May 2019 Moms

UO Thursday 9/27

Re: UO Thursday 9/27

• @expandcontract Oh yeah. I don't know if it's because that individual knows s/he is in the wrong, and gets defensive about it, or what. I also think "Back to School" time is awful with all of the Back to School pictures, which is also very dangerous. 
  • @hutterflutter1019 I always cringe with the back to school photos. Those boards with the grade, school, teacher, class.. ahh why does that need to be posted? 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @hutterflutter1019 I am with you on not posting pics of kids online. DH is extremely strict about no photos of DD online. She's the flower girl in a wedding next weekend and I'm super worried because the bride overshares her entire life on FB and insta.  :#
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @poshspice I was the same! DS was around 18m, and it was way past time. I finally got motivated to get the last 10 pounds off for my husband’s work “reward” trip for sales. Had it not been a cruise and knowing I’d have to be in a bathing suit, I may not have worried as much, but I did it, and for the first time since the summer of 2015, I put on that two piece and felt like myself again. It’s been a nice few months of having the weight off, and I’m not looking forward to getting it off again, but I am happy to be starting at the weight I want rather than with 10lbs extra to lose like I did last time. I’m already feel pudgy and have no energy to exercise, so I’m hoping the no energy at least passes soon. 
  • poshspice said:
    @hutterflutter1019 I am with you on not posting pics of kids online. DH is extremely strict about no photos of DD online. She's the flower girl in a wedding next weekend and I'm super worried because the bride overshares her entire life on FB and insta.  :#
    I have a cousin who literally shares at least hundreds of pictures a week of her daughter on FB. I have to repeatedly remind her to NOT post pictures of my kids on her FB when we get together for holidays or birthdays. It's exhausting because sometimes she "forgets", but I think she goes with the philosophy: "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission."
  • I'm totally guilty of sharing a ton of pics online. 🙈🙈 I do make sure most of my pics are only visible to my friends though. 

I don't post back to school pics with all the info though. That's kind of scary.

Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • At my work,  whenever someone has a baby,  the mom sends pictures to EVERYBODY.  And then people are forwarding those pics to random others who don't even know the mom.  
    When DD was born i was like "hell no!"
    I sent ONE picture to my boss and i told her she can only show the picture to people on her phone. She may not send the picture to anyone.  Luckily, she's very good about privacy. 

• I'm pro breastfeeding as well, but also hated it. It's convenient, but I just didn't feel that "bond" everyone says you'll have.

Ok, I'm bracing myself for flames for this UO, because I KNOW it's unpopular: I think people who post tons of pictures of their kids on Facebook/Instagram are putting themselves and their kids at risk.
    I definitely think this is not as unpopular as you think. And I don't necessarily disagree with you. But I also share a ton of photos of my kids online. I used to write a blog pretty consistently before instagram killed blogging. There is definitely a risk that your pictures will be stolen and used in nefarious ways. But I think the biggest risk for kids comes when they start their own accounts. 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• edited September 2018
    My UO (maybe?): One of my coworkers just had their first baby, and several people have organized a "meal train" to bring food to their home each night for the first week or so now that they're out of the hospital. To me, this sounds like a nightmare. Fresh out of the hospital, now have a revolving door of acquaintances come paw at my new baby in exchange for sketchy casserole and feelings of obligation to return the dish asap? This makes me want to lock myself inside and never leave.
    My friends have done this before and we’ve  texted the new parents that a dinner is waiting for them on their front steps (ETA in a disposable pan). But agree, if it’s done the way you’re describing, absolute nightmare. I didn’t mind some visitors but I got upset if they stayed longer than 45 minutes or didn’t leave the next time DS needed to nurse. Figuring out breastfreding is hard enough without an audience. 

• @brie_and_almonds our church does a meal train and I never stay. I drop off the food and leave. We had people bring meals with our girls and it was great to not have to make dinner but we did have a few people come and stay but I think we invited them in. It’s been awhile though so my memory is a little fuzzy! Haha. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• edited September 2018
    @k2k2tog Yes! I am absolutely dreading that day when my kids ask for a FB account. Fingers crossed that it'll be obsolete by then??
  • @hutterflutter1019 I think it's pretty well close to done for the next generation already. They're all more interested in snapchat.

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• poshspiceposhspice member
    edited September 2018
    There are so many more nefarious apps than FB and insta we’re going to have to worry about for our kids. Something called musical.ly is currently used by young kids and by predators and human traffickers. I read an article about it and there are huge loopholes around their privacy rules. I’m sure there will be even worse things out in 10 years from now. 

I think there are actually plenty of articles about this app, but here is just one. https://www.parents.com/toddlers-preschoolers/everything-kids/policeman-dad-warns-using-the-musically-app-could-put-your/
    Ticker

• @poshspice my daughter begged me to let her down load that app and I refused.  She got a cell phone this year for her birthday bit we have parental controls set on it. Shes not able to download any apps without me approving it from my phone first. 
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• @psychobutthead good work! “Social” apps for small kids just seem like bad bad news in so many ways. 
    Ticker

• @poshspice i agree.  Its difficult because she just started middle school and all her friends are allowed to have all these apps and even have fb. 

I dont even want her to have a phone at her age.  But tthe school doesn't let the kids call home if they forget they have after school activities or tutoring. So we got her a phone so she can reach me when she needs me or an issue comes up.  So far its been very helpful. 

