April 2019 Moms

UO Thursday - 9/20/18

2»

Re: UO Thursday - 9/20/18

• @kangstadt I also don’t like bacon that much. I’ll take a nice fatty piece every once in a while but I do not understand the obsession. No maple bacon anything for me! No bacon bits in potatoes, no bacon in salads, etc. 
  • @sdelg09 I had maple bacon last night and it was heaven lol. But I doubt if I even have bacon every other month.
  • Loading the player...
  • You guyz!!! Bacon is lyfe!!!!!

lol jk. Also my autocorrect doesn’t like when I try to make fun. 

but for real I freaking love bacon. Mmmm. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • kangstadtkangstadt member
    edited September 2018
    @thatbaintforbetty, to be fair, I'm vegetarian, although I didn't really eat bacon as a kid either.  Also, caffeine gives me migraines like a bitch, so I steer clear of all coffee or caffeinated teas.

@sdelg09, yeah, I don't get it.  My DH would probably eat bacon every day if he could, and he has a preference for the applewood smoked or hickory smoked varieties.  DS likes it too, but only if it's cooked juuust right, not too crispy and not too soft.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I despise coffee.  The smell makes me gag, even when I'm not pregnant.  I also hate beer- and my DH brews his own, he was even the president of a local home brewers club.  
  • @aqualicious would he make mead for you?
  • @lyse01 his friend has, I don't like that either.  I also hate wine.  I'm an awful Italian!  Put a margarita in front of me and I'm good to go though.  
  • I'm obsessed with bacon, but we grow our own pigs and don't get it smoked or cured, so it's a different animal.

@mrstmoose Not to get too personal, but if we lived within our means we wouldn't be able to afford our meager mortgage or food. Hopefully things will get better soon, but right now the cards are the only way we survive. And no one talk to me about "why are we pregnant right now then," it's complicated.
    Me: 29 DW: 44
  • @sheepshepherdess whatever. Babies only become expensive when they start throwing half the fresh, organic, lovingly prepared food on the floor. Or daycare. Pig feed costs more.

fingers crossed things look up soon.
  • Thanks @lyse01, just kind of feeling crappy about it this week and needing to rant. Mostly hormones! I also have to buy pig feed... but most of my animals are leaving to go to freezer camp soon so we have more food and fewer expenses.
  • Feel you on financial troubles, @sheepshepherdess.  Hugs.  I like to think that having kids only has to be expensive as you make it, if you have a good support system (with the obvious exception of buying them food or paying for daycare if you need to).  I didn't have to buy any clothes or toys for my DS because we received so many hand-me-downs.

If we didn't have family to help babysit and work in flexible jobs though, I'm sure we would be flat ass broke from daycare/sitter costs.  Hopefully financial things sort themselves out soon for you guys.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • edited September 2018
    @kangstadt Daycare would be as much as or more then my rent here. They only way we make it work is because my mom watches DD and has said she would watch another if /when the time came. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Yep, day care is fully insane in some areas. My husband and I bought our house a year or two earlier than we'd have liked because mortgage + day care in our new town is about half the cost of rent + day care where we used to live in NYC.
  • Day care doesn't exist where we live, there are a few folks who run one out of their home but I haven't liked any of those yet. The plan is for me to be a SAHM for a while until I can find another job, then have DW and MIL switch off with daycare. Or bring LO to work depending on the job.
  • Daycare is so ridiculously expensive! One of the many reasons I stay at home. If I worked I’d basically just be making enough money for childcare. I do coach swimming in the evening after DH gets home. And MIL and my mom watch the kids a couple days a week so I can help at the blueberries in the summer. I don’t know if they’ll want to do 3 kids next summer though..... We’ll I know MIL won’t.
  • We pay for daycare and I agree the prices can be outrageous but we've gotten very lucky to have found an at home for the first few months with DD who was a friend of the family so that worked and was cheaper. When we moved north we found a daycare that wasn't that much more expensive and I love the facility and staff. We ran the numbers and it still makes sense for both of us to work. Even with the second on the way. I wish I could SAH but even if the numbers showed daycare wasn't worth it, I make too much more than DH so he would stay home over me.

• I'm blessed that we are already living on one income (I'm a stay at home wife/ not really able to keep a job for health reasons), even though things are tight we won't have to change much financially when baby gets here (except add in Insurance...week, at my husband's job it will only be $50/month more for baby I think, which I know is a steal... That also is basically the entire buffer in our budget each month... Time for DH to look for a promotion :-) ). If/when I am able to work some both of our sets of parents live locally and will all be retired soon, and love babies/kids, so they should be able to watch them.

Hmmm I came up with one unusual opinion I'll save until 2nd tri when food makes people gag less lol.
    My alternate UO: I actually like cleaning the toilet. It's just so shiny and nice afterwards and I feel accomplished. (Ok... Not that I do it as often as I should, but still :-) )
  • Ok, I read every post to get caught up. 

I don’t choose organic over non unless it’s cheaper or carrots (my hubby says they taste better. 

I don't love the smell of coffee as soon as it is brewing. 

I use a CC for the airline miles but we do NOT carry a balance. Still paying off student loans. 

Im a SAHM that works a tiny bit (16ish hrs per month) on my hubb’s day off. It would cost more for childcare than I would make or about the same. 

My UO is that Baltic teething necklaces are bizarre and dangerous and I would never use one and am sad when I see them on babies. between the choking hazard and the impossiblility of their usefulness (no science, isn’t actually common sense in any way, and if for some magical reason they had soothing pain killers in them they’d be absorbed at un-controlled amounts and dosages.) just a waste of money and an added risk for baby. Use Tylenol or ibuprofen and reduce the pain in a proven way. 

• @kbirchtree OMG I thought I was the only one not buying into those amber necklaces!!! When I first saw them I just assumed they were meant to be chewed on and thought the size was really odd. Then someone explained that it's the properties of amber that are supposed to help :|

Glad I am not the only one.
  • @kbirchtree OMG I thought I was the only one not buying into those amber necklaces!!! When I first saw them I just assumed they were meant to be chewed on and thought the size was really odd. Then someone explained that it's the properties of amber that are supposed to help :|

Glad I am not the only one.
    They’re silly and dangerous. I’m not a fan. 
  • I will admit I bought into it for like, 2 weeks and had an anklet for DS. Then I put on my "critical thinker" hat and was like oh umm... no. And tossed it out. 
  • My very UO- I don't think daycare is that expensive (for what it is). Yes its a huge chuck of money and depends on where you live too. but for its about 1000 a month for a 2yo - she is there about 10 hrs a day 5 days a week, they provide food, snacks, arts and crafts, lots of learning and its only about $5 an hr. She is safe and happy and I think its a great deal!
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• @kosmo86 our daycare is dirt cheap compared to most places since we live in a small town. But when I used to live in a big city the cost of full time daycare was prohibitive. