April 2019 Moms
Options

Week 3 (Due 4/15-4/21) Check In w/o 10/1

Due date: 

Any appointments? Questions?:

Rants/Raves?: 

How are you feeling?: 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now?

Me: 31
H: 36
L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Week 3 (Due 4/15-4/21) Check In w/o 10/1

• Options

Due date:  4/19

Any appointments? Questions?:  none this week

Rants/Raves?:  someday my kid will sleep.  But he's getting 4 teeth and I'm not sure about his molars since he wont let me look. 

How are you feeling?:  overall ok.  Tiredness is less; still need a nap most afternoons.

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now?  a teacher.   My degree is in political science and I contemplated going back for Secondary education but life happened.  I think being a SAHM is like being a teacher.

ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options

Due date: 4/15, will probably go in March

Any appointments? Questions?: Has anyone done a 24hr urine catch before? I have to do one this week and I'm super not stoked. I assume I will have to work from home?

Rants/Raves?: Rave: My nausea is almost gone!! Rant: My exhaustion is no where near gone!

How are you feeling?: Really, really tired.  And I got about 15k steps on Saturday for the first time in probably 6 weeks and I was wrecked. My body hurt. 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be a travel agent or an adoption attorney. I work in marketing sooo....no. Ha. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Due date: 4/16

Any appointments? Questions?: No appointments this week.

Rants/Raves: My DS is so excited about "getting a new baby." He talks about it daily. This morning I dug up old videos of my stomach showing his kicks when I was very pregnant with him. We then flipped through the photos of me super pregnant at the end and his newborn photos. Brought it all back. I am looking forward to doing it all again although I know the true discomfort behind those photos.

How are you feeling?: Slightly better. Rather than all day nausea my body saves it all up for a massive nausea attack in the evenings. I started out a few days thinking I didn't need to take diclegis during the day any more only to have massive nausea in the evenings that kept getting worse. Back on the pills I go! In other news I *might* have felt the baby swishing around last night, but it was probably gas, lol! 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be a teacher, but that was literally my only role models growing up since EVERYONE in my family teaches. I ended up becoming an engineer and I think it is a much better fit.

• Options

Due date: 04/18

Any appointments? Questions?: A week from today!  Finally!  I just can't wait to see this little muffin and fiiiiiinally be able to tell people.  And I'm so eager to find out the sex - it'll make planning so much more real for us.

Rants/Raves?: Why do calories count when you're pregnant?  I just want to eat everything with no consequences, damn it!

How are you feeling?: Symptoms are easing up, but my hormones are running hiiiiiigh today.  I want to scream and cry and eat all the chocolate.

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I am a teacher, and at a point in elementary school, I wanted to be one!  

• Options

Due date: 4/18

Any appointments? Questions?: nuchal scan on Friday 10/5

Rants/Raves?: nope, but excited that we bought her crib and dresser yesterday

How are you feeling?: a bit better! My nausea seems to be tapering off, I have only retched once in four days and that was because I took my vitamin on an empty stomach- cautiously optimistic I’m rounding the corner for first tri 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be president lol

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options

Due date: 4/15

Any appointments? Questions?: Wednesday and Thursday this week. 

Rants/Raves?: rant: not a single doula has messaged me back. Rave: I taught DH how to give me a Brazilian because it’s way too painful for me to pull the lip strips now. He was down for it and didn’t do too bad! 

How are you feeling?: even more nauseous. Guess this isn’t going away with the first trimester 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I have no idea what I wanted to be. In highschool I wanted to do special effects makeup. Now I’m an esthetician so I can technically do that but I’d rather do Brazilian waxes all day. There is something satisfying about ripping out hair. 

• Options
    @MRDCle I did a 24 hr urine 2 weeks ago. I would recommend working from home, because you have to keep it on ice or in the fridge. Plus, you have to catch it all and dump it in a bottle. I personally would prefer to do that from home, but it’s possible you could do it at work... Ugh, good luck they are a PIA! Also, don’t go anywhere long enough where you will have to pee... If you miss even one time, the sample will be no good! 👎🏻
  • Options

Due date:  April 20

A week from today.

Rants/Raves?: 

My hormones are crazy, these dreams are really something, and I’m just ready to feel semi normal again! 

How are you feeling?: 

Less nauseous during the day and worse at night time. Still a little fatigue. 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now?

I think I wanted to be a vet when I was little. Instead, I work with humans, but somewhat similar. Lol 

• Options

Due date: 4/15

Any appointments? Questions?: My first OB appointment in tomorrow morning and I'm sooo anxious.

Rants/Raves?:  

How are you feeling?: I can finally mostly eat food again! Still exhausted, though.

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? Oh, I wanted to be writer so badly. I wrote constantly- journals, poetry, stories... I am not a professional writer, sadly. Maybe someday if I can let go of some of my serious anxiety.

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    @harveyisaboysname that’s pretty impressive that your husband was that good at it. I wouldn’t trust my husband down there with that much control over my pain. Knowing him, he’s do something stupid that I’d never recover from lol.

Due date: 4/18

Any appointments? Questions?:    12 week appointment tomorrow so I’ll be doing all the lab work and such.

Rants/Raves?:    I’m just stressing about selling my car so we can get a suburban. I always thought I’d have 2 children but I’m so lucky to be able to be getting this 3rd. I just need a car that will fit everybody lol

How are you feeling?:    I still feel good but I have been a bit queasier in the evenings. Having no nausea or tiredness in the first trimester is probably faking me out and things are about to get bad lol.

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now?    Wanted to be a veterinarian or an artist. I don’t even like animals anymore (sorry everybody else in the world) but I became and Interior designer because I felt that was “practical” art lol. Thanks to my high school sweetheart for setting me on that path and finding me a college.

• Options
    Due date: 
    April 21st

Not until next week. 

Rants/Raves?: 
    I went to a wedding this weekend and was still up and dancing until 11.30pm! So proud of myself and happy I didn't get nauseous. The day after I felt like a terrible hungover Sunday though even though I only drank alcohol free apple cider all night lol. 

How are you feeling?: 
    Mostly OK, but still little surges of nausea. The main discomfort right now is that we're visiting friends and family this whole week and I miss my comfortable bed at home. Sleeping on pull out couches and sofas isn't soft enough for my hips when I want to lie on my side. 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little? Are you anything close to that now?
    I wanted to be an archeologist or a nature photographer. I ended up being a biologist and researcher so I thing I came pretty close. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle I haven't but a close friend did. I suggest working from home because you will need to refrigerate your urine all day. Unless you don't mind your coworkers seeing it.  :p

@ashtuesday calories don't count when you're pregnant!

@har@harveyisaboysname your husband has impressed me!

Due date: 4/20 - will likely have a RCS on 4/16

Any appointments? Questions?: Appointment on 10/4

Rants/Raves?: Rant: I think it's dumb that 1st trimester goes until 13 weeks 3 days. I remember last pregnancy I was so excited to hit 12 weeks to realize it was all just an evil game. Rave: I found out that even though I just started my job in August, they will not be letting me go when I leave for maternity leave!

How are you feeling?: I was feeling better in the evenings but then yesterday I overdid it and could barely walk last night I was so exhausted. I ate two mozzarella sticks and was done. I feel better today after getting a lot of rest (thanks DH). I'm making sure to drink a lot of water today. I've lost about 8 pounds since I got pregnant and I know I need to start gaining a little bit. 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be a pediatrician. I started out college as a pre-med major, then changed it to nursing, then to accounting (wtf was I thinking for that semester) and now I'm a social worker. I picked it on a whim because the advisor told me I was going into my junior year and HAD to pick something. It stuck, going on almost 10 years in this field.

• Options

Due date: 4/21

Any appointments? Questions?: U/S on 10/10

Rants/Raves?: I'm sure some of you got to see my massive MIL rant on the thread for PG announcements. Things have cooled off a bit since then.

How are you feeling?: Anyone else feeling extra emotional as we approach/enter 2nd trimester? Mostly people are making me cry, trying to deal with all the relationships in my life and already planning the shower! Maybe it's just that so many more people know now.

