Baby Names

Girl named Dean _____? Ideas

So I’m thinking if two first names. Like Dean Marie Francis Spencer.  
Any ideas what to go with Dean? Or Darcy? 

Me (30)- PCOS....
DH (34) 
Eloped Dec2013/Married Sep 2014 

TTC since early 2014

ART worked EED 6/13/19

Re: Girl named Dean _____? Ideas

• Sorry, but a girl named Dean? Are you looking for pronunciation like Dee-Anne, or rhyming with Bean?
  • Dina
    Deana
    Danette
    Deanna
    Deann
    Dean on a girl just sound off to me. 

• Loading the player...
  • Dean is listed as a girl's or a boy's name on Nameberry. I think it can be a cute girl's name and gender is increasingly flux with each generation anyway. If you love Dean, don't let traditionalists get you down.

Dean Riley
    Dean Hailey
    Dean Margaret
    Dean Taylor
  • Nameberry is awful for "unisex" names. Half the time they say it's great and bold for a girl but to stay away if it's a boy. That's not unisex or empowerment, that's just more of the patriarchy. 

Anyway OP. I don't like Dean as a girls name. Firstly, it's still a popular boy's name, so Dean Spencer will be mistaken for a boy, forever. Dean is still rising in popularity for boys, so there's a good chance she'll be in a class with a male Dean, and chances are, neither of them will appreciate it being referred to as Girl Dean or Boy Dean. And finally, there are multiple female forms of Dean. So to an outsider, it's like, did you want a son instead of a daughter? 
  • bbiutmcphbbiutmcph member
    edited October 2018
    I’m all about girls kicking ass but using a dude name on a daughter isn’t the way to do it. Dean is awful on a girl. Nothing cute about it 

Darcy is cool, I could even get behind Darbee or Deanna or Dena

• I’m not sure I understand the question- do you want Dean and another name together as the first name, like Ann Marie?

If so...

Dean Claire
    Dean Louise
    Dean Marie
    Dean Elise
    Dean Ruby
    Dean Ada
    Dean Ava
    Dean Rose

• I don’t know the gender yet, but my family has a history of “unisex” names my siblings include Blake and Dakota, one is a boy one is a girl, my name is also firmly unisex. In fact Dakota is living with someone if the other sex also name Dakota. 

Me (30)- PCOS....
    DH (34) 

TTC since early 2014

ART worked EED 6/13/19

• Nameberry is awful for "unisex" names. Half the time they say it's great and bold for a girl but to stay away if it's a boy. That's not unisex or empowerment, that's just more of the patriarchy. 

Anyway OP. I don't like Dean as a girls name. Firstly, it's still a popular boy's name, so Dean Spencer will be mistaken for a boy, forever. Dean is still rising in popularity for boys, so there's a good chance she'll be in a class with a male Dean, and chances are, neither of them will appreciate it being referred to as Girl Dean or Boy Dean. And finally, there are multiple female forms of Dean. So to an outsider, it's like, did you want a son instead of a daughter? 
    I replied above about unisex naming in my family. Also both my sister and I have been in class with someone of the opposite sex with the same name and were girl x and boy x. 

Me (30)- PCOS....
    DH (34) 

TTC since early 2014

ART worked EED 6/13/19

• NEAM2014 said:
    I don’t know the gender yet, but my family has a history of “unisex” names my siblings include Blake and Dakota, one is a boy one is a girl, my name is also firmly unisex. In fact Dakota is living with someone if the other sex also name Dakota. 

Stuck in the box- ugh. I can understand why you would want to keep up the family trend, I just think Dean is very solidly masculine and not appealing on a girl. Besides that Dean Francis and Spencer are all boy names, so the whole name reads very masculine with the curious addition of Marie. If you’re set on the “unisex” name idea, maybe try one that is a little more common in that category. What about Charlie, Frankie, Ryan, Jordan, Taylor, Francis, Kelly, etc?
  • kmvisiolikmvisioli member
    edited October 2018
    Other “unisex” ideas that read a little less obviously male: Riley, Emerson, Shannon, Adrian, Ashton, Blair, Casey, Cameron, Bailey, Dana, Drew, Hayden, Kyle, Noa, Ellis, Lane.

I also do like Darcy from your OP. Maybe Darcy Lynn, Darcy Claire, Darcy Jean, Darcy Jane, Darcy Rae.
  • Sorry but Dean is far from unisex and Nameberry is not a reliable naming source. Behindthename is much better: https://www.behindthename.com/name/dean

I think Darcy is far more suitable for a girl. Darcy Marie is nice.

• Sorry, but "unisex" names are not unisex.  They are derived mainly from masculine names that people thought would be 'cute' on their daughter.

Some of them have gone 'to the girls' and is very rare to see a Male with that name i.e. Ashley and Lindsey here in the U.S.

Sorry, but Dean is NOT cute for a girl and will always be mistaken as a boy unless other information is given, hence IF you were to use this name a very feminine middle name is necessary - dont use spencer.....Dean Spencer is pure boy. Dean Marie makes it a bit 'better.'

Sorry, but the name is terrible for a girl. 
  • Ok forget I brought up Nameberry. Giving girls traditional boys names is a trend on the rise and I don't see a problem with it. OP didn't ask for opinions on Dean but rather middle names to go with it. Make suggestions for Darcy only if a female Dean offends your senses but unasked for judgement and criticism isn't helpful.
  • Seems strange to suggest she choose one of the traditionally male names that has already “gone to the girls” like Lindsay, Riley, Dana etc.  because at one point in time people probably would have criticized those choices saying they are decidedly male.  Who knows maybe Dean will become more popular for girls.  I couldn’t believe the first time I heard a mother planning to name her girl Logan but suddenly it’s happening a lot.  Not my style at all but I wouldn’t want to say anything too harsh to a mother who has made up her mind on a traditionally male name.
  • mb0112 said:
    Seems strange to suggest she choose one of the traditionally male names that has already “gone to the girls” like Lindsay, Riley, Dana etc.  because at one point in time people probably would have criticized those choices saying they are decidedly male.  Who knows maybe Dean will become more popular for girls.  I couldn’t believe the first time I heard a mother planning to name her girl Logan but suddenly it’s happening a lot.  Not my style at all but I wouldn’t want to say anything too harsh to a mother who has made up her mind on a traditionally male name.
    Never suggested. Made a statement that a traditional male name has 'gone to the girls' because of the over use of them going to the girls.  Why dont we start calling our sons Lilly,  Alison, Tessa, Gertrude, Adele.......that would be cute, wouldn't it?  Sorry but it's not cute putting a definate boys name on a girl. 

Each to their own.  
  • mb0112 said:
    Seems strange to suggest she choose one of the traditionally male names that has already “gone to the girls” like Lindsay, Riley, Dana etc.  because at one point in time people probably would have criticized those choices saying they are decidedly male.  Who knows maybe Dean will become more popular for girls.  I couldn’t believe the first time I heard a mother planning to name her girl Logan but suddenly it’s happening a lot.  Not my style at all but I wouldn’t want to say anything too harsh to a mother who has made up her mind on a traditionally male name.
    Never suggested. Made a statement that a traditional male name has 'gone to the girls' because of the over use of them going to the girls.  Why dont we start calling our sons Lilly,  Alison, Tessa, Gertrude, Adele.......that would be cute, wouldn't it?  Sorry but it's not cute putting a definate boys name on a girl. 

Each to their own.  
    No, some other PPs made those types of suggestions- I agree you did not. I think some were meant to be helpful but it just seems odd to me to say Dean is too masculine, but try these other boy names instead. 
  • I knew an older lady with the name Ida Dean. To me that sounds better, and is more versatile. 
  • Hey, do what you want, but own it. I'll stop complaining about girls named Dean when people start naming their sons Rose.
    It has always been more acceptable for women to be more masculine than for men to be more feminine so I don't see this as a fair comparison. If it weren't for women adopting masculine practices I would not be wearing pants right now. Nor would I be going to my office job where I earn a salary equal to my husband's.

(Switching to a more generic 'you' as the following is not targeted exclusively to bringmeyourlongswordho) It's fine if a name is not your style. I'm sure there are people who have crinkled their noses at your name choices too. For your sake, I hope they were polite enough to bite their tongues and let you be.
  • You’re right, I did suggest some alternatives that are also technically masculine or “unisex”. The whole trend is not my style, but I suppose my thought was if it is OP’s style maybe there are some options that would be a little easier for a girl (and eventually a woman) to carry.

And to the biting your tongue point, I think that if someone is asking for feedback on a public forum and the baby is not here yet, there is allowance for honest feedback.
  • mayoduck said:
    Hey, do what you want, but own it. I'll stop complaining about girls named Dean when people start naming their sons Rose.
    It has always been more acceptable for women to be more masculine than for men to be more feminine so I don't see this as a fair comparison. If it weren't for women adopting masculine practices I would not be wearing pants right now. Nor would I be going to my office job where I earn a salary equal to my husband's.

(Switching to a more generic 'you' as the following is not targeted exclusively to bringmeyourlongswordho) It's fine if a name is not your style. I'm sure there are people who have crinkled their noses at your name choices too. For your sake, I hope they were polite enough to bite their tongues and let you be.
    And I'm saying that masculine leanings being acceptable for women, but feminine leanings not being acceptable for men is fucked up. Yeah, I love pants, but I'd also like my hypothetical son to be able to wear a skirt, and have no one care. I don't want my hypothetical daughter to go through a "cool girl" phase where she eschews feminine coded things she likes to be cool and "one of the guys" because that's the only way they'll respect her. I don't want my kids to read books where the heroine is given an androgynous name because parents won't buy books with protagonists name Rosemary for their sons. 

And all of that is well documented. So if you want to be like I got mine feminism, cool, you do you girl. I'll work on my shit.
  • I LOVE Dean, but it's absolutely terrible for a girl. I have a truly unisex name (Dean is masculine, it's not unisex) and was in class with multiple boys with my name, was teased constantly being called a boy, and it was just awful. I get "to each their own" but PLEASE don't do that to your daughter. It sounds like you didn't have such a terrible experience, but consider the alternatives. My childhood was torture because my name was considered predominantly for boys (at least in my school, now I've met several girls with my name but that was not the case back then). 
  • Oh for cripes sake
  • Sorry to be negative, but I don't like the name Dean for a girl. I might be biased because right now Dean is our top pick for our baby boy (due in January). Trying to find boy names has been an awful process; it feels like there is a much larger selection of girl names than boy names. So the fact that nice boy names keep being turned into girl names is just...frustrating. 

And regardless of that, Dean just doesn't really have much of a feminine sound to it. Not that all girl names have to sound real feminine, but I think it would just be confusing for a lot of people. 

There are a lot of other unisex names that might not sound too girly that you could look into, or as others have said there are girl names similar to Dean. I think Deanna is really pretty, and if she turned out to be a tomboy, you could always use Dean as a nickname or something.