April 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Strollers, Double Strollers, & Jogging Strollers

Because kids get heavy.

Give us the pros and cons of what you have, or ask about what you want. Does it fit in your car? Have trouble with the sidewalks on your street? Handle puddles and slush and snow? Does it have enough space for your diaper bag? What accessories would you recommend? Is it too big to walk into stores? Too big a turn radius? Too small to be comfortably driven by your 6’7” self/DH? Too heavy to get to your third floor walkup? Does it fold down to a reasonable size? Do you care about weight limits? Is there other relevant info?

Double strollers: side by side or front and back? Is there anything less than $800? 

Jogging Strollers: do the tires stay inflated? How does it handle on and off road?

FTMs: when you look at strollers, what’s confusing? Ask away!

Want to discuss something else? Recommend it here, or second some recs by loving someone’s post (I’ll try to prioritize): https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12734953/product-spotlights-upcoming-or-requests

All product spotlights can be resurrected at any time for further discussion - type “Product Spotlight” into the search bar at the bottom of the page to find previous threads.

Re: Product Spotlight: Strollers, Double Strollers, & Jogging Strollers

• Lucies List has some great suggestions for strollers!

We have a Citi Mini Gt and I LOVED it. It handles great, its light and folds up pretty easy. It also has a great sun shade and recline. We bought adapters for our car seat and then we bought a tray once she was old enough. It was honestly one of my favorite pre-baby purchases. 

The only downsides were the under basket wasn't very big and it doesn't come all the way to a 90 degree sitting position so they are always slightly inclined (very slight) 

For baby #2 We are going to get the JOOVY Caboose Too Ultralight. Since DD will be 2.5 and likes to get in and out this has a sit and stand for her that can also add a 2nd seat when she needs to be in it longer. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Piccola1988Piccola1988 member
    edited October 2018
    We switched the stroller on our registry twice because we learned lots of things in between, so I'll share - in the end we ended up with the Baby Jogger City Select.  We originally registered for a Britax (maybe the B Agile?), but apparently their wheels are made for "indoor" walking, whatever the hell that means - I had a relative that got one and had to replace the tires 3x within a year because they were taking outdoor walks and the tires couldn't handle it.  After that we were planning on the Baby Jogger City Mini GT like @kosmo86 has, but we learned that the City Select easily converted to a double stroller, so we exchanged it just before our son was born because the plan was always to have more kids relatively close in age, which ended up being smart because our boys will only be 16 months apart, yikes.  *Keep in mind, it may be Baby Jogger brand, but neither of these are actually jogging strollers.

Anyway, onto the pros and cons of the City Select.  It's a sturdy, safe stroller that handles well and has good storage capacity (I easily fit a diaper bag and my purse, and usually a few other things).  It's comfortable for both my 6'3" husband and 5'0" self to push.  It folds and unfolds easily and gets pretty flat.  With super easy to install adapters it holds almost any infant carrier, and the regular seat can be set up forward or rear facing.  No problems in inclement weather, etc.  I got basically all of the attachments but honestly rarely use any of them.  Obviously for us, a huge pro is that you can get an adapter to convert it to a front/back double stroller, plus you can get a glider board attachment to make it a pseudo triple (third kid to stands on it).  Really the only negative is the size - it is a little big and a little heavy.  It fits fine through doorways, in stores, etc. and we don't have an issue getting it into the trunk of our very small SUV, but if you live in a walkup apartment you're not going to want this one.  Also, if you plan to travel with your baby a lot, particularly on planes, I'd recommend getting a smaller lightweight stroller for that.

I'd definitely recommend the City Select if you are or are planning/hoping to have kids close together - it works really great for us.  It's not super cheap, but prices are pretty doable, especially if you consider that it's essentially a double stroller.  *Note, I don't believe it fits 2 infant carriers so this would not work well for twins until they are able to sit in the standard stroller seats.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We didn’t end up buying a stroller till DD was almost a year. I just carried the infant carrier or she was in the sling. We ended up getting a super awesome deal on an open box Chicco Liteway. It doesn’t take a car seat but by then it didn’t need to. It’s very lightweight, very easy to steer and move around. Has a really good recline for being a smaller/lighter/umbrella like type stroller. It has nicer padding then the super cheap umbrella strollers so I think it’s much more comfortable to nap in.  Never had a problem with the basket size either but it can be difficult to get to when fully reclined. I can’t really speak out if it’s good for different heights since my DH and are both fairly short. It folds up pretty small and I never had an issue carrying it upstairs when we lived in a second floor apartment. It’s also in really great shape after all these years and we used it quite a bit since DD is a runner and containment is key. 

