to move on.  Hugz to you. 

• Thank you @expandcontract I really hope you're right, but I'm really afraid it will be. I remember by the end of my pregnancy with my son I was just so emotionally exhausted I cried at the thought of getting pregnant again-- simply for the emotional toll it took on me. Apparently I forgot about all of that before I got pregnant lol but it's all coming back to me now 😩😂
  • Loading the player...
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds ugh I feel your pain on the hormones. When I was pregnant with my dd I had a meltdown the same day every week like clockwork, and even though I knew it was coming I couldn’t do anything about it, which made it worse. A lot of mini meltdowns in between too of course haha. Hasn’t hit me yet this time and fingers crossed for both of us maybe it won’t be so bad this time around. 
  • @expandcontract I've never taken Diclegis, but if it's the same as Unisom+B6, that made me suuuper drowsy. I haven't needed it this pregnancy, but I took it a few times last time, and it knocked me on my ass. Like, even though I took it in the evening, I was still practically nodding out the whole next day.
    kids with flags
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds have you told your doctor about this? It's not normal for your emotions to be this intense.  Maybe your meds need to be adjusted? I suffer from depression/anxiety/PTSD, too. My doctor is watching my depression very closely.  Also, I think you mentioned earlier that you don't take your meds regularly sometimes? You really want to make sure you do take them as prescribed, especially while pregnant because those hormones can hit you all of a sudden. 

• @expandcontract I know the unisom does make you sleepy. I actually haven’t taken it yet, my OB said B6 3x/day, 1 unisom at night with the last B6. I’ve only taken B6 twice. I also have very mild nausea from pregnancy so I’m no expert, was just trying to offer an alternate method since Diclegis wasn’t covered!

• I hope you’re feeling better today @eatinwatermelonseeds. 💗

I had my first sex dream since getting pg, last night. 😆 and it was def one of the guys I posted in the celeb crush thread yesterday (Henry Cavill), so thanks to whoever started that. 🤣
  • @expandcontract I have bipolar II, but I've been completely unmedicated for over a year and a half. I was managing, my mood swings were pretty much every other month I would land in a pretty awful depressive state and then i'd pull myself out of it. Pregnancy hormones make it so so much worse. I've discussed options for mood stabilizers during pregnancy with my doctor and I'm honestly kind of questioning her judgment after reading quite a few peer reviewed articles about the ones she suggested I could take. One she said she'd give first, it's a category B and I feel better about that, but I'm just really not comfortable taking anything right now. Last night I got pretty motivated to get myself out of this and try to manage it naturally. I've looked up acupuncture and will be doing extra research to check on safety during pregnancy, I'm going to be starting a workout/healthy diet routine both approved by my doctor. The problem here is I don't know if I'm just motivated or going through a hypomanic phase 😂 but whatever it is is getting me proactive. Another thing I'm seriously considering is having my doctor prescribe mood stabilizers immediately following delivery and going straight to formula. It could make the transition much easier than it was last time. But I'll see how I'm feeling. 
  • @anonellis thank you so much for sharing you’re headache experience!  So good to hear someone’s gone through something similar. I was on the verge of taking an imitrex the last time I posted, will definitely be the first thing I ask my OB about as I don’t think that will be my last one. Fingers crossed the headaches disappear after the first trimester, no migraines for months sounds amazing. 
  • I am 8 weeks and 3 days and my back is absolutely killing me. It is more my mid/upper back than lower. I also have no energy at all.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited October 2018
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I highly recommend working with an OB or psych that specializes in pregnancy. Pregnancy worsens mental health conditions and studies have actually shown that NOT treating your mental health condition is actually worse for the fetus than taking many different medications. I was just like you- I weaned off my Zoloft 1 year before TTC. I was Adament that I didn’t need it, could deal on my own, and that the studies showed all kinds of issues that I didn’t want to risk. Well, my 3rd pregnancy (with DD) after 2 MC- I lost my shit for lack of a better term and ended up in the ER 4 times because I wasn’t sleeping and was delusional. I was diagnosed with severe anxiety and depression  and OCD, was convinced I was dying some awful disease. It was awful and I had never experienced anything like that. 

Luckily we had a Dr who specializes in maternal psych in my system. She got me on Zoloft and medications to help me sleep. After DD I went back to myslelf, but that pregnancy was awful. DD was fine. No issues from all the meds I took. This time, I’m staying on Zoloft and working closely with my psych during pregnancy. After DD was born completely normal with no complications, I learned to trust my Drs. They really understand the risk/benefits way better than us - so trusting them is so important. 
  • edited October 2018
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I completely absolutely agree with everything @chloe97 said,  above.  I have a fever right now and am too tired to expand on her post but will just add that I take Zoloft, too. Im not sure what drugs are recommended for bipolar but you should def find a psychistrist you trust and get on the proper meds. Being off the drugs is more dangerous than being on them.  

• @expandcontract @chloe97 this doctor is the first I've had that said these medications would be safe. My old psychiatrist and I spoke many times about safety during pregnancy and he told me countless times that the medications I took for mood stabilization were not safe. Right before I got this doctor my old ob saw that I had been taking one of the meds and called me in a panic to make sure I wasn't still taking it. Research showed it caused fetal death in rats. Which is why I was saying I am questioning her judgement. I can't take Zoloft as it can cause increased mania in bipolar patients and through genetic testing it's been determined to not be effective for me anyway. My options are extremely limited. I will continue to research the category B drug she recommended but I probably won't feel comfortable taking it until second trimester at least. 

Thank you ladies, I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative, I really do appreciate your help.
  • @expandcontract @chloe97 this doctor is the first I've had that said these medications would be safe. My old psychiatrist and I spoke many times about safety during pregnancy and he told me countless times that the medications I took for mood stabilization were not safe. Right before I got this doctor my old ob saw that I had been taking one of the meds and called me in a panic to make sure I wasn't still taking it. Research showed it caused fetal death in rats. Which is why I was saying I am questioning her judgement. I can't take Zoloft as it can cause increased mania in bipolar patients and through genetic testing it's been determined to not be effective for me anyway. My options are extremely limited. I will continue to research the category B drug she recommended but I probably won't feel comfortable taking it until second trimester at least. 

Thank you ladies, I hope I'm not coming off as argumentative, I really do appreciate your help.
    I say get some edibles while pregnant. But idk how well that has helped your bipolar in the past.  And i suggest those so you aren't inhaling smoke but get the benefit.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• @eatinwatermelonseeds yeah I know bipolar is a different ball game than what I was dealing with, so I get it. My Dr was really happy when she heard that I had been on Zoloft bc that is one of the only well studied psych drugs in pregnancy. Can you get in to see a psychiatrist that specializes in pregnancy at all? They will know this stuff way better than an Ob would. For what it’s worth- I took 3 Class C drugs with DD- Zoloft, Ambien, and Trazidone and at one ER - I took a class D benzo to calm me down, but that was only once. I was absolutely sure DD would come out with 2 heads and have all kinds of health issues, but no- she’s fine. She’s 15 months and meeting or exceeding all of her milestones at this point. You know yourself better than any of us and it doesn’t sound like you are anywhere close to my level of issues, but I just want to encourage you to keep an open mind if things get worse!
  • @psychobutthead my husband and I have seriously considered it. But I have a hard time with it because my mom did it and I ended up doing research on marijuana in pregnancy as well, and it said that it could cause long term effects in a child, and honestly looking back on my childhood and now adult mental health, I can't rule that out as a possible cause. That was another issue I saw with the mood stabilizers I read about- delayed speech, learning disabilities, emotional abnormalities. My son has challenges without me having taken anything so the anxiety about those things for me is unreal. Maybe I'll research the long term effects of untreated bipolar as well. 
  • @psychobutthead and it does help me in moderation. If I smoke too often I tend to just feel lazy and blah, but I found a strain that gives me energy while preventing me from getting anxious. I only smoked maybe a couple times a month when I started feeling edgy and it helped a lot. But I worry about doing it while pregnant .
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds i totally understand. I just thought of it as an alternative sinces its legal where you are. Maybe ask you doctor about it?  

