Pregnant after IF

Bad Eggs and PGD (newbie) TW Losses

Hi Everyone,
Let me start by saying this post may be a TW for some. 

I'm new to posting but a long time reader of these boards. I am currently pregnant but will probably experience my 3rd miscarriage in a year and a half and my 4th total.

A quick background. I had my first MC 9 years ago. Hubby and I decided to wait and enjoy our 20s before trying again. Fast forward to April 2017 when I found out I was pregnant. At 20 weeks, we found out our daughter had Trisomy 18, and 2 weeks later I MC'd. In March 2018, I found out I was pregnant again, twins, and MC'd at 8 weeks. Started seeing a RE who ran all sorts of tests. Came back that I have MTHFR, PCOS and Endometriosis (I already knew about the Endo after being diagnosed in 2012). No chromosomal translocation for hubby or myself. Doc warned that I may have bad eggs, as T18 is not common when you're 29. He felt we should do IVF with PGD.  My husband and I declined and instead decided to try clomid. 2 weeks ago I found out I was pregnant for the 4th time. My beta HCG has been terrible, not doubling, barely moving. I've been taking progestorone, baby asprin, lovenox injections, prenatals and additional folic acid. Dr. said to prepare myself as this pregnancy will not be viable either. He once again stated I have bad eggs and suggested IVF with PGD if I want to try again. 

My question is, has anyone ever had anything similar, done IVF with PGD and had good embryos? IVF with PGD is very expensive and I'm petrified to spend all the money to have every embryo come back abnormal. I'm not asking if anyone has had a successful pregnancy, just if anyone has had success with PGD testing after being told they have bad eggs. 

Re: Bad Eggs and PGD (newbie) TW Losses

• byrnemebyrneme member
    edited September 2018
    Hello and I'm sorry to hear you are going through all of this, I cannot even imagine. We got pregnant naturally and I had a MMC around 6 weeks and found out at our 9 week ultrasound. Got pregnant again almost immediately and that resulted in chemical. Tried the natural route for awhile and it didn't work so went into the RE for testing. He felt my AMF was fine but, at my age (36 at the time) it was likely chromosomal/my eggs and suggested IVF with PGD. We chose to do 4 medicated IUIs, all of which failed. When we did the IVF retrieval I had 13 eggs, 10 fertilized, 3 made it to Day 5 and 1 came back genetically sound. We are insanely lucky that one embryo resulted in a healthy baby girl. I 100% believe that the genetic testing is worth every penny. I didn't have a problem (at first at least) getting pregnant but staying pregnant was a whole different story. I hope this helps and sending lots of baby wishes your way. Good luck.
    *** TW**

Me: 37, DH:39
    Met: 2002 | Married: 2004 | TTC since January 2014
    July 2015: MMC @ 9 wks | August 2015: Chemical
    March, April, May & June 2016: Medicated IUIs | BFN 
    August 2016: Started Stims 8/22
    September 2016: Egg Retrieval 9/4 | 13 Mature Eggs | 10 Fertilized | 3 Blastocytes | 1 PGS Normal Embaby 
    November 7, 2016: FET - BFP!
    EDD 7/25/17
    Zoey Alexis born 7/25/17 @ 12:39 PM | 7lbs 14oz | 19 inches
  • mbradfo2mbradfo2 member
    edited September 2018
    I also had a MMC around 7-8 weeks (and a vanishing twin at the same GA); my doctor ultimately feels that our primary issue was likely egg quality with a side reserve issues based on my IVF cycle and borderline lab numbers  (I consulted with him briefly when I dropped by with baby for a visit).  I got 9 mature eggs on retrieval and only 5 fertilized, but we ended up with 2 untested day 6 blasts. One of those M/C; the other is my little girl, so likely there was only one normal one. We did not test because we got so few blasts and I was under 35 with only one prior m/c at that point -- the RE would have suggested it in the future since our issue seems to be producing normal embryos rather than staying pregnant. My vanishing twin and MMC both had the same signs of abnormality, so technically 2 MC out of 3 embryo implants. 

Most ladies I know who have egg quality issues and do IVF with testing end up with similar numbers (if they get any at all) -- 1 to 2 normal embryos. . 