I had originally want something like the Brittax b-right or the city select. But I think the weight and price deterred me.  Probably wil get something like the Joovy sit and stand this time. 

I recommend if you find a stroller you are thinking about to find someplace to see it in person. I used to sell strollers and car seats and people would come in wanting all the cool features till they tried to carry it folded and it was 30 lbs. Or it took up 90% of the trunk space. Can you fit it and groceries and a diaper bag? What about if you like road trips? 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited October 2018
    With our first we invested in a BOB jogging stroller. That thing was a beast. Wonderful for long walks but a pain in the @$$ for quick trips. When my second was born I had some complications and couldn't lift more than a few pounds. I got the very simple stroller that worked with my infant carrier and that was perfect. Once he outgrew the infant seat we invested in another lightweight stroller Recaro Easylife. I LOVE this stroller. It is so lightweight and collapses easily and compactly with just one hand. It even fits in the overhead compartment on an airplane and I love taking it when traveling. 

Bottom line: jogging strollers are nice, but consider your most likely use before buying. If you are more likely to use it for quick trips I suggest something smaller/lightweight.

ETA: If you have a Buy Buy Baby in your area I highly recommend checking out the strollers in store. Try folding them/carrying them folded, etc. It really helps find something that will work best for you.
  • TWIN EDITION!!!

For my twins when they were still in their buckets I had the Snap-N-Go which is just a frame and you pop the bucket seats in.  Nice and quick and easy for runs into the store.  The basket in the bottom is nice and big so a lot of time hitting the grocery store I just had to take that and could fit all the food underneath.

We then got a BOB Revolution Duallie given to us for super cheap.  It surprisingly fits through most door frames!!  I still have it and just used it for a super long walk with my 3 year olds the other day.  Strong, sturdy, smooth ride, comfy for babies and for me to steer.  Had to buy a snack tray attachment for the kids and an attachment for the handles for me with a cup holder and pocket.  The wheels easily pop off and the stroller folds down for easy storage.  It is heavy though.  Not easy to take in and out of a car.

We also had a Maclaren Twin Triumph.  A Cadillac of double umbrella strollers (around $500).  Super easy to fold up and put away, super light, easy, perfect.  Sadly it was stolen and sold when someone stole my car last year.  If we still had it the plan was to sell the BOB and keep the Maclaren for those random times you need a stroller because it was so light and compact.

Now that they are big and mostly walk everywhere, we got a foldable wagon that I use for trips to the zoo or the lake.  The girls can get in and out of it themselves and it's super handy for all their crap!
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • +1 Go to a Buy Buy Baby or Target to actually try out the strollers before you buy. I wish Babies R Us was still around, we probably spent 2 hours in there deciding on a car seat and stroller.

We have a Chicco Bravo stroller because it's lightweight, 1 step collapse that I can do 1 handed with a baby on my hip, compact (it fit in my sedan with groceries), it had a roomy storage basket - I'm able to fit the diaper bag and shopping bags with no problem, and it worked with both an infant seat and has a removable kid seat that reclines. I liked the wheels on it - I've pushed it in the mall,on sidewalks, on gravel, and grass with no issues. We recently stopped using it because DD wants to walk around and doesn't like riding anymore (she's 3). We may look at the Bravo for 2 since it comes in a sit and stand version but we really don't use the stroller much anymore because DD likes to walk. 
  • Are there any strollers you guys can suggest that would be easy to get onto/off a sidewalk? I’m planning to move, but where I live currently, the sidewalks aren’t exactly stroller friendly. I’ve taken my niece for walks and the design of the stroller my sister has makes things especially difficult.
  • This has been ridiculously informative and I already have answers on a couple of strollers I’ve been looking into! 
  • One child here and I feel like we’re gone through some strollers or we may be hoarders. 