My mil smoked it with all 3 of her kids.  But the woman also smoked cigarettes and lived off of cocola and coffee. 

• @psychobutthead I've always kind of resented my mom for doing it. But I mean, I guess I get it. And realistically, she suffers depression and my whole family is just fucked up so I was just kind of cursed from the get go lol. I'm just paranoid about doing or taking anything. Like.... It's bad. I took a lot of Tylenol with my son for headaches, I ate an egg sandwich like every day and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every night for a midnight snack. He's allergic to Tylenol, eggs and peanuts. Which I know is a small thing and probably not related but I'm super paranoid now.
  • edited October 2018
    @eatinwatermelonseeds i totally get it.  Back when i was pregnant with my daughter doctors told me to avoid caffeine because it could cause add or adhd.  I avoided it 100% and my kids has a severe case of adhd that effects her everyday ability to function.  But turns out she got it from her real dad. 
    Sometimes things are genetic sometimes its what we do. I don't blame you for being cautious.

• @psychobutthead I feel like your story is kind of a reminder that we really don't have any control over anything lol. This is slightly related to the control thing, but unrelated to the topic at hand. My husband and I spent our entire pregnancy arguing about circumcision. I would bawl some days I was so distraught about it. My son was born with hypospadias and the doctors couldn't circumcise because they needed the foreskin for repairing it. It was just so much stress to have zero input in the end. This pregnancy except for meds I'm just kind of "whatever" about so many things that seemed SO important last time. 

Today was a much better day. I started writing it out but figured it was a good post for weekend randoms. 
  • So not a complaint because I know there’s lots of ladies still suffering from some nasty nausea, but has anyone else had their symptoms start to disappear around 8/9 weeks? My pgal brain has me starting to emotionally spiral since I went from all day horrible nausea to moments feeling icky here and there. It sounds like it could be normal, but I’m freaking out a little :( 
  • @thebobloblaw - my symptoms are starting to subside quite a bit, too. I stopped taking my prescribed anti-nausea but still doing unisom and B6 at night. I’m right in that 8/9 week border, too. I’m sure it’s terrifying and unsettling for you, but it is something that happens as we start to adapt to all of the raging hormones in our body. Hopefully you find a way to enjoy the break a little bit. 
  • I'm just past 11 weeks... nausea has pretty much disappeared but exhaustion has intensified over the last few days. It's 11:30am and I am still in bed! My legs mysteriously feel fatigued as well, and muscles are super weak -- anyone else have this?

You ladies with little ones are superstars! I dont know how I would handle taking care of a toddler through this exhaustion!
  • @thebobloblaw placenta takes over around 9/10 wks, and as that happens hormones even out and most mamas feel less nausea, fatigue, etc. So it could be totally normal. But as a fellow pgal mama (who lost at 9+2), I totally understand your anxiety.  If your gut is telling you that something is wrong call your doc. 
  • So not a complaint because I know there’s lots of ladies still suffering from some nasty nausea, but has anyone else had their symptoms start to disappear around 8/9 weeks? My pgal brain has me starting to emotionally spiral since I went from all day horrible nausea to moments feeling icky here and there. It sounds like it could be normal, but I’m freaking out a little :( 
    Mine started diminishing in the last week or so (I’m 9+2) and the symptoms in general have been milder than with my other two so I’m a little wigged too and trying not to worry. My first appt is not until this Friday. I’m sorry you’re having a hard time and I wish there was anything I could say to help you feel better, but I do have solidarity. 💗
  • @madrissima I’m also just over 11 weeks and the nausea is slightly improved but the exhaustion has been crazy this last week. Like in bed right after the baby at 7:30 every night!
  • @madrissima @aels12 yes, I’m 10.5 weeks and the exhaustion came back with a vengeance! Eating and chewing is exhausting, the muscles under my tongue kill after eating. Also, going up and down stairs is really hard again because I run out of breath and my legs get tired. Not so lucky on the nausea part. I was taking B6 but I think it was making it worse for me, so I’m going to stop and see if that helps.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thank you for your responses, it does make me feel better to hear it from other people. I have a US tomorrow so I’ll get some reassurance then hopefully!
  • @thebobloblaw Mine have mostly disappeared and it worries me to. I try to not think too much about it. I'm sure at some point we all be hit with a new wave of new symptoms.

