Infertility

Please Help. Trying to do IVF and Need Some Help

needanangelneedanangel member
edited September 2018 in Infertility
So I'm 40 years old .. Been trying for 6 years to have a baby with my husband. Took test and everything at the ferti8clinic and we both look good. So what was next..

2 IUI's these past two months and still nothing. Don't know if I should try for another round. So we are considering IVF which is our last option and was suggested by our fertility Dr. Only thing is, it's so costly and we can't afford both procedure and meds.

Re: Please Help. Trying to do IVF and Need Some Help

• My husband and I did ivf, so I understand how costly it can be. Have you looked into a loan? There are also some clinics conducting research studies that allow patients to get ivf for free- as long as you meet the requirements.  
  • Also try looking around the country for cheaper IVF clinics. Check out their stats on SART as well. Some are very competitive!
    I am Embryoman - your friendly neighborhood embryologist!
    **Removed for TOU violation**
  • Loading the player...
  • @needanangel I am also 40 and went through two rounds of IVF with limited success thus far.  I also happened to work for an employer based in Massachusetts (mandatory coverage per state law for 6 cycles assuming your AMH levels etc. are in order).  It's a shame more states don't have that.  Still, even with the coverage there were a lot of out of pocket costs.  As the other poster mentioned, there are loans you can get from companies that specialize in infertility and some clinics have a cycle guarantee plan. I have also seen on Youtube some people saying they received grants. I also agree that you should definitely look into the SART statistics if you haven't.  Going out of country is another great idea; I looked into that briefly and thought Spain had some decent options if I recall.

That said and despite the insurance coverage, I was able to produce only one (possibly two) PGS normal embryos after these two rounds which were both lost due to a device malfunction. Even if I had done IUI, my RE felt it was very unlikely to be successful; so, we went straight to IVF.

Me: 40 DH: 39
    TTC: Since 2015
    Egg Retrieval #1 (Feb. 2018) Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide (6 eggs, 3 fertilized, 1 blast PGS lethal abnormal)
    Egg Retrieval #2 (April 2018) Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, HGH and testoterone gel (11 eggs, 9 fertilized, 5 blasts-1PGS Normal; 1 Indeterminate)
    Transfer #1 (June 2018) Estradiol Tablets (cancelled due to fluid in uterus)
    Transfer #2 (September 2018) Patches and PIO IM injections, Perfect Trilaminar 8mm lining; lost all viable embryos potentially due to device failure (VitriGuard)