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little? Are you anything close to that now? I desperately wanted to be a veterinarian when I was age 5 to 11. On our tiny farm I have set broken legs on chickens, bandaged to-the-bone injuries, birthed sheep, repaired prolapses, treated calves for pneumonia, and given many vaccines. So I'd say yes! But I still call my local livestock vet at least a few times a year. 

@squirttheturtle Yes, being a SAHM has to be a lot like being a teacher!

@MRDCle I'm with you, I need the energy to get here soon now that the nausea has left. I wish I could help with the urine catch, does not sound fun. Though if your work has a fridge... ;) 

@eli_belle Sorry about the nausea attacks. Your DS is so precious!

@ashtuesday I wish I wanted to eat all the things. I ate a whole fancy chocolate bar last week and it made me sick, but it was sooo worth it. 

@sheknows6 Buying the crib and dresser makes it so real! Hope your nausea quits for good soon.

@harveyisaboysname Remind me to wear long sleeves and pants around you, I am terrified of people ripping out my hair lol. I would try calling those doulas (yeah, I know easier said than done when none of us can talk on the phone!) I made DW call all the midwives and doulas, and calling definitely got a better and faster response than email.

@midwestmommy90 That's awesome, what kind of human doctor are you? That was definitely a job possibility for my child self!

@wildcosmiclove Excited for your first OB appointment! I was on track to be a professional fiction writer, and then had some kind of epiphany and dropped out of grad school. But it's really not that complicated, the worst part for me was the insane amount of talking to other people and networking that was required for success.

@middy411 I know what you mean, I love animals but I certainly don't like them the way I used to when I was a kid. Your "practical" art sounds like fun. GL at your 12 week!

@mamma_swede Party animal! So glad you got to have some fun at the wedding. Your job sounds like the most amazing thing. I have always wanted to do field biology, animal behavioral studies, etc. But I generally got bad grades in bio, so I steered away from that (hence also why I gave up my vet and doctor dreams).

Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options

Due date: 4/16

Any appointments? Questions?: NT and appointment with new OB tomorrow!

Rants/Raves?: Excited and anxious about tomorrow’s scan. Had a panic attack before last US, hoping to avoid that tomorrow

How are you feeling?: Tired, but that may be due to staying out past 9:30 (gasp!) two nights in a row

GTKYWhat did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be an astronaut for the longest time and then decided I didn’t want to live in Texas or Florida. I’m now an engineer and do ultrasound R&D

• Options
    I'm just trying to picture the horror of opening the fridge at work and seeing a big jug of pee :D plus having to carry cups of it out of the stall HO BOY. Yeah I'll be asking to WFH when I see my boss next ha. 
  • Options
    I just got the results from my NIPT. No chromosomal abnormalities detected!!! I am so relieved. But now being team green is even harder. I managed to covertly read the report WITHOUT reading the sex BUT...just knowing that I can find out right now make the wait that much harder!
  • Options
    @fuzzywombat good luck at your NT tomorrow!
    @sheepshepherdess I have been suuuuper emotional this entire pregnancy..
    @mrstmoose awesome about the job! Agree that 13 weeks is LAME for second tri.  I was like, oh I will tell the rest of my team at work when second tri starts - but that's not till next week now. 
    @mamma_swede yaaas anytime I'm up past like...10:30 I feel hungover the next day.  Terrible.
    @middy411 ugh yeah. I drive a subcompact car right now. Going from 1 to 3 kids is definitely putting us in a vehicle bind. 
    @midwestmommy90 yeah the only place I plan to go is to and from DC to drop off DS.
  • Options

Due date: 04/15/19

Any appointments? Questions?: We saw our new Midwife on Monday, and see her again in 2 weeks (I'm having a lot of anxiety so she is going really slowly and spending a lot of time with me to get me more comfortable)

Rants/Raves?: Rant: Did you know there is NO MEDICAL REASON for vaginal exams during pregnancy?!? Like they literally give them no information that is of any value or consequence, but they are billable and "the way things are done" in the OB world. I'm so happy I'm going with a midwife who won't be up in my business until I'm pushing, and then for a PAP 6 wks postpartum. Seriously though, look into it, and ask your OB if you don't mind pissing them off (probably not recommended lol).