I'm sorry you are experiencing all of this :-(  I hope you get your take-home baby soon!!!
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Loading the player...
  • IVF/PGD will find you a good embryo without you having to miscarry the bad ones. That alone is priceless. You have been through enough. 
  • I had 3 early miscarriages and no answers. I sought a second opinion from a new re who said thought my eggs were likely bad even though all my other tests were normal. We ended up sending 9, five day embryos for PhD testing only 2 came back normal. (For my age at the time that was a very low percent) PGS testing does not ensure a take home baby but it can help you decide what to transfer. The cost was well worth it to me when I think of those other 7 embryos where they didn’t have a chance i was at my breaking point and I may not have had the mental strength to make it to pgs normal ones. It is possible to get no normal embryos which happened with my first IVF it is a huge blow and I hope that isn’t the case for you but I guess with my second IVF I figure I rather know it was unsuccessful and not transfer than suffer another loss. Best wishes to you I know this is not an easy road and these decisions are so difficult and personal. Take some time after hearing the pros and cons and above all other opinions trust your gut. 
    Me:38 DW:33 
    TTC History in Spoiler ***Trigger Warning*** Losses/Child Mentioned 
    Dx: My wife has no sperm  :D and apparently my embryos aren't as good as they look

* April IUI#1 - BFN
     * June IUI#2 - BFN
     * July IUI#3 - CP  :'(
     * Sept IVF#1 - 4 Retrieved & Mature, 4 Blasts.  Fresh Transfer 1  - CP  :'(
     * November FET #1 - Transferred 1 Blast - CP  :'(
    2017 Switched REs - Recurrent loss testing for me - all normal, remaining 2 frosties sent for PGS - both abnormal
     * April/May IVF#2:  9 retrieved, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 7 blasts!  Sent for testing - 2PGS Normals (0 remaining)
     * November IVF #3 12R, 8M, 6F, 4 blasts! - All 4 PGS normal!
     * November FET# 2 (Transfer a PGS normal from IVF#2) - BFP!!!
    2018 DD born 8/20/18
    2019 5PGS frosties ( 4 remaining)
      * September FET#3 (1PGS normal) - Beta#1: 139.7  Beta#2: 322.6

• I’m sorry that you are going through all this. Have you had a second opinion? I’m asking because I’m a bit surprised that your doctor concluded that you had bad eggs after T18 chromosomal abnormality with your first pregnancy. My understanding is that T18 is the second most common chromosomal abnormality after Down syndrome. While the risk of having an embryo with the abnormality does increase with age, it’s not unheard of in younger mothers. My state actually screens for trisomy 21, 18 and 13 (through serum testing and ultrasound) in all pregnant women, not just women of AMA.

That said, embryo abnormality is one of the main reasons why women miscarry and PGS screening will at least rule out the abnormality as the cause of miscarriage. I screened my embryos since I was 38 at the time of IVF and I’m glad I did. I had 5 embryos after retrieval #2 and all 5 came back abnormal. If I hadn’t screened them, I’d have likely spent 1-2 years transferring them without any success. I was able to get 4 normals from the third retrieval and one became my son. 

I also noticed one thing from your post. If you have a MTHFR mutation, I thought that you need to take a different folic acid, the methylated one, instead of taking more folic acid. 
    Me: 41  DH: 46
    Unexplained infertility/AMA, polycystic ovaries, insulin resistance
    FET#1(July 2017): eSET of first of 4 PGS-normal embryos, DS born 3/30/2018
    FET#2(Oct/Nov 2019): eSET  
  • @cashewchicken After my 3rd miscarriage (lost 4 babies by that point) is when he stated that he believes I have bad eggs, partially due to the T18 and because of the amount of miscarriages by 29. My first pregnancy ended at 7 weeks. I was also tested for T13, 18, and 21 at 13 weeks with my second pregnancy and the test never picked up the T18. It wasn't until my anatomy scan and a later amnio that we discovered what was wrong. I've been taking a vitamin called Methyl B Complete. When I wrote the post, I couldn't remember the exact name, so that's why I just said extra folic acid lol. 
  • Thank you all for taking the time to respond and tell me your stories. Knowing that I am not alone and that other people have done PGD and have had atleast 1 good embryo gives me hope. I know I can no longer try naturally as I cannot mentally handle losing more babies. 
  • Glad you jumped over here and got some more answers. Thinking about you. :) I ended up doing PGS testing on our embryos since I also didn't want to transfer any that may have chromosomal issues as well. It is tough and it is expensive, but I do think you would be able to get some normal ones with testing.  
    TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy. 
  • @Holls214 thank you for the recommendation  :)