May 2019 Moms

Randoms 9/24

Let's hear some randoms y'all!

Re: Randoms 9/24

• I love this dog's ears!

• @expandcontract He's so derpy, I love it
  • Loading the player...
  • @vivereidescent isn't that dumb? With our first, DH was off on paternity leave while I was still at work because I was overdue. He has a much better policy than mine.

• @vivereidescent my husband does too he gets 16 weeks and they'll also pay I think it was something like 6-8 weeks if we can prove I don't get any.

• @SpaceBurger @troystory17 it's insane how backwards things feel. I'm so jealous of all our husbands getting so much time - esp the 16+ weeks! 
  • @nopegoat I'll be here hoping for chick pics!

@chloe97 Wow, your neighbor has a great leave plan!  Here in CA we have a (relatively) generous setup with short-term social security/baby bonding for 12 weeks total paid through the state, but it's still not much compared to companies with paid leave, or leave options in other countries.  
    DD born PPROM preemie at 36 weeks on 10/1/17 after over a year TI, 
    then 3 failed IUIs, and finally a successful IVF FET.

Due with #2 5/2/19 after HIO once in my FW,
    because apparently that's how life works now. Team Blue!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • its ridiculous and so antiquated 
  • I work for an amazing company in the Bay Area that gives 18 weeks at full pay - beyond thankful although I know in other countries that's still not comparable. A big issue I also have is the lack of leave for partners. It sets up the working-moms-pulling-more-weight issue once we go back to work.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @Chloe17 both your neighbor's and your leave policies sounds amazing! a wholeee lot better than my nothing lol
    @wishiwaspreggo yes exactly!!! 
  • Before I got pregnant we were looking at my husband's company's parental leave policies and we got really excited because they had a policy where they'd do EI top up, so basically he could take about a year off at 100% pay, provided he stayed with the company for a year after. But then it turned out that that policy is only in place for birth mothers, and all non-birth parents get is an extra week of vacation. Boooo. So we were pretty upset about that. I work for a small, woman run company, which is good and bad. I know my boss will do everything she can to make something work for me, but we have no parental leave policies in our contacts, and there probably isn't much extra money to do any kind of top up thing. I don't even know if I want to take as long as I'm entitled to under Canadian law, but I'll stop talking about all that for the sake of all the Americans who get a pretty awful deal.
  • Putting off reading What to Expect when Expecting by lurking through the thread all day... I’m justifying it by thinking “well at least we’re talking about pregnancy”
    New mommy to be!
    EDD: 05/27/19
    hoping for a girl!!!
  • Dh is home.  Going to totally take a 2nd nap.
    I am insanely jealous of your nap
  • Maternity leave in the US gets me so riled up. Like, I quit my job because I didn’t get enough time with my son and based on some health stuff, we just weren’t ready to be apart. Don’t even get me started on Ivanka.

DS and I got into a car accident today, rear ended by a truck with a trailer as I was turning into our building parking lot. He didn’t slow down. We’re both okay, I’m just mad. His cold has also gotten worse so he’s not the happiest camper and I’m excited for this day to just end. 

• @DuchessOfCambridge that's awful.  So lucky you're both totally fine, but I'd be so mad.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • @DuchessOfCambridge omg! Are you sure you're both okay? About how fast was he going? Did he even stop? 
    Don't be surprised if you wake up real sore tomorrow.  

• Thanks @mcewen3 @expandcontract. The speed limit for the road is 35 so he was likely going around 40. He said he didn’t see me indicate, he got the back left of my car as I was turning and then he slowed and stopped. He felt really bad. DS and I both seemed fine so I declined the ambulance ride to the hospital and we just went ourselves because $$$$$. Obviously if anything had gone wrong, we would have gotten in and not thought twice but the EMTs said they liked how we looked. Airbags didn’t even deploy. Overall it could have been a lot worse but I’m just so furious. We bought our car new last year and paid in full! We didn’t do that lightly and now I’m worried it’s going to be “off” once it’s repaired. 

• On another note... I started listening to Christmas music today. It is my favorite time of the year!
  • Thanks @mcewen3 @expandcontract. The speed limit for the road is 35 so he was likely going around 40. He said he didn’t see me indicate, he got the back left of my car as I was turning and then he slowed and stopped. He felt really bad. DS and I both seemed fine so I declined the ambulance ride to the hospital and we just went ourselves because $$$$$. Obviously if anything had gone wrong, we would have gotten in and not thought twice but the EMTs said they liked how we looked. Airbags didn’t even deploy. Overall it could have been a lot worse but I’m just so furious. We bought our car new last year and paid in full! We didn’t do that lightly and now I’m worried it’s going to be “off” once it’s repaired. 
    Omg! I'm glad you both are ok.  Sorry about your car. 
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• @DuchessOfCambridge omg how scary! Glad you are okay!

