Adoption

September - Adoptive and Hopeful Adoptive Parents

What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?

Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)

Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process?

Any questions?

Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?

GTKY (Get to know you) What is your favorite autumn activity?

Re: September - Adoptive and Hopeful Adoptive Parents

• What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Domestic Adoption

Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) Waiting to be matched

Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process? I'm planning to reach out to our social worker this month and just see how things are going.

Outside of the adoption, I'm considering volunteering in a local NICU to gain experience with infants.

Any questions? How often do you check in with your social worker on the process?

Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? Don't give up. Waiting is the hardest part.

GTKY (Get to know you) What is your favorite autumn activity? My BF and I love haunted houses so we try and hit up a few every fall. There's not many other fall activities here in FL.
  • What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Foster care

Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) We have a foster son who has been with us since January.

Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process? Just to show you all how slow this process is - we have the first real court date this month, where the judge hears all the background of why the child was put into care so he/she can determine if there should be a case or the child should go home. Our social worker said in our state the judge almost always says there should be a case (during our training we were told that in our state they only take kids into foster care in the extreme cases because we have too many kids and not enough foster parents). Then next month we have another court date where the judge says his/her decision: whether there should be a case and, if there is, sets the return home goal (either 5 months or 12 months, but most likely 12 months).

Any questions? Not right now!

Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? If you are fostering, make sure to save all paperwork from basically anything you do. We had to take our son to the doctor for a rash and then his birth parents saw the rash and filed a complaint so we had to submit all the documentation from the doctor visit to show that we aren't neglecting the child. So always err on the side of saving everything.

GTKY (Get to know you) What is your favorite autumn activity? Apple picking!
  • Loading the player...
  • @britters314 Wow! That's quite the process.

I miss apple picking and making apple butter with my family! I going to Ohio this October and hope to snag a jar before I return home.
  • What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)? Two international, one foster child

Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.) : We actually have a home study for IA and domestic, so just waiting for a match.

Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process? Welllll, evidently we may be having our first bio in between adoptions, so we are working out the logistics of timing.

Any questions? Has anyone completed an adoption while pregnant? We’re hoping not to put things on hold, but this is a first for us (IA program should be okay with it, domestic will depend on when we are matched...)

Any tips for the steps you’ve passed? Nope, I don’t know that there is anything that makes the waiting better...

GTKY (Get to know you) What is your favorite autumn activity? Taking the kids to a local farm festival, they are almost too old to get into it now, but I’ll keep dragging them as long as I can...
  • @bashmama18 Congrats on the bio kid! Hope all goes well with the timing.
  • What route (Foster Care adoption, domestic, international)?
    Domestic Adoption

Where are you in the process right now (just thinking, home study, waiting for match, etc.)
    Waiting for a match

Anything new and exciting happening this month in your process?
    No

Any questions?
    Not at this time

Any tips for the steps you’ve passed?
    Be patient the wait is long process

GTKY (Get to know you) What is your favorite autumn activity?
    I don't really have a favorite autumn activity, but Fall is my favorite season. I love the smell and leaves changing colors.

AnnieR81 I don't really contact the social worker as she is terrible at getting back to me. I do contact the receptionist every 3 months or so. 
  • @Axl2 I understand. Most operations are small and they are overwhelmed with their workload. As long as you feel your questions are being answered, that's the most important thing. Waiting is so hard sometimes.
  • @AnnieR81, the agency we are through is small but they keep adding more couples to the waiting list. For me the excuses that she has makes me mad because we are spending a lot money. Like our last update we seen a different sw she brought up our profile and all the errors. But yes the waiting sucks!