Rave: We heard the heartbeat on Monday and it was the best thing I've ever heard, and made the baby feel so real to me. I wish I could listen to it forever...but Doppler/ultrasound isn't actually proven safe so we'll limit it to the quick peak at appointments (ok another Rant; our midwife was saying that ultrasound was introduced around the same time as the vaccines that got blamed for autism (and disproven as being at fault), and it's possible that excessive ultrasounds are actually a cause, it's known they do heat up baby a bit which is to be avoided)

How are you feeling?: Emotionally I'm doing a bit better after hearing the heartbeat :-) but my nausea has kicked back in full swing today!! I think I have a *tiny* bit more energy, and I'm really looking forward to being out of first trimester; 2 more weeks!

I also wanted to be President lol. I've mostly worked in the medical field and currently am a housewife so no :-)

• Options
    @MRDCle thanks lady. NT went well. Baby’s measurements all look good! Also looks like I’m joining you on the baby aspirin...
  • Options
    kaleesi93kaleesi93 member
    edited October 2018

Due date: April 15th

Any appointments? Questions?: no I'm back to looking for a midwife 

Rants/Raves?: my rant would definitely either be about how shitty my boss or MIL are but I ranted enough on randoms. Rave would be that I went out for Japanese and ate my entire meal with chopsticks, I didn't know how to use them lol

How are you feeling?: I'm still sick in the morning/afternoon but my remedies and tricks are helping and by evening I'm feeling normal, as of this week 

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be a Mom and a farmer. I spent the last few years managing a farm, and now I'm pregnant so yeahhhhh

Edit bc bumping from my phone is so hard 
  • Options
    mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited October 2018
    @molecularmolly the only reason an OB will do a vaginal exam is if you have not had a pap in the last year (or 3), I can't remember. So since I do my yearly checks in January, I'm good until after this baby is born. You can also choose to get a membrane sweep or checks later on and you can decline them (and not many doctors will be upset, if they are, you should find another one!). Also, does your midwife think that vaccines cause autism? 

Appt Update: I had my appointment today, found the heartbeat immediately, it was normal and beating right along at 165. 

eta: more words
  • Options
    Adding to the vaginal exam discussion- my OB performed a pelvic to check my uterus and ovaries, but specifically told me that I wouldn't need any additional checks until delivery. I also wasn't forced to have a pap since I already had one within the last year- I agree with @mrstmoose in that if you aren't comfortable with it or don't feel like you need one, then decline it. It shouldn't be an issue.

• Options
    @fuzzywombat woo team baby aspirin! Such a cool team :D Glad to hear it went well!

I'm with @mrstmoose and @sheknows6 - my OB did my yearly exam in January, and I had a pap in January 2017, so he just said, "Eh no reason to do one since we just did one," and went on with the appointment. Declining cervical checks till later isn't a big deal either - I didn't have any last pregnancy till the very end. The OB world is not one size fits all.
  • Options
    You guys are all lucky, from women I know that have gone the OB route around here they are constantly poking around if you let them.

@mrstmoose No she doesn't, but it's very curious that around that time of the increased rates (which has a lot of factors I know, including diagnostic criteria and awareness) they started routinely doing ultrasounds on pregnant women (it is/was a tool for inspecting steel that they realized could be used on a pregnant woman, and didn't do much safety testing before it became widespread). She thinks the one 20 WK ultrasound is OK and valuable but that excessive (like 5+) may pose a risk.
  • Options
    @molecularmolly My experience has been like @MRDCle @mrstmoose and @sheknows6, the OBs are actually pretty hands off. At my clinic they do take urine samples pretty routinely, but that's about it as long as our pap and pelvic exam are up to date. They are even reluctant to do ultrasounds except at specific intervals. We actually have midwives at our OB practice as well, so I am seeing one of those as often as I can (they are a huge practice so sometimes you have to see other doctors).

I wish there was more research about ultrasound tech, but I will say this. For those of us who have been through infertility treatment, we've had to learn to trust our medical team. That trust and their skills are sometimes the only reason we're pregnant to begin with. Which is part of the reason I have so much trust in my doctors now. I have had more than 5 ultrasounds already, so I'll let you know if my kid gets autism. Everything under the sun is blamed for autism these days, so it makes me suspicious when I see one more thing blamed.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • Options
    @molecularmolly My experience has been like @MRDCle @mrstmoose and @sheknows6, the OBs are actually pretty hands off. At my clinic they do take urine samples pretty routinely, but that's about it as long as our pap and pelvic exam are up to date. They are even reluctant to do ultrasounds except at specific intervals. We actually have midwives at our OB practice as well, so I am seeing one of those as often as I can (they are a huge practice so sometimes you have to see other doctors).

