May 2019 Moms

FFFC 9/28

Re: FFFC 9/28

• @nopegoat I don't know how you made it through 4 pregnancies not leaving the house in leggings. Serious props!

@nopegoat & @DuchessOfCambridge we're in a 2br apartment. DD slept in our room until 11 months (maybe that's a FFFC) even though her crib/room was set up 2 months before she was born. This kiddo will sleep in our room for probably the same amount of time, maybe longer depending on how we think the 2 kids would share a room OR our decision to move cross country. We're the entire continental US away from all of our family and living in the second most expensive area of the country. We technically moved here for my job (me 7 years ago, him 5) but I now mostly work from home so I've told DH we can move when he wants but he loves his boss and boss's boss. I never thought I'd be about to be 30 with a second kid on the way and still not own a house but we also didn't plan to stay here this long and we didn't want to buy a tiny 3br 1 bath $1.5M house with no yard that we'd need PMI on when there could be a tech bubble and we want to move back to the east coast anyways.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @secicc12 I was part of it for a little with DS but we conceived pretty quickly so I made a quiet exit. I didn't participate this time just in case conception happened the same way (it did) but I totally followed along mentally with the WTO/TWW threads.

• Loading the player...
  • @notsoblissylissy Exactly. I didn’t think twice about it with DS and won’t this time either. My dr said to eat like I normally would with the exception of raw sushi and oysters, so I’m going with that. Also the thought of heating up deli meat in the microwave grosses me out for some reason. 🤢
  • edited September 2018
    @chloe97 I was in the same position yesterday, I couldn't watch it bc the whole thing triggers me & brings back many painful memories. So many emotions over it all & I have ignorant relatives I've had to unfollow on FB bc all they share/comment anymore is how "you can't believe women who claim to have been raped (especially when alcohol is involved)" etc etc... Um..EXCUSE YOU, that's exactly why it's so hard for many of us to come forward. Makes me so upset.

I have 2 FFFCs.....1)I enjoy the random one-off discussion posts bc I like the gifs & replies y'all post😆 2)I still haven't figured out how to add gifs here haha idk how to search within the app from my phone🤷‍♀️ maybe if I ever figure it out I'll be able to start contributing some snarky responses too lol
  • @kvh22 the SIDS recommendation is the whole first year in your room so def not a FFFC in my eyes! I originally wanted to do a full year but we only made it 5.5 months :( We slept better in separate rooms, DS would wake up anytime we turned over or something. He basically STTN once we moved him.

• @secicc12 I stalked TTGP last time too and then participated this time as I thought I would struggle while still BFing. I also credit both of my pregnancies to the knowledge I got from that group. My cycles were all messed up from work stress when TTC DD and postpartum/BFing this time so the temping/charting, etc. was invaluable!

• @DuchessOfCambridge I definitely recognized your name from that board  :D dont mind me, just creeping along over here. 

@kvh22 We moved DD right around 3.5 months which is super early. But she was much happier when she could stretch out. She was in a sleep sack in a bare crib, so I honestly didn’t worry too much. The transition was very easy. I can’t imagine moving a 1 year old to their own room for some reason. Just seems like they’re much more aware and can (loudly) protest the change. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kvh22 we are in similar situations-except I’m on the east coast. I’m in a 2 bedroom outside of nyc. Really want to get a house before this baby comes but housing prices are so crazy here... we can only put 5% down right not and I’m not sure that will be enough. When you are paying between 3-4K a month just on rent, plus 2k for childcare—plus all the other normal expenses... it’s incredibly hard to get ahead. All my family lives here and my career is here so i feel stuck. But, I’d love a house with a yard and it’s crazy to me with all I spend in a month that how much i put down should matter when I can clearly support the mortgage lol.
    Anyway - really bummed about not being able to give this baby his or her own nursery. When my son was born we were in a 1 bedroom so I missed out on that a little there too. I just want to nest goddamit lol 
  • kvh22kvh22 member
    edited September 2018
    @secicc12 we didn't plan for it to be that long but we had 2 trips in June making half the month time she'd have to share a room with us while traveling. Every time we tried to move her she got sick or had a horrible teething spell. It was just weird timing/a series of unfortunate events. When it hadn't happened by May we figured why push it then get back in the habit of being in the same room. She took naps while home on the weekends in there and the transition eventually was very easy.

ETA: our ped told us to move her at 2 months. Said the AAP recommendations made a bunch of pediatricians groan and that everyone would sleep better with her not in our room. This is also the woman who told me no caffeine while breastfeeding, wean the paci at a year, absolutely no sleeping in a swing or any other non-safe sleep surface like a crib or PNP mattress and other super strict stuff.

• @msb615 preach. sign me up for all the sandwiches. I do stay away from cold cut turkey, but otherwise, if it's from a reputable source, I'm good. 

DH and I are going away tomorrow night for a destination wedding without DD, and I confess that I'm hardly feeling sad or guilty about it. I mean obviously once we're there, I'm sure we'll be missing her and will look at her pictures, but I'm far from freaking out. We bring her everywhere with us including short overnight trips, restaurants, parties, whatever. We rarely get a babysitter. We've been apart from her before, a few months ago for DH's birthday when we did a few nights away, and it was a truly awesome trip, again without any sadness or guilt. Growing up, my parents took at least one vacation a year with just the two of them, and I have always thought that was so important to a relationship once kids enter the mix.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @peachy13 10000%. I love my son more than life itself, but sometimes I need a break. My husband and I also take our son with us practically everywhere, but we do also make time for ourselves and with friends too. I think it’s so important. It’s easy to get burned out between the sleepless nights, the tantrums, or just making sure they don’t hurt themselves or eat something they’re not suppose to. I believe that there’s only so long you can pour from a glass half full, so I don’t see a single thing wrong with taking me time/SO time/friend time/whatever to recharge. You have to also take care of yourself in order to take care of your children. 
  • I had a beer and a half Wednesday night. 
  • @msb615 OMG Jimmy Johns sounds amazing! 🤤

I am TERRIFIED of any flying animals. Birds, squirrels, butterflies, all of them! I hate the unpredictablilty if their flying and will not tolerate being near them, EVER!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @casattack yes! 🙌🏼 I slept 13 hours Wednesday night (granted I was super sick) but I then napped for 2-3 hours on Thursday. Take that nap, mama!
  • I’m team eat all the subs here too. I’ve had two in the past week and have already been thinking of another for lunch tomorrow. I have to say, right now, my favorite part of the sandwich is the pickles and yellow mustard (maybe that’s my FFFC lol)
  • @DuchessOfCambridge - A large dog recently tackled my 3 year old and I went off on the owner like a wild woman. It's IRRESPONSIBLE to let your dogs run around a park without a leash. He had his dog tethered to a tree but the leash was like 100 feet long. Right next to the toddler play area. I've also been run at and jumped on by large dogs myself. I hate it.

I reported the bozo to our Parks & Rec department. I took a picture of him and sent it in. Haven't seen him at that park since.
  • mrskoz428 said:
    @msb615 OMG Jimmy Johns sounds amazing! 🤤

I am TERRIFIED of any flying animals. Birds, squirrels, butterflies, all of them! I hate the unpredictablilty if their flying and will not tolerate being near them, EVER!
    ...squirrels...
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @mrskoz428 I’m more on your level about flying (and stinging) insects. I still run and spaz out over bees/wasps/etc. Also hate beetles and cicadas for their random unpredictable ways. Roaches are the absolute worst. I really just hateee bugs.  
  • @sleepy33 I mean, I’ve never seen one but...the feelings remain the same.
  • @mrskoz428 Wait... what?! You’ve never seen a squirrel?!? 😳
  • Do you mean you've never seen one fly, or...? BC you know they don't fly right...I can't tell if this is serious or if your flu has you delirious or what lol  :D

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @sleepy33 flying squirrels don't technically fly, but I think having one gliding past me would scare the absolute bejesus out of me.  FTR, I've never seen one (although the Northern Flying Squirrel is native to Canada so maybe one day I will) but squirrels in general creep me out so these would be especially bad.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • mcewen3 said:
    @sleepy33 flying squirrels don't technically fly, but I think having one gliding past me would scare the absolute bejesus out of me.  FTR, I've never seen one (although the Northern Flying Squirrel is native to Canada so maybe one day I will) but squirrels in general creep me out so these would be especially bad.
    Ohhhh lol I literally forgot such a thing as a 'flying' squirrel existed haha. I was so confused. 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @sleepy33 not even gonna lie, I totally googled to make sure before responding.  I started wondering if maybe flying squirrels were some sort of myth like house hippos, so had to cover my basis before claiming to be all knowing haha
  • @wishiwaspreggo to be fair, it was an off leash park, which we didn't know before we got there. I still don't want your giant dog running at me and jumping up on me and leaving muddy paw prints.