Like today she was supposed to have after school tutoring.  But her teacher didn't tell everyone it was canceled until last minute. Her teacher wouldnt let her text me that.  So she called me after school let out to come get her. 
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• edited September 2018
    @poshspice I don't know if it's musical.ly or lyric.ly. I only know about it because an ad popped up for it when i was using something else. Anyhow, it had a short video of this really young girl (maybe 12) belly dancing on it.  This girl was dressed up like an adult with a crop top and leggings dancing sexually. I was shocked top see that! It's just begging for pedophiles. 

• @DuchessOfCambridge That sounds much better. I don't know the new parents very well, but other coworkers have described them as "pretty private," while in the next breath bragging about spending an hour with the new baby when they delivered their meal. The way you describe sounds 100x better than what I was imagining.

@robyn2201 yeah, maybe it's not as bad as I'm imagining. Hopefully the family invited those who talked about snuggling the baby in to chat for a bit. I just remember in those first days I was lucky to get a shower, burst into tears every five seconds, and leaking milk all over... not exactly the state I want to greet my coworkers in.

Also, I'm weird about people coming over and the last thing I would want to worry about is cleaning.
    kids with flags
  • @DuchessOfCambridge how old is your son? Mine is a little over 2.5 and he has strong opinions now lol.
    I’m with you - I love chicken McNuggets. I get a 6 piece happy meal for myself :)
    I try to buy organic when it matters... like I’ll buy an organic potato because it’s grown in the soil and porous... but I won’t buy an organic banana since it has a thick peel we remove anyway. 
    Our kids are eating grass-fed, pasture raised everything at school... get over yourself (other parents) for a cheddar bunny - I mean, come on!
  • @willmisspumpkinbeer he’s 10.5 months. He had mac and cheese for the first time yesterday and he couldn’t have cared less. He was having broccoli with it too and was equally enthusiastic about both 😂 

Not even organic can save sweet potatoes from having too many heavy metals so there’s just no hope for any of us I guess 😂🤣😂🤣

• @willmisspumpkinbeer he’s 10.5 months. He had mac and cheese for the first time yesterday and he couldn’t have cared less. He was having broccoli with it too and was equally enthusiastic about both 😂 

Not even organic can save sweet potatoes from having too many heavy metals so there’s just no hope for any of us I guess 😂🤣😂🤣
    Definitely ride that broccoli train for as long as you can!
  • edited September 2018
    @brie_and_almonds you're definitely not weird. I think the majority of us prefer to have a clean house when guests are over. 

@lappymom2019 Im with you on the FB. I haven't deleted my account. However,  i haven't posted anything in the longest time.  I really only use it to creep on people like when we're interviewing a potential employee.  All of my friends and most of my family are now on Instagram.  

@willmisspumpkinbeer "Everything in moderation, " is my motto for life.  Being that strict has only backfired on me. I completely agree with you. We try to buy organic whenever possible.  The one thing that we are strict on is always buying organic milk even though it's way more expensive.  There are just way too many hormones in milk for our comfort.  

• @expandcontract We do the same exact thing. Always organic milk and the dirty dozen when possible. I agree @willmisspumpkinbeer - Kids should know that sweets, candy, etc. exists. And it's something they eat occasionally, when the parent decides. I feel like making unhealthy foods super taboo/secretive just encourages unhealthy eating later on, when kids are around foods like that and parents aren't there to force them to eat one thing or another.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lappymom2019 I’m so jealous of anyone that’s managed to deactivate Facebook.  I had mine deactivated for a while but I have too many friends who insist on only communicating via Facebook so I had to reactivate.  I refuse to actually post anything there though.

• @DuchessOfCambridge 1000% agree with you on organic. I majored in food science and it’s crazy what goes on with marketing tactics to sell food (or dissuade from certain foods).
  • edited September 2018
    @DuchessOfCambridge well that's good to know bc my son literally eats 1500 strawberries a day every day

(eta: the non organic variety)
  • megsb615megsb615 member
    edited September 2018
    @DuchessOfCambridge Agree about kids having the rest of their life to eat junk. I don’t “deprive” my child of sweets or treats. He went through a vanilla wafer phase, and he is obsessed with fig newtons currently, but I try to keep the majority of his foods somewhat healthy. I also only give him water and milk. Husband will give him watered down Gatorade sometimes, and of course he lovesss his “Gatey” and pitches a fit for it when he sees it in the fridge. I’m not trying to have those battles. Can’t miss something you’ve never had. 🤷🏼‍♀️

@vivereidescent Right there with you on that. That’s the one thing I wish I could go back and do differently with DS. Lesson learned. 
  • Our goal is to eventually grow/raise nearly all our own food so we eat relatively healthy here and try to stay away from lots of processed foods and we rarely eat out. Of course occasionally isn't going to hurt. First tri all bets are off. Food is food and survival is key. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @vivereidescent woa, your ped is not supposed to say that, really. She's clearly biased and is basically imposing BF on you. That not makes a good doctor. 

• @vivereidescent what @expandcontract said. Our ped was totally on board with bfing and supportive but DS struggled to gain weight. He was consistently in the 1-2%ile and fell off the chart altogether a few times. His ped immediately suggested supplementing. Turns out we didn’t need to so I kept going but he didn’t even bat an eye at the 6 mo appointment when I said I was weaning. That’s the kind of support you need. Help when you want to bf, help when it’s not working out for whatever reason. I’m sorry you didn’t get that first time around, there definitely is so much pressure from outside and also from ourselves. Someone at my baby shower asked me if I was going to bf and launched into a lecture on why it’s so awesome. Like wow, haven’t given birth yet, what if my boobs don’t do that? Shh. 

• @hutterflutter1019 this wasn't you by any chance,  was it?