1. Graco Jogger - we ended up selling this one. It was easy to maneuver but it was a pain to fold and I had to take the tray off to get it to fit in my trunk. 

2. Bob jogging stroller - LOVE this one. It’s my go to for day trips, walks, runs and just about everything. My 30 lb child fits in it comfortably and it manuevers great. The wheels have stay inflated thus far and we’ve had it for over a year. 

3. Graco car seat caddy- this was my go to when DS was little. So easy to snap the car seat in and out and use for Target trips, farmers markets, airports, or other activities. The basket on the bottom is pretty big and it’s super easy to fold up. 

4. Baby Jogger City Tour- this one folds up so small that you can use actually carry it on the plane and put in a overhead bin. I bought this instead of an umbrella thinking we would use it for future flights. It’s easy to fold but now the best to maneuver. I feel like it was great when my LO was smaller but I feel like he’s getting too big for it now (30 lbs).

I’m now looking into the Joovy Scooter x2. My DS likes to ride but I don’t know for how much longer he’ll want to continue to ride. I don’t want to invest in another stroller that we may not use for another year. 
  • I realized writing this that I have way too many stroller type things for someone who primarily wears my kids when they’re small. But I do love strollers for walking on my country roads and long shopping days.I may have a stroller problem lol. I’m my defense I only purchased one, the rest were gifts.

Favorite Stroller:
    My Baby Jogger Elite(too bad we sold it when we had our second,biggest regret). It’s not 100% jogging stroller but was great on gravel roads, easy to fold up, smoothest turning stroller, and a huge canapy. Ask for those who travel, it was easy to take to the airport, we just checked it at the gate. LOVED this stroller

Small stroller:
     Chicco lightway Plus. This is a great umbrella stroller because your infant car seat clicks right in. Doesn’t have a large canapy but easy to fold up and carry

Double stroller:
    First we had a Joovey Sit and Stand ultralight. I didn’t like that my toddler couldnt sit with the car seat adapter in. I didn’t like the insanely small canapy, and there wasn’t a rear canapy. It was also hard to fold and maneuver 
    We got a used Phil and Teds stroller. It’s a tandem not a side by side. I liked it for the most part but it wasn’t and nice to push as my Baby Jogger and was harder to fold up (you have to take the second seat out to fold it up) It didn’t have a great canapy but I got a full sun shade that covered the whole stroller, which is great in the summer. Also the basket is almost useless when the second seat is being used, and my two year is basically too big for the second seat now. Recently it broke so I’m hoping to get another baby jogger 

Others
    I have a off brand Burley bike trailer/Stoller which is nice for our gravel roads
    We also have a nice wagon with a canapy and seats. But I always forget to use it

fyi sun shades are important to me because my kids need extra  sun protection 
  • I want to add whatever stroller you do end up getting make sure you have enough trunk space for it!  Also that it’s not a heavy beast because you will regularly lift it in and out of the car.  I hated the stroller that came with the travel system we got.  Loved the baby carrier just not the stroller.

I ended up buying a snap and go because it was so much lighter.  When they out grew the baby carrier that fit in the snap and go we bought a Chicco Liteway Stroller.  The one we have reclines, has plenty of under carriage storage and folds up easily.  It’s light so great for travel!  It also fits in my trunk unlike the other stroller which required me to drop the 3rd row in my car anytime I took it.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• I’m going to get this set. It does what I want and I love our maxi-cosi convertible car seat I have for
    my 2.75 yr old she can still rear face for 2 more inches! Anyway, we had a cheap infant carrier given to us with our first and it got moldy in the shed. I also hated it and so did my daughter it seems. This is all cushy. :) and we are selling the umbrella strollers we have because I don’t like not being able to push with one hand. 

We we also have a BOB revolution for long days out and hiking (we live at a camp in the forest (camp and conference grounds) and hiking is a big part of daily life. We love BOB. 

• edited October 2018
    With my first three I was a total stroller junkie. Those strollers are long gone, as my youngest is now 8, so we will be starting afresh.