These pregnancy dreams may possibly get my husband killed. Last night I dreamed he was with me an another woman and it was our wedding day? I told him he had to choose between her or me. He hesitated so I gave him his ring back and took the kids and left.

I woke up and told him and asked him WTF would you hesitate?

• I feel like my symptoms are now just starting to ramp up. I was slightly tired and not really nauseous the last few weeks, though my appetite was basically non-existent outside my random pregnancy cravings. But I'm now in my seventh week, and things definitely feel like they're intensifying. OMG the exhaustion. Yesterday, I was so tired I got dizzy almost everytime I stood up, and today the nausea is worse than it has been thus far. I tried eating a few saltines, but even that didn't help me from feeling like I was going to puke when I got up.

Here's hoping we all get through this in one piece ladies!! Solidarity!!
  • @aels12 @mrskoz428 good to know I'm not the only one! I'm getting out of breath all the time too! Even speaking for too long or reading out loud 🤷‍♀️. We're in the home stretch now ladies, the 2nd trimester is just around the corner! 

@intheluep hang in there, it does get better! 
  • @madrissima @aels12 @mrskoz428 Also dying of exhaustion over here. I’ll be 11 weeks Wednesday and was thinking the nausea would start disappearing, but it’s still hanging around. @aels12 I put DD to bed early tonight because I just needed to lay down  :D I’ll be paying for that when she pops up at the crack of dawn tomorrow. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm feeling a lot better these days thanks to the miracle that is diclectin and modern day medicine, but I feel like I've been kind of irritable lately. I don't know if it's a pregnancy symptom, or if my personality is just turning grumpy in my 'old' age.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• I am still nauseous every day until like 3pm and then sometimes nauseous at night. I dry-heave/vomit every morning. I am still dealing with occasional constipation but it is less frequent now. I am super tired but then have insomnia and/or crazy dreams. I’m still super bloated and none of my clothes fit.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• It makes me jealous that symptoms are easing up for some since you're getting close to 2nd tri. Then there's me over here like "oh yeah, still got a month in first and the nausea just started getting bad"...*le sigh* for an end of the month EDD. Though so far the nausea is worse than my first, better than my second. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Anyone else congested? Did you know this was even a thing?

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I have been trying to boost my protein and it is actually really helping with the nausea. Of course, now I am panicked that something is wrong with the baby because I don't feel as sick. *logic *
  • +1 in the symptoms aren't as bad group here. I am 8 weeks today and besides for needing a nap both days this weekend (and sleeping HARD)- I feel pretty normal. My PGAL brain does not like it, especially since we told my brothers and extended family this weekend. I have to keep reminding myself that my pregnancy with DD was just like this. Next appt is 10/31 and I am not sure I am going to last that long without requesting a quick scan. 
  • @madrissima I am with you on feeling winded so easily. My 2 y/o is obsessed with Dr. Seuss books - I have to skip several pages because I am so out of breath reading those! LOL does that count as cardio?! I hope so...

@missy052819 that is fascinating...my nose has felt stuffed up but I definitely don't have a cold. I attributed it to the sudden change in temperatures (hot/humid > 50s and dry) this weekend but maybe hormones can be blamed too?! Why do hormones do such weird and crazy things?!
    BabyFruit Ticker