January 2019 Moms
Options

Maternity photos?

Hi everyone! Are any of you planning on taking maternity photos, or have you with any previous pregnancies? I wasn't planning on doing anything fancy, but there was a good Groupon deal and I decided, why not. If you're doing them, what are you planning on doing (or have you done) for yours? What outfits, backdrops, poses worked well?

We're probably doing something relatively casual in the mountains, but I have no idea what might photograph well as far as clothing. It'll be early November so who knows what the weather will do! Should be somewhere between overcast and arctic chill/snow.

Re: Maternity photos?

• Options
    I got them with my first pregnancy and plan to again with this one. My sister has a nice Camara and she just took them for us. Last time it was the summer when I had the pictures taken and I wore a maxi dress so I'm unsure what I will wear for these pictures. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I am a photographer, so I have snapped my own each pregnancy. Really I just want one or two nice pictures, so not a big deal to set up the tripod and do it myself. Doesn’t really work for including multiple older siblings, though, so I may adjust my approach this time around.

If you are paying a professional photographer, they should know how to pose you nicely and what works well for background, so try to trust them and relax :) 

In terms of clothing, I usually suggest being comfortable but dolling yourself up a little so you feel pretty and confident. Going more fitted helps to showcase the bump, but you can always add a softer or more flowy layer on top, like a long cardigan/wrap or one of those pretty floral layers. Don’t go crazy on colors and patterns- simple is more timeless and makes you shine, plus easier to incorporate those photos into your home if you want to frame any. Have fun!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I hired a friend of mine to do ours. She lives 1.5 hours away so it will be a long trek but she is an amazing photographer so I'm super excited. She owns a dairy farm and has a lot of beautiful land and buildings as a backdrop. We're doing it the end of October (29 weeks) in the late afternoon so we can get the beginning of a nice fall sunset.

The weather at that time is unpredictable here, so I'm struggling a bit with what I'm going to wear. It could be hats and gloves cold or beautiful sweater weather - no idea! I'm planning on wearing some cute jeans, brown ankle booties, and a burgundy long-sleeved top. I'll probably wear a long cardigan or kimono as well. We're doing a half maternity/half family session so hubby and kids will all be in some sort of variation of jeans, burgundy, navy, and cream colours. 

For poses, your photographer should be familiar with what works best. I prefer more candid photography so I'm not big on actual poses but will have some posed shots of just me and the belly (and try to make them look as least posed as possible). If you'd like some ideas to show your photographer, I'd suggest doing a Google search and grabbing some examples to show him/her of what you're looking for (but ultimately, it would be good if you chose your photographer based on already loving their style of photography).  
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    A coworker is establishing her photography business portfolio so I’ll likely do a small shoot with her. I’m thinking more of a family shoot with a few highlighting the bump though rather than a full maternity session. It just feels weird not having our two older kids included. 

That said... the winter maternity pictures in snowy forests on Pinterest are drool worthy! If we get snow before baby girl gets here then I might drag my mom and her camera out into the woods for some pics lol.  
    married 7.11.09
    Me: 31 DH: 36
    DD (14) and DS (11) adopted from US Foster care December 2016
    BFP April 24, 2018 | EDD December 29, 2018
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @Jackiemxoxo that dress is gorgeous and those photos will look amazing with your daughters! A forest would be so ethereal, you'd all look like forest fairies  <3
  • Options
    We never did maternity photos with my first, so probably won't with my second. I'm not a huge fan of pictures of me at all ever, so I always get weird in them. The last pictures I had taken that I actually liked were my wedding pictures. My son thinks I looked like a princess and I'd like to keep it that way LOL :)
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Options
    Were doing maternity/Family pics that I will also use for our Christmas card (and announcement? Since a lot of family doesn’t know I’m pregnant). It will be middle/end of November in the Midwest and I am just a little bit hoping for snow or deep fall vibes. I love those outdoor pics that are kind of muted landscapes, super casual, etc.  Will have to decide what to dress all of us in but other than that I’m looking forward to to, huge belly and all
  • Options
    With DD, I did not intend to do maternity photos and instead we were going to pay for professional newborn photos. I ended up meeting a lady through work who was a photographer and was trying to expand her maternity portfolio and asked if she could take pictures for us for free. They aren't my *favorite* pictures ever but they were well done (her editing style just isn't my taste and I prefer our regular photographer). 

This time, we are having family pictures done at the end of the month that we will use to holiday cards and will use those as my maternity pictures also. I will be around 30 weeks.

My best advice is to feel confident in what you're wearing but also comfortable. I tend to prefer more classic colors and clothing because patterns end up being distracting IMO and don't show your figure as much. I wore a chambray top with leggings the first time and will were some sort of casual-ish dress this time.

Also, whatever you do...don't wait until you are over 38 weeks pregnant to do them. Lol. I did that with DD (because I had literally just met the lady) and I was miserable and had gotten past the cute bump stage. I feel like 32-36 weeks is ideal
    DH: 29 | Me: 29 
    Dating: 10/3/08 | Married: 12/27/14
    TTC #1: August 2015 | BFP: 2/3/16 | EDD: 10/7/16
    DD: 10/5/16
    TTC #2: September 2017 | BFP: 4/28/18 | EDD: 1/7/19
    DS: 1/9/19
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I didn’t think I was going to do maternity photos, but changed my mind and put down a deposit today! We’re going to do it 12/1, I’ll be 31 weeks. I don’t know if I want to do semi casual or glam, but I’m leaning toward kinda glam. I’m not feeling super confident lately, so I think dressing up and maybe even getting makeup done will be a much needed boost. 

I really like lots of natural light and pretty landscapes, but we’re kinda at the mercy of Oregon weather. Luckily I run super warm now and don’t have to worry about layering :joy:

Any good websites for maternity shoot dresses? I don’t want to spend a lot since I won’t have the need for a fancy maternity dress again, but obviously don’t want it to look cheap for photos. 
  • Options
    We’re getting ours done first wknd of Nov when I’ll be right around 28 weeks. W DD, I got it done at 34 weeks in scorching hot and humid DC weather. I told our photographer not this time. I want to feel good and still get some Fall foliage in before Winter comes! 

Wearing a super comfy dress that’s nursing friendly as well. We’ll def be using some for Christmas cards this year! 
  • Options
    my wedding photographer is doing mini-sessions an upcoming Saturday conveniently at the park next to our house, so I guess I'll have some done. Maybe include the doggies for one last Christmas card photo! They didn't make the cut last year (we got married, so had wedding photo). :D

Andrea -- FTM at 39!