This time we plan to get:

The Doona—at $500 it’s pricey, but it’s an infant seat stroller combo. We are planning on moving from the suburbs down to the city and with all the transitions from car to walking and jumping in Uber’s, city moms say this is a lifesaver. Plus, it’s a 4th baby, so he’s always going to be on the go to field  hockey, basketball games, restaurants, etc, so this makes sense.

The Bumbleride Speed- I’m a marathon runner and my husband runs too, so having a good jogger is important to us, you will use it for a good 4 years. With my first three I had the BOB single and Urban Mountain Buggy double, but while both were great, I’m going with the Bumbleride this time.

A Maclaren- not sure which one yet, but these are better than any other umbrella stroller. So much so that we had both 2 singles and a Maclaren double with my first three.

Based on my prior experience from eons ago— Worst stroller ever award goes to the one that came with my infant travel system, which was a Graco. It was bulky and hard to push. Not worth the money award goes to The Bugaboo. It was just not that great and I found out I much preferred the jogger and double jogger for maneuverability. A good stroller is worth the $$, but just because it’s the “it” thing and pricey it’s not necessarily great. 
  • I tend to be of the "babies don't need much" camp on top of being super frugal - when we registered, my feeling was "A stroller's a stroller's a stroller!"  I had researched different brands but didn't see the point of spending a butt ton of money for something we could get cheap.  I wound up going with one of the Graco travel system strollers.

This is a choice I bitterly regret!

I hate this damn stroller.  It's just a little too bulky.  It's just a little too obnoxious to fold and unfold (seemingly one-hand and easy, but it gets stuck).  The basket is just a little too small.  The ride is just a little too bumpy.  But all those little things eat away at my brain.  The car seat is fine.  The click to connect feature is good.  My daughter seems comfortable in it.  But I just hate it.  We lived in the city when we first got it, and its poor ride on walks was the worst.  If we had stayed in the city much longer, I would've bought a new one already.

I've been researching other strollers options, but since we need to upgrade to a double, I might just suck it up and go with the Graco Duo.  Do I think I'll still hate it?  Of course.  But I don't know that I could justify buying a whole new stroller system that can accommodate two kids so close in age, especially when we use it so infrequently these days.

One thing I would recommend to you apartment dwellers: https://www.amazon.com/Dreambaby-StrollAway-Over-Stroller-Hanger/dp/B0753DYQT3/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1539338854&sr=8-3&keywords=stroller+door+hanger  We were in a one-bedroom apartment when N was first born, and this was a LIFESAVER space-wise.  Can hold up to 50 pounds, so it really gets the job done!
  • @ysotte - the city mini GT has bigger real tire wheels that make less than ideal surfaces much easier

Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @kosmo86 Thank you so much! I looked it up and it actually seems pretty perfect 😊
  • I can't decide if we need to get a double stroller or not. By the time LO arrives, DD will be 3 and I'm not sure if she will willingly get in a stroller (but I will probably need her to). 

Anyone else have an older child around that age and adding #2? Are you getting a double stroller or hoping they stay with you? (after typing this I feel like we need a double. damn).
  • @mrstmoose, I think, as with most baby things, it depends on your lifestyle.  We live in a fairly rural area, and I almost never used a stroller for DS.  I did buy a used Graco stroller for this LO, figuring it might come in handy when I take DS (who will be 5 then) to soccer or the playground, but the majority of the time I'll probably wear the baby.

Are there any good stroller/seat or stroller/standing options?  I don't know much about double strollers, but I know I've seen some that have a seat or a board for older siblings to stand on instead of riding buckled in.  I also have a friend who rides her bike a lot of places and has a trailer attached for her two kiddos (4yo and 1yo).  That obviously doesn't work with a brand new infant, but when they're a little older it might.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We already bought a stroller for our expected twins, a Bugaboo donkey duo twin. We researched which options we had for twins if we wanted a "side by side" stroller and this was the best option that would still fit through elevators and doors in our apartment. So far I love how versatile it is that you can just change all parts separately and modify it too your own liking with colors etc. Buying a brand new one was not an option for us... Way too expensive! Up around 2000$ for a twin setup. So when I found a used one for 670$ in my hometown, we just decided to buy it. We also got some extra sun roofs (we have both pink and royal blue now) and rain covers from the old owners, so really pleased with the deal. 