@bazzie88 There’s a singing group at work that performs at Christmas time and they start by having weekly practices in the office right next to mine in October. I love love love getting serenaded by them each week leading up until Christmas.

Guess the grass is always greener on the other side for me. With DD I had a 12 week maternity leave and compared to my friends it was horrible so I was so mad. Then after I quit that job and move across the country, former job came out with a new 20 week leave plan. Current employer has 6 weeks. I get that that’s sadly still great compared to other US companies but come on!!!!
  • @DuchessOfCambridge oh my gosh I'm so sorry about your accident!! So glad you & your son are ok! You should be eligible to get a new carseat covered by insurance bc at least in my state if your carseat is in any kind of accident no matter how small they make you get a replacement. So sorry you're dealing with this now on top of a sick LO :'(

@bazzie88 most people probably think I'm a little crazy bc I listen to Christmas music year round lol it just makes me happy! I can't wait til it's everywhere in another 2 months!
  • @DuchessOfCambridge yikes! I'm glad you both are ok!!
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• @DuchessOfCambridge oh no, glad you guys are okay!
  • @DuchessOfCambridge yikes!! I'm so glad you guys are ok! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Maternity leave policies piss me off. My husband gets nothing. He can’t even use is sick days for it. 

Mom a different note, does anyone have safe tips on relieving sinus pressure. My head feels like it’s going to explode and saline solution isn’t doing anything!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • mrskoz428 said:
    Maternity leave policies piss me off. My husband gets nothing. He can’t even use is sick days for it. 

Mom a different note, does anyone have safe tips on relieving sinus pressure. My head feels like it’s going to explode and saline solution isn’t doing anything!
    Get a sinus rinse kit. They are awesome! A nurse I worked with at a school told me to get one when I got a sinus infection when I was pregnant with my son. I think they are like $15. Just make sure to use bottled water with it.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• @mrskoz428 I am a huge fan of the Netipot for sinus rinsing.  Also, when that wasn’t quite doing it for me a couple weeks ago, I took a super hot, wet washcloth (as hot as you can stand) and placed it over my forehead and eyes for a few min.  Ran it under more hot water and repeated.  If you do that for 10 min or so before rinsing I think it helps loosen it up a lot. 
  • @DuchessOfCambridge oh good that at least the EMTs checked you out.  I know,  it truly sucks being in an accident and having to deal with repairs and crap. But focus on the important stuff,  you and son are okay.  

@mrskoz428 do you actually have mucus in your sinuses or is it dry and inflamed like mine? Netipots are great for mucus.  Just out your humidifier if you have one,  too. Drink lots of water to thin out the mucus.  

• My husband is a butthole sometimes. Wednesday night is open house at my school, from 6 to 8 FREAKING 45! I will have to leave at 3, drive 30 minutes for a doctor's appointment, drive 30 minutes back to pick up DD, drive 35 minutes home, be there for maybe 30 minutes, drive 35 minutes back to work, see maybe 5 parents, then drive 35 minutes home. My needing-a-nap, secretly-pregnant ass cannot handle that! So I was telling him my plan to get out of it. He starts lecturing me about how he doesn't think it's a good idea, how it makes me seem like I'm not a team player, how it will look like I try to get out of things, etc. I know he is right, but it doesn't makebhim any less of a butt hole. 
  • @liliumstargazer13 i agree with you.  He should've supported your decision since you're not feeling well.  It's not like you want to ditch because you're just lazy.  You have a very valid reason.  

• @liliumstargazer13 could your H not pick up DD and take her home?  Then you could just go back to school after your appt, maybe with some good takeout, have a quiet supper to yourself, meet the parents and go home?
  • @mcewen3 that would be a great solution, but our second car is out of commission (butthole works from home). He was supposed to get it inspected in MARCH, then he had to order new tires (which apparently takes 3 months), and now the battery is dead. I gave him the evil eye after his lecture, then he started talking about his new plan to get it fixed. I'm not holding my breath. 
  • @vivereidescent yes, we're getting our carseat replaced at no cost! Good thing too, it's brand new, literally installed less than a week ago.

@liliumstargazer13 that's rude. Men should try being pregnant and doing ALL the things before lecturing. They'd never last.

• @liliumstargazer13 men have no clue. Also that stresses me out just reading it. I wouldn't want to do it either. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