I wish there was more research about ultrasound tech, but I will say this. For those of us who have been through infertility treatment, we've had to learn to trust our medical team. That trust and their skills are sometimes the only reason we're pregnant to begin with. Which is part of the reason I have so much trust in my doctors now. I have had more than 5 ultrasounds already, so I'll let you know if my kid gets autism. Everything under the sun is blamed for autism these days, so it makes me suspicious when I see one more thing blamed.
    Yeah unless I see studies telling me that ultrasounds are worse for my twins than TTTS I think I'll stick to my biweekly monitoring when it comes time. And even if I do see the studies, it would still be worth getting my OB's input to weigh pros and cons.
  • Options

I would also like to add @molecularmolly that as a science minded person, it's worth remembering that correlation does not equal causation. I would be very wary of anyone implying that ultrasounds are unsafe without the corresponding peer reviewed research to back up such a claim. We rely on this technology to conceive and carry, so that's a pretty weighted statement to imply (not you, your midwife).

And lastly, OB's aren't god. They can whine and they can complain but at the end of the day, what treatment you accept and allow is your decision and yours alone. Unless they have a court order, they can't force exams or any other treatment on you.

• Options
    I mean.. just pointing out that women all over the world conceive and carry without the use of ultrasounds..... 
  • Options

@sheknows6 love me some peer reviewed research.
  • Options

@kaleesi93 Of course they do, but a lot of women all over the world also rely on them to conceive (catch and diagnose IF issues) and carry (catch and diagnose treatable illness in utero, etc).

Your point doesn't negate mine, and vice versa. It also doesn't make ultrasound unsafe.

• Options
    @sheknows6, I wasn't arguing against ultrasounds, just clarifying that "we rely" doesn't include everyone. They were introduced to save lives  <3 
    No offense intended for you at all! 
  • Options
    @kaleesi93 I'm not offended :) I was also clarifying my comment in response to yours ;)

• Options
    But the thing is (and feel free to Pub Med me wrong... I'm too nauseous this morning to do a thorough check myself :-) ), there are no studies that prove it to be *safe* either, it's just a thing we started doing. And I agree in some situations whatever *potential* risks (you guys are correct, there may not be any, but there may be, it would be unethical to put women who need it in a group *without* ultrasound randomly, so we just can't know) it may carry are worth it, but routinely in normally progressing healthy pregnancies I think it is overused.
  • Options
    @molecularmolly this is just one and I looked for all of five seconds.

To add: there are risks for everything, breathing isn’t even 100% safe. To imply that a diagnostic tool that is used safely and effectively thousands of times a day all over the world for a myriad of reasons (much like the anti vaccine movement) is dangerous without providing empirical evidence to support that claim is extremely foolish to be frank.

ultrasound, X-ray, mri, etc all have inherent risk but they wouldn’t be adopted by the world medical community without thorough vetting and research. We didn’t just start doing it one day.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12071478/ 

• Options

Due date: april 15

Any appointments? Questions?: i had my 12 week ob appt and my nuchal translucency scan on monday.  Also had a nipt blood draw so anxiously awaiting the results of that!

Rants/Raves?: im good!

How are you feeling?: just tired, my toddler is not helping that!

GTKY: What did you want to be when you were little?  Are you anything close to that now? I wanted to be an equine veterinarian.  Im a stay at home mom now but when I was working, I was an equine veterinary technician.  So pretty close! I also did small animal for a few years.  

• Options
    Idk, I'm pretty thankful for my two ultrasounds thus far because they found the source of my bleeding that has been occurring my entire pregnancy thus far. 

My OB also only did an internal exam because of said bleeding. She's a pretty great OB. I'm also thankful to have first world medical care available. And I'm an annoying hippie mama.
    BabyFetus Ticker image