• @wishiwaspreggo to be fair, it was an off leash park, which we didn't know before we got there. I still don't want your giant dog running at me and jumping up on me and leaving muddy paw prints.
    Our dog is a menace.  I mean, she wouldn't ever hurt you and is incredibly sweet with our (and all other) kids, but she is always over-excited and we have never been successful at teaching her not to jump.  She's way better than she used to be but still not great.  I don't take her to off-leash parks because I don't feel like I have adequate control of her 100% of the time.  An incident like you are describing could easily have occurred with my dog, so I just don't put us in that type of situation.  Sounds like that dog is the same, so maybe shouldn't have been off-leash.  Off-leash parks are great in theory, but they're only good if all the dog owners who frequent them are able to control their dogs.
  • @mcewen3 @sleepy33 definitely referring to flying squirrels. Have never seen one but have no desire. But hey, you never know, that stomach bug was truly something!

@poshspice I play the pregnant card a lot! It doesn’t work. DH says it’s too early. I keep showing him the dialation chart. It’s never too early for requests!
  • @mrskoz428 what???  :D First trimester is when I need the most help from DH. We'd discussed it when we started trying and then once we found out I was pregnant (harder now with a toddler so we were strategizing). This is when DH gets me water on demand, tries to help me sleep in and take naps, cooks, etc. Others might have had different experiences but I didn't need much help from him as a FTM later in the pregnancy. Yes, I would sit to do dinner prep the last month but I was much more capable of doing things on my own the 9th month than from 6-14 weeks. Maybe that's a UO?

• @kvh22 totally opposite for me.  I honestly feel like I have been pretty self-sufficient throughout my pregnancies, but I needed more help with DD1 during 3rd tri than the rest of it.  I don't suffer from much MS, so that helps, and she was young enough that I took a nap when she did and then just went to bed early.  3rd tri I was worn right out though.  By that time she was nearly 2, barely napped, it was spring and she was super active.  I just couldn't keep up and needed DH to relieve me when he got home from work and on his days off.  
  • @mcewen3 to your point, I haven't done a 3rd trimester with a toddler so we'll see how that goes. @mrskoz428 is a FTM, so I was mostly going off of my experience last pregnancy with no kids. I never get sick but have really bad first trimesters. We both work so I'm only alone with DD when DH travels or if he's home late from work, at the gym, etc., not all day. I give major props to SAHMs, especially while pregnant!

• kvh22 said:
    @mcewen3 to your point, I haven't done a 3rd trimester with a toddler so we'll see how that goes. @mrskoz428 is a FTM, so I was mostly going off of my experience last pregnancy with no kids. I never get sick but have really bad first trimesters. We both work so I'm only alone with DD when DH travels or if he's home late from work, at the gym, etc., not all day. I give major props to SAHMs, especially while pregnant!
    That makes sense.  Honestly, I think its tough with a toddler whether you SAH or work.  Because regardless of if you've been there all day or not, you're still exhausted when you get home and the day is still not over.  I always tell FTMs, take the time to really pamper yourself in your first pregnancy.  Don't overdo it or try to be a hero and try to enjoy the experience.  Because subsequent pregnancies just don't allow the same kind of rest/pamper/relaxation.    
  • FFFC I think my boss is a pushover and I wonder how she really got her MBA. 

• You guys are making me want a giant sandwich. 
  • DH is off visiting a friend I greatly dislike tonight, so I'm feeding the girls chocolate toast (Nutella on UNTOASTED bread) and doing zero housework.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• I'm eating two dinners tonight. Right now I'm eating the leftover chicken & dumplings I made last night, then my SIL and her family are coming over in a half hour and we ordered pizza. No shame. I told DH I don't care, I'm hungry.
  • @k2k2tog LOL that's real passive aggressive! I love it!