June 2019 Moms

FTM Check In October

Do you ladies want this to be a weekly or monthly thread? In our sticky announcement it says monthly, So I thought I would get it going for you excited FTMs. 

W+D and EDD:

Appointments:

Rants/raves: 

Questions for STM:

GTKY: What is your favorite children's book? 

Re: FTM Check In October

• I love this! Thanks @meatballs37.

W+D and EDD: 5+2, June 7

Appointments: had blood work last week, first US October 17, first OB appt Nov 6

Rants/raves: I am struggling so hard in public with our friends, who are all noticing immediately that I am not drinking. I've tried to play it off with a few different methods, but it's going to be really hard to keep from having to outright lie in order to not tell everyone before we wanted to (after getting the week 10 cell-free DNA done). Rave: I finally started putting together the drawing set for the renovations we are doing to the house and I'm getting super excited about the project. Hopefully we can find a great contractor to work with. 

Questions for STM: any advice on how to keep first-time grandparents from going totally overboard on sending you cheap plastic stuff? We really don't want a lot of chemicals being introduced into the house, but also we don't want to hurt feelings by telling people to only buy stuff off a registry (and my mom will totally ignore that anyway)

GTKY: What is your favorite children's book? 
    So many good ones! I love Mrs. Frizzle and all the magic School bus books, and Eloise is also one that features prominently in my memories. 

• harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited October 2018
    I'll play along! Monthly seems most logical, but we may get too excited and before long its 109767397 pages and we're doing weekly check ins anyway? :shrugs:

W+D and EDD: 4 + 0, June 16th

Appointments: None yet, calling the base tomorrow to get a referral. 

Rants/raves: I fell asleep on the couch during the Eagles game this afternoon.....at like 5 PM  :D The fatigue is going to be an issue. We told my best friend and my two brothers today. I wasn't going to tell anyone, but then I thought it would be nice to have IRL support for family events where, ahem, drinking will be an issue or something happens. My family has been watching me like hawks.... They were really excited for us - it gave me serious warm fuzzies. 

Questions for STM: I'm sure I'll have a LOT, but for now I'm blanking. 

GTKY: What is your favorite children's book?  Anything by Shel Silverstein!
  • Loading the player...
  • harrierwifeharrierwife member
    edited October 2018

Questions for STM: any advice on how to keep first-time grandparents from going totally overboard on sending you cheap plastic stuff? We really don't want a lot of chemicals being introduced into the house, but also we don't want to hurt feelings by telling people to only buy stuff off a registry (and my mom will totally ignore that anyway)
    THIS THIS THIS 

I have friends who are drowning in toys - plastic or otherwise. I'd rather the cash go towards 529s, winter coats, hockey gear, piano lessons....whatever!
  • wisehwiseh member
    edited October 2018
    W+D and EDD: 5w4d, June 7

Appointments: Follow up from suspect ectopic on 15th, dating on 22nd & OB on 25th.

Rants/raves: Rant - Same as last time! Why is there such a long time to wait before you can see anything on an ultrasound :(  Rave - I had to tell my boss and close friends as I was admitted to hospital with abdominal pain & a suspected ectopic pregnancy so have already missed a fair bit of work. 

Questions for STM: When did you see the yolk & foetal pole? Was my 4w6d too early or should I be worried? When did you start buying everything? We’ve already picked out cot (that converts into toddler bed), chest of draws, change table, pram and 0-12m baby seat - just haven’t jumped the gun and bought it yet!

GTKY: What is your favorite children's book? The  Bum Book (literally a book about bums!)
  • @wiseh We didn't see the fetal pole with DD until after 6 weeks. And the yolk sack sometimes can't be seen until week 7. I hope that calms your FTM jitters a bit.

@harrierwife and @spacepiraterunner I swore up and down I wouldn't be the type of mom who had plastic toys all over. And now a few years later, I have plastic toys all over. I stay home with DD Mon-Fri and its nice to have options when the weather outside isn't great. Just food for thought. But I would just register, and if people deviate from that, most places will take back items without a receipt for store credit. 
  • @meatballs37 thanks! I'm just a nervous wreck because the healthcare in my town isn't great and I'm the first of any of my friends to get pregnant. I've recently moved from a large city to a small country town that only has 3 OBs, so the wait time for anything is huge! I'm going to collect my ultrasound pictures today or tomorrow (I didn't get to look at them as the scan was done when I was in ED) and wait anxiously until the 15th
  • Yay! I think monthly sounds good as there are enough other discussion threads going on too!

W+D and EDD: 4w6d, June 10

Appointments: 1st appointment 10/29

Rants/raves: I haven't felt pregnant this weekend. My husband suggested I take another test if maybe that would help. I just don't have major symptons yet and I am kind of thankful for that, but a reminder every once in awhile would be nice. My husband and I made freezer breakfast sandwiches for this week, which I am excited about!

Questions for STM: How big of a deal is it if my husband and I don't have the best idea of our family history at our first appointment? We don't plan on telling my parents before that appointment so I can't ask them, but I know all of the big things in our history. My husband has very little info about his family but the little he does know is probably all he will ever know.

GTKY: What is your favorite children's book? The Big Orange Splot
    I am most excited about buying books and will probably go overboard!
  • edited October 2018
    @jmvander according to my ob the husband's medical history doesn't really matter that much. We had a preconception apt because my MIL died at 55 and had a lot of medical problems the Dr was not worried at all. They did ask about if anyone that we knew of was born with a birth defect but that was really it for medical history for DH. 

As for people buying you stuff off registry I returned a lot of stuff that people bought but I also was just very upfront and honest with those I was closest to. I don't have a house big enough for a ton of crap. I also think that not telling people the baby's sex cuts down on a lot because they want to buy gender specific toys .