February 2019 Moms
Options

Vision

Hey Ladies,
 I have a eye appointment today for contacts and glasses. I’m out of contacts and my old scrip it expired. I know I have heard your vision changes during pregnancy. I’m not sure if my vision has changed due to pregnancy or actually changed.

Is anyone having noticeable vision changes?

Should I invest in new glasses? ( I’m due for a new pair)
Should I only buy a few months of contacts? 

Re: Vision

• Options
    I bought new glasses only because my optometrist pointed out when the baby is young, I'm probably not going to want to be playing with contacts in between feeds and trying to grab naps here and there.  Most likely will be wearing glasses a lot more often at that time compared to now which I am almost full time contact wearer.
    I also got new contacts though because I need those for the next few work months.. and will probably want some when I am on mat leave too.  If you have a decent eye dr, they should be able to recommend, without just trying to make a buck.  My 2 cents.
  • Options
    I have an appointment coming up next month and I'm planning to do exactly what @cass06_07 said. I still have okay glasses but they've never been all that comfortable so I'll replace those and then get some daily contact lenses for special occasions/ physical activity. I trust that my optometrist will take into account my pregnancy. I've had other short term changes in my vision in the past and they were not a reason to change my prescription.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    disneybaby84disneybaby84 member
    edited October 2018
    they won’t diliate your eyes if you are pregnant. learned that last time.
  • Options
    kayjay44kayjay44 member
    edited October 2018
    I’ve give gotten new glasses or contacts each pregnancy. My vision has never changed. 

ETA: I almost always wear contacts. I wear glasses when I'm sick, tired, or in the evenings/weekends though, so they are a must have for me. I can't drive without something correcting my vision.

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Options
    *lurker from March*

Mine definitely changed. It was not so substantial that I needed new contacts or glasses though. I just noticed things were slightly fuzzier in the distance. I did not need an appointment during the pregnancy, but my eyes did not seem to change back, and a year later, they weren't back either. 

Whether you should invest in glasses, I think, depends on how much you wear them. I literally never wear glasses. I put my contacts in in the morning and take them out at night. So I wouldn't update my glasses prescription unless I used them a lot and it was super off, but that's me. 
  • Options
    My vision changed with each pregnancy and after my second, my eyes couldn’t tolerate contacts anymore. 

As as far as investing, go the route of Zenni or something similar. We (DH & I) use Zenni and zero complaints. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My vision changed with my last pregnancy but went back to normal after birth. My vision has changed even more significantly with this pregnancy. But I didnt need correction before, so I wont get my eyes checked until PP. 
  • Options
    I didn’t wear glasses until after I gave birth to my second. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    My vision sucked to begin with but now it is worse. I wouldn't commit to a contact prescription until after baby. I wear my old glasses when needed but I get such bad headaches from them. My vision insurance only covers 1 exam a year for contacts so I am waiting. Don't want to shell out extra money for an exam if I don't have too!