April 2019 Moms

UO 10/4 Unpopular Opinions

Image result for unpopular opinion meme
It's National Taco Day. This meme does not reflect my personal views. "It's provocative. It gets the people going."
Me: 36 & DH: 40
Married: November 2015
DD 10/19/2016
BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019

Re: UO 10/4 Unpopular Opinions

• Does this puffin speak for you @lovelybabybumpz?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @MRDCle
    No! See my disclaimer :) I can never think of a true UO that I hold (basic here), so I just grabbed a meme willy nilly.
    DD 10/19/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • I was blinded by the untruth the puffin was speaking - I didn't even see your disclaimer!
  • H doesn't like Mexican.  We've been together 8 years and I only found out in the last year or so.  I was devastated.  Who did I marry?  But he put up with nacho and taco and burrito dinners and my choice of Mexican restaurants without complaint so I guess it's ok.
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • happymoni21happymoni21 member
    edited October 2018
    @mermaidca After five and half years together I just found out last month that my husband doesn't like chicken wings...I am from Buffalo, NY originally- the birthplace of the chicken wing. I was more than a little irrationally upset to learn this about him.
  • Who are these men who don’t like Mexican or chicken wings? Lol
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    edited October 2018
    Oh then there is one for me. I hate eating meat with bones included. I will sometimes eat ribs but just because the meat usually falls off the bone.  So I don't like wings, or bone-in steak, or bone-in chicken thighs. Freaks me out. 

ETA: So sorry @happymoni21
  • I agree with both of you @piccola1988 and @mrdcle.  MIL constantly talks about how I should try for a "natural" birth this time - and by that she strictly means vaginal.  She hasn't mentioned her feelings regarding meds or not but for some reason she cares how the baby leaves my body.  My last one was an emergency c-section to save Baby B, I didn't care how it happened.  I think birth plans are nice and all but I don't put too much into it because I know how fast they can change.
  • @MRDCle I agree with you 100% on “natural childbirth,” hence the quotation marks!  It’s an annoying and arbitrary term. Personally I feel however you get your baby out sounds pretty darn natural to me, you just grew it in your body FFS.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @MRDCle I agree the term “natural childbirth” is awful and leaves a lot of mothers feeling inadequate. 
    @Piccola1988 my birth plans were to not have a plan. I just prepared for different outcomes and went with the flow of how labor was progressing. 

I wish i could could remember my UO (stupid pregnancy/mom brain lol)
  • My UO: Routine cervical checks during labor are a scam and get my blood boiling (except for VBACs, where the uterus really can't take too much stress). It honestly doesn't matter if your sticking to the curve, labor can come in fits and spurts of dilation and there are lots of ways to progress besides dilation! (Softening, shortening, moving down, etc). It's just part of the hospital scam to unnecessarily augment women's labors to put them on the slippery slope towards cesarsan (or $$$$$$$). And remember OB is a SURGICAL speciality, they are first and foremost trained to cut.
  • Maybe that's more of a FFFC because I don't really want to be flamed...hmmm 
  • My UO:  I like big bows and headbands on babies.  It's so stinkin' cute and they don't like to wear them now.
  • @happymoni21
    My family is in Buffalo and DH was so excited to try both Anchor Bar and Duff wings when we visited. Omg. I want some wings now.
    DD 10/19/2016
  • Yes, @MRDCle 100% on the distrust of doctors.  Like you, of the many, many people I know that have given birth in the last few years, I know of 2 that had a c-section.  One was twins, and the other was AMA, so both were high risk and I imagine there were good reasons, although honestly the latter gave up and demanded a c-section when the doctor really wanted her to try pushing for longer.  Oh, actually, I also have a third acquaintance that had a c-section and then a VBAC.

@molecularmolly if your doctor is pushing for a c-section for no reason, honestly you have a shitty doctor.

Maybe it's because my mom is a L&D nurse and has been for my whole life, but I never felt distrustful of medical professionals.  Sure, there are some that are better than others, and I'm lucky to have somebody who knows the field to help me choose the right ones, but these days everything is online anyway so it's easy enough to research good doctors!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mermaidca how big is big?
  • I definitely agree that there are good and bad doctors, although I am of the mindset that some big hospitals (especially in the states) have too much on their plate/are in such a hurry to birth babies that they don't give mothers a decent chance sometimes.  My one friend ended up with a c-section after being in labor for only 14 hours with her first.

The doctor I had for my first was a condescending a**hole, so I'm going to a different hospital and using a doula this time with the hopes of having a calmer, more positive experience.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MRDCle not stupid big or unreasonable, but almost anything is ok with me. 
  • lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited October 2018
    I strongly, strongly dislike joint bank accounts. Luckily, so does DH. We have one and we don’t use it for anything. It’s been sitting with $25 for a year. I cannot count how many times we’ve been told that the way we handle our finances is “weird”, but we’re doing just fine and we are great at splitting bills/ etc 🤷🏻‍♀️
  • @sdelg09 DH and I don't share bank accounts. I think it works fine, but he might argue otherwise occasionally , because he sometimes runs out of money at the end of the month. But then I just give him some (haha. I make more and tend to squirrel away reserves). I pay the mortgage and most utilities. He pays daycare and cellphone. It's all our money. It just lives in different accounts. 
    DD 10/19/2016
  • @sdelg09 whatever works for your family/relationship. My aunt and uncle have had seperate bank accounts for over 30 years. Personally it doesn’t work for us since I’m a SAHM, but I totally get it if you’re both working full time 
  • @happymoni21 I have an Italian DH who doesn’t like Italian food. He’s a total weirdo. Lol. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @lovelybabybumpz Yay Buffalo!
    Now, Hubs does like chicken finger subs which are another Buffalo staple so I did decide we could stay married  ;)

@thatbaintforbetty who are these men???? Not liking Italian food is unimaginable to me!
  • I think chocolate is disgusting.

Also, team pro-birthing however you feel most comfortable bc fuck anyone who judges people for how they give birth.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • sdelg09 said:
    I strongly, strongly dislike joint bank accounts. Luckily, so does DH. We have one and we don’t use it for anything. It’s been sitting with $25 for a year. I cannot count how many times we’ve been told that the way we handle our finances is “weird”, but we’re doing just fine and we are great at splitting bills/ etc 🤷🏻‍♀️
    I was 100% there...until we had a kid. We each had our own bank account and savings account and then had a joint savings that we used to pay bills. After DD was born it got harder to juggle money into each account so we combined everything, its so much smoother now. We each have our own credit cards we pay off every month so thats 'my money' but most people hate it people the other person tracks their spending. but in our house we spend whatever we want and trust the other person needed/wanted it and thats good enough
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @molecularmolly definitely more of a FFFC but you said it. While you may disagree with cervical checks, someone who had to labor for 40 hours and then push for 4 hours AND THEN have a c-section because baby wasn't coming out, yes, they were imperative. I caught an infection because my water broke 24 hours before (on it's own, no intervention) and she didn't come on her own. So had they not been checking, then who knows what would've happened. FWIW, she was sunny side up and was never going to make it through my pelvic bone. 

My UO: People who completely distrust the medical profession has not met a medical doctor that they like. Both of my doctors are fact based and have never fed me bullshit. You are entitled to your opinion but remember that there are many ways babies enter this world (vaginal, section, VBAC, forceps, etc, etc) and there is no ONE way that's better than the other to have a baby. 
  • MRDCleMRDCle member
    edited October 2018
    my UO: pumpkin anything is super gross. 

• Americanized tacos are bomb. The authentic ones are obviously amazing, but I also love that ground beef with chopped tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream, and hard taco shells. Sometimes I don’t want to go to a legit taqueria, I’m down for the Taco Bell drive thru. 
  • I’m also not down for that childbirth bragging shit. I’ll call you a twat to your face if you try telling me you’re better because I had an epidural and you didn’t.