@MRDCle what are you getting for your twins?? 
  • @mamma_swede I’m leaning towards the City Mini GT Double with a gliding board for DS. I’m stalking local BST sites looking for one second hand!
  • @Piccola1988 I completely agree I rented the baby jogger city select mini for our families Disneyland vacation this summer and loved it, I have also borrowed the city select lux and used the tandem stroller and stand bord as a friend of mine has this one and we often take our kids out together (her 2 and my 1 and this works great for those situations!! I find that this brand is a bit pricey but VERY well made, relatively light weight and comfortable to use! Definitely worth the investment if you will have more than one kid.

However if you’re just having one child or you can’t afford it you can totally survive with a more affordable travel system like a Graco  travel system mine was purchased 3 yrs ago and I’m still making due with it and for around $100 on sale I’ve definitely gotten my money’s worth, it’s not as streamlined or attractive, the ride isn’t as smooth and it doesn’t turn as easily as the others I’ve mentioned, but it’s safe and sturdy and has held up very well. The current Graco Fastaction Fold Click Connect Travel System - Affinia is at Walmart now for $125 is very similar to mine. I wouldn’t want to travel with this one tho (airport, subway, busses) as it’s too bulky and heavy. My city has terrible public transit so everyone has a car and drives so my stroller lives in the trunk, and comes out for shopping and walking the neighborhood, going to the park etc. 

I probably will just use my old beat up Graco... there’s nothing technically wrong with it and my older son will be old enough to walk, tho if it becomes a problem I may get a double stroller of some kind probably second hand...

For all strollers I like Velcro diaper bag clips and extra clips for shopping bags etc!!! Very handy! 
  • I have spent way too much time looking at stroller options (well, in my opinion, it's probably too much time). I think I was sold on getting one of the baby joggers and getting a car seat adapter, but then my friend said she actually used a frame stroller and then bought a cheap umbrella stroller. She saved her bucks for a nice jogging stroller which she uses most of the time. I'm so torn! I'm not sure which route to go, and I know it's all preference/what will we mainly be doing - but it's hard to say. We live in a somewhat rural area now but are planning to move to a very urban area in the next 1-2 years. I guess I may just have to go with something and if my needs change, I can always buy something else! I know eventually I'd like a jogging stroller, though. Has anyone bought a used one and had luck with that?
  • I have spent way too much time looking at stroller options (well, in my opinion, it's probably too much time). I think I was sold on getting one of the baby joggers and getting a car seat adapter, but then my friend said she actually used a frame stroller and then bought a cheap umbrella stroller. She saved her bucks for a nice jogging stroller which she uses most of the time. I'm so torn! I'm not sure which route to go, and I know it's all preference/what will we mainly be doing - but it's hard to say. We live in a somewhat rural area now but are planning to move to a very urban area in the next 1-2 years. I guess I may just have to go with something and if my needs change, I can always buy something else! I know eventually I'd like a jogging stroller, though. Has anyone bought a used one and had luck with that?
    My bob was purchased used for $100 and has been fantastic. I love it. 
  • @kbirchtree Thanks, that's good to know! I think I'm leaning towards getting a "regular" stroller first and then worrying about a jogging stroller (used) a bit later. There are quite a few listed in our Salt Lake City classifieds - especially some of the wealthier folks in Park City so you know they've got to have some BOBs! :) 
  • We are an Uppa Baby family. 
    We found quickly a random travel system didn’t fit with our location or lifestyle. (It was a Combi cambria)
    We bought the Vista first on a super good Black Friday deal on Amazon. DS was already out of the bassinet but the seat was perfect and the lower basket is amazing for grocery shopping in the city. The large wheels are easy to move around the city too. 

We later purchased the G-Lite for our umbrella stroller and travel. We love it for summer too.  

For our our new addition we’ll add the piggy pack board for the Vista for the 4 year old.j
  • @mermaidca thank you so much for your twin edition! Was there a particular store that you found had a lot of double strollers to check out in person? Went to my BBB and they only had one. 
  • @kmoglia I'm in Canada so I'm no help as I bought mine from Canadian chains!
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker