March 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Single Strollers

What products are you looking at? STM's what products do you recommend, or features to think about when shopping?
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: Product Spotlight: Single Strollers

• Options
    Our in-laws generously got us the Graco Relay Click-connect Performace Jogging Stroller and we loved it!

Upsides: When the baby is little you can take the whole car seat and attach it to the stroller like a buggy, so it’s pretty seamless between car and stroller. When the baby is older they can ride like a normal stroller. The tires were great for our bumpy sidewalks, and my daughter and I ran a lot of miles together in it. She is very independent though and has refused to ride in a stroller since she started walking, so we didn’t get to use it as long as I would have liked.

Downsides: It’s not light, and barely fits in the trunk of our fairly small sedan. 
  • Options
    We had the Bob Motion (not the jogger). I liked it when DD was little, but after about 18m it wasn't a great fit for us. I wish I had thought of our preferred sibling spacing when deciding on one and I probably would have chosen one that could be converted to a double, or sit/stand.

Upsides: It's a travel system, so there are clips that the carseat can attach to (we had the Britix B-Safe 35 Elite). When they are older or don't need the carseat, the seat reclines. The canopy coverage is pretty good, the basket underneath is a decent size. It is lighter than the jogging stroller and more compact.

Downsides: The reclining seat does not click, it's more of a pull tab system, so when it's raised (which it is most of the time now) the mesh bunches up around DD's head. Same with the canopy when it's retracted. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I always feel like it would be claustrophobic. It doesn't come with any storage besides the basket underneath, so I had to buy a separate parent console that attaches to the handle for cupholders, receipts, etc. It does not stand on its own when folded. It does not come with a pump for the air tires, although any bike pump would work.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were given a city mini stroller and I love it. You can set it up and fold it with one hand, and it’s been really durable.As a stroller, it was better after she has head control (6months or so) but you can purchase a car seat adapter for younger babies. Becaus it was a hand me down, we didn’t have to purchase it (and it is pricey, so there’s a downside).  But the ease of getting it set up and packed away has made it my favorite stroller ( we have three)
  • Options
    lelkcotlelkcot member
    edited August 2018
    We have a Baby Trends Velocity Lite jogging stroller (we also had a little one that his car seat snapped into, but only used that occasionally). I’ve used it a ton.
    Pros: It folds up and I could actually fit it in the trunk of my old Corolla. It’s reasonably lite and reasonably priced. It has built in cup holders, both for you and kiddo. A good sized basket underneath. Handles well, takes bumps pretty well. Seat reclines. Could put a car seat on there when they’re little (they actually suggest doing so until 6 months) but still fits my 3 year old comfortably. 

Cons: the reclining function on the seat is a pull-tab thing and has worn out, I have to tie it off to keep the seat upright. The canopy is a bit small. Only a few kinds of car seats are compatible and really lock into place, ours more rested on there (wasn’t going anywhere, but wasn’t as secure as it could have been). 

All in all would definitely recommend it!

ETA - the front wheel is an optional fixed/swivel, which means it can be used for more everyday stuff (the zoo, walks, etc) but you absolutely HAVE to lock the front wheel in place to jog or you’ll get weird wobbling.
  • Options
    At first we went with the britax b ready stroller and their b safe 35 car seat. I loved that I could snap the car seat into the stroller, it was super convenient. It also has the ability to convert to a double with attachments. Basically it seemed to have similar functionality as the Uppababy at about half the cost. Downsides are the stroller takes a two handed fold and is on the heavy side. 

Later on we got a citi mini and I LOVE the one handed fold. Basket is kind of small and annoying though. 
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    We have the citi mini GT. Love it. It’s a good ‘all-terrain’ stroller and folds up easily. We probably use our Maclaren lightweight stroller most often for outings and travel though, it’s awesome. 

SaveSave
  • Options
    We have the City Mini single and I love it. When DD was 11 months I traveled solo with her by plane and was able to detach the car seat, fold up the stroller and put it all through security by myself while wearing baby. It's so easy to collapse and not super heavy. It also collapses pretty small for easy carrying.

We also have a Bob jogging stroller that we bought used. We use it a lot (DH more than I do). It's not as comfortable for DD, but we aren't going for super long runs and she likes just being there with us. 
  • Options
    One vote for the BOB jogging stroller. If we did not have that, I would go for the City Mini. We've also had a Maclaren and a Snap n Go; they're ok but the BOB and City Mini are the best in my opinion. 
  • Options
    I was gifted the BOB Ironman by my in-laws, it has the fixed wheel. I had full intentions of running with DD when she was little but she never sat long enough. We still took it everywhere and it was great for walks! I have used it with DD recently to run and she is 4.5. The stroller is very lightweight and easy to fold and lift with one hand. You have to buy an adapter but you can click in an infant seat.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Options
    keikilovekeikilove member
    edited August 2018
    We got the CityMini GT after lots of research lol. It’s pricey so I wanted to be sure. LOVE it.

DD is 2 yrs 8 months, still fits great. The best features are how smooth the ride is, easy to push one-handed, collapses w one tab pull w one hand, pretty light, plus a huge canopy that completely covers her on sunny days.

I’m considering getting the twin CityMini for when this new one arrives or the add-on seat/stand board. 
  • Options
    We have a City Mini and my only real complaint is I wish we had gone for the GT. I thought we'd be fine with the plastic wheels since we live in the suburbs and aren't outdoorsy people, but even getting to some playgrounds near us involves going "off reading". I think the all-terrain wheels would have been worth the extra money.

We have a Chicco infant seat and could have gotten an adaptor to fit it on the City Mini but chose to get a Keyfit Caddy instead.  I loved it when we were constantly taking the bucket seat in and out.  The Caddy is lightweight and folds up really small and still has storage space underneath.  The price for a new one is kind of ridiculous but we easily found one on Craigslist for cheap.
  • Options
    @thedaint87 we have the same infant seat and I wish I had known about the lightweight caddy. 

We did the chicco keyfit infant seat with the bravo travel system. It was fine when DS was an infant and the stroller allows you to take the seat off so that does make it lighter. When DS got out of the infant seat around 11-13 months he was getting heavy to push on my regular walks. I was begging DH to look at joggers with me. 

We shop at a local discount store called bargain hunt and found a gracco jogger for $52. I LOVE IT! It’s so much lighter when walking/jogging it easily pushes right over grass, gravel, etc to get it up to a playground, etc. If you plan to do any kind of walking/jogging etc. I’d just go straight for a jogger. 

That being said we still used the Bravo on our Disney trip this summer and it was perfect! Very lightweight easy to get off and on the buses, it has cup holders, DS could lay back to nap, and plenty of storage underneath. It also folds up small enough to not take up a lot of room on the buses. We could have taken the jogger no problem but it does weigh quite a bit more. 
  • Options
    another city mini. i also really like it. great for travel, especially with the car seat adapter. we didn't use it a ton because DD wasn't a fan of strollers in general. But hopefully the next will use it more.
  • Options
    We have the City Mini GT I think- whatever one has the all terrain wheels. I LOVE it and I’ll be so sad when I have to upgrade to some kind of double.
  • Options
    Has anyone tried the Doona? This baby is my 4th and my other 3 are older and constantly on the go. I was thinking the Doona (although costly) might be super handy for our lifestyle which includes sporting events nearly every night. :)
  • Options
    kristimh80kristimh80 member
    edited August 2018
    @chaosandcoffeex4 I thought I really wanted a Doona. Then I spoke with a sales rep and he said it was a great concept, but only useable for a year then you'd have to buy a new carseat / stroller anyways when the baby got a little bigger. I did "test drive" one in the store and it was super easy to use. So if you have bigger car seats and strollers to use from you other kids, it would be a great option I think :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    Thank you! I think I need that year of easy use. ;)
  • Options
    mamakate1616mamakate1616 member
    edited August 2018
    Hold the phone. Is the Doona a car seat with stroller wheels/frame built in?? 
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    We didn't use our infant carrier for more than 6-8 months because my DD is a giant.
  • Options
    Lol @meggyme my DD is a giant too. We squeezed her in that thing for way too long, no wonder she hated car rides back then! 
  • Options
    @mamakate1616 - YES! Not my cup of tea, but if you lived in a big city or were in and out of cabs/subways/ubers a lot, would be worth a look. :) 

https://shopdoona.com/
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    Bumping for a question! 

I foresee lots of outdoor walks with this lo for cardio. I’m not a runner, but would a jogger be better for this than a standard full size stroller? Considering a BOB vs a Britax or chicco stroller. We have a really nice asphalt trail in town I anticipate walking a lot. Hoping to baby carry when shopping so outdoor walks are the likely biggest use for a stroller. I don’t want to get frustrated with a standard if it won’t handle terrain well, but don’t want to spend money on a jogger if it won’t be much better for walking. 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Options
    @catlady2015 I have a bob and baby jogger city mini gt (1 front wheel). We take lots of walks outside on the sidewalk and on high traffic trails, meaning it’s relatively flat. We almost always use the baby jogger and I haven’t had any issues since the wheels are rubber.

I like that the baby jogger is less bulky so you have the option of bringing it in the car easily. I personally wouldn’t get a jogging stroller unless you are planning to run or do some heavy terrain walking.
  • Options
    @catlady2015 We started with a chicco bravo travel system and we still use it/love it. But once DS got older and heavier (around 12 months) I begged DH for a jogging stroller. We finally found one for $52 at a store in our area called “Bargain Hunt” (you might want to look it up and see if you have any near you). I LOVE IT! It’s a Gracco Jogging stroller, I think it was cheaper because it’s an older version it goes right up to playgrounds like a dream and is perfect for my walks with friends/around the neighborhood. It also feels so much lighter pushing DS in it compared to the Chicco. It is compatible with Gracco’s click system so I’m pretty sure an infant seat would fit in it.