February 2019 Moms

First Time Mom Check-in

1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby?

2) How are you feeling?

3) Any appointments this week?

4) Rants, raves or questions?

5) GTKY: What's your favorite fall treat? 

Re: First Time Mom Check-in

• Loading the player...
  • @becks_726 mind reporting back on your thoughts? I’m still torn on the doula idea! Do you want a natural birth?
  • 1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby? 19+4 mango? How was baby an artichoke at 18weeks and a mango now, I feel like a lot of artichokes are huge!

2) How are you feeling? Pretty good! Wish I could feel baby kicking, but I heard his heartbeat on the doppler today and heard him moving all over the place so he's fine, it would just be nice to feel something. 

3) Any appointments this week? Had a regular OB appointment today, everything seems fine, and my doctor and I are on the same page about birth stuff - I want as natural a birth as is possible, and she is all about it, so that's great. 

4) Rants, raves or questions? nope

5) GTKY: What's your favorite fall treat? I, too, love pies. Apple, pumpkin, bring em! 

@becks_726 @megpants209 I am totally going with a doula. I have read that having an advocate there helps you stay on track with your birth plan and minimizes interventions, which is a priority for me. Also I have been told by other women who have had them that having a doula is super helpful for your husband/birth partner as well since they are better able to take breaks and cope with some of the stuff that goes down during labor and delivery. If I could give birth in a birth center I would, but I live in a tiny town and it just makes sense to do it at the hospital (a less than 5 min drive from my house) - plus as I said above my doctor and I are on the same page about interventions, so I feel really comfortable, which is the most important thing! 
  • @eggsandwich2019 I've heard/read a lot of "next time I'm getting a doula" and zero "I regretted getting a doula". I'm just hoping the cost isn't prohibitive. Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. Have you found yours? Do you have options? 
  • @becks_726 I have found mine, she is someone I know socially (small town!) and I know other people have hired her and been happy about it. She does not charge that much ($500) and I'm pretty sold on the usefulness of a doula so I'm happy to shell out. If you are worried about cost, doulas in training often charge very little because they are happy to get the experience. Also I know many doulas have a sliding pay scale. It's probably worth interviewing more than one if you don't have anyone who has been recommended to you personally. 
  • megpants209megpants209 member
    edited October 2018
    @becks_726 and @eggsandwich2019 I think I will interview just to get a full picture. They all start over $1000 here so that stinks but it is really important to me to be heard and have an advocate.
  • @eggsandwich2019 and @megpants209, so far I've found one, if there are others they are not well known. I have no idea how much she charges but COL is generally low around here so hopefully it isn't outrageous. And well fingers crossed we hit it off. I got a really good vibe from her on the phone so that's a start. 
    I hear you on the more than just no epidural. I'm not sure H has time to get up to speed on all the potential interventions and their interactions with each other so if she's nice and affordable, I'm all in. 

• 1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby?
    20+2 banana baby!

2) How are you feeling?
    Feeling better now that my morning sickness is gone. Back and leg pains are rough, though. 

Just had anatomy scan this morning! Baby girl checks out! Although, she was all balled up and head down, so we didn't get to see too many cute features 😩

4) Rants, raves or questions? Nothing is worse than when someone enthusiastically says, "are you sure you're pregnant?! You don't look pregnant at all!" When I'm halfway through. Really takes the joy out of it, but I'm sure I'll be showing soon.

Basic beach over here! Everything pumpkin. And butternut squash! Acorn squash, too!
    21 weeks. Endive....? 

2) How are you feeling?
    Mostly ok, thankfully. Getting more frequent belly pains as the little miss has grown quite a lot over the past couple weeks. Feeling her kick every day now, which is wonderful and weird. Starting to feel back pain if I stand for too long, which isn't typically an issue. Lol.

Nope. Next one is OB on October 17. 

Where do I even start. We are living with my MIL for about 2 months while our dog recovers from knee surgery (long story short, dog can't use stairs for a while, we have a ton of them, MIL has none). MIL is 99% lovely but I feel like my entire life is in limbo or on hold and I'm feeling a bit anxious for no particular reason...I just want to be home. 😕 Also I watched some birth videos today. Do not recommend. 😶 

Half-sweet dirty chai lattes from Starbucks!! To me they taste like fall. So good! 
  • @megpants209 - I met my doula and she seems great! She's perfectly affordable (450$) and suggested our insurance might cover some of it. She just seemed so nice and passionate about what she does. She also made me realize that it'll be super nice to have someone who knows the hospital. She had only good things to say about it and that made me feel less anxious. If there were other readily available options I might interview one or two others but given the circumstances I'm perfectly content to go with her. 
    I'm not sure how standard doula packages are but ours is 2-3 prenatal visits, accompanies during labour basically as soon as I want her there, and a couple postpartum visits, plus happy to answer calls. I feel like that's entirely fair for what she charges. 
  • Good luck with your AS today, @JamieH2000!! Hopefully you’ll get to see baby moving, even if you don’t feel much yet!
  • Seems like so many ultrasounds for FTMs this week! Yay!! Can’t wait for our AS (next week). 

@Sornusa I have started watching all the birth videos I can find. My SO hates it lol. Some of them freak me RIGHT out and then some others are more reassuring. Two weeks ago I watched one where the woman tore upwards though, and I had to take a break for a while after that lol 

@becks_726 that seems really reasonable for the amount of visits she is offering and the fact that you clicked. A doula interests me, but we just have the one in town and I believe she starts at over $1k... which is too much for me to seriously consider.  
  • @mommin135 right?! I was pleasantly surprised. I really had no clue what to expect locally but I knew it could easily be 800$ or so. DH thought it was a bit expensive at first. :expressionless:
     21 w, 3 days. Week of the endive, today baby's foot is as big as a paper clip

2) How are you feeling?
    Good! I feel like I'm more productive in the evenings and the weather has changed so I'm looking forward to starting my nursery DIY products outside (sanding and painting) 

We had the AS on Monday, still team green! But couldn't get images of baby's brain so we go back next Friday. 

is it too weird to partially plan my own baby shower? I don't have any sisters, my only sister in law is pregnant and due literally the same day as me, my two best girlfriends live in Maryland and Alaska, and my mom works probably twice as many hours as me...

My mom makes amazing pumpkin whoopie pies (little handheld cakes with icing in between) 
  • @ksdelong20 if I were in your situation I might ask someone like your mom to 'co-host' as a formality so it doesn't seem like you're running the show, but then take on the brunt if not all of the planning work? Idk just my two cents lol. My mom and best friends are all out of town as well but I threw my friend's shower earlier this year and she has been kind enough to offer to return the favour so I'm spared heh.

• jessier19 said:

1) How many weeks are you? How big is baby?
    22. Almost 23 🎉
    A coconut 

2) How are you feeling?
    Feeling good. Just want more interactions with preggos i can relate too. I get lonely SO works 6 days a week 😳
    Not till the 21st 😊

Not any questions really just wanna meet a preggo that meets another preggo for support. Itd be great to not feel so alone💖💃

Its my favorite time of year so i love EVERYTHING about fall/ halloween 🎃
  • Am 22 weeks, I feel lazy to get out of bed in the mornings. I feel backache when I sit for over 30 minutes but not so worried of that. Am only worried of parenting after giving birth as I am a single parent. I hope it all goes well for all mums here.
  • ) How many weeks are you? How big is baby?
     23 w, 2 days. Size of a grapefruit? 

2) How are you feeling?
    Am feeling a big nervous and stressed. My work is slowly moving my projects to other people, it's so strange to lose control over something I've been so in control of for years. I also have not felt the baby yet - and it seems like EVERYONE else has - it's stressing me out so i try not to think about it, but everyone asks me!  I am still working out in the morning and that makes me feel my best each day, but heading to bed earlier and earlier each night, last night was tucked into bed at 8:30 LOL

Pelvic floor physio this week and I had an ultrasound earlier in the week but they still cannot get some photos they need so i have another one next tuesday and then a standard monthly check up with my doctor. 

Am I the ONLY one not feeling baby move?? Is there such a thing as a lazy baby that you just don't feel much? Could it be because i'm a bit overweight? 

apple crisp - hands down.  
  • @bhou I think I may have felt baby a few times, but it is really unclear to me so I feel like we're in the same boat. Certainly not feeling kicks like everyone else! Do you have an anterior placenta? 
  • @eggsandwich2019 yes I do so maybe that has something to do with it. Glad I'm not alone. My doctor told me he didnt think I'd feel anything for a while during my last appointment at 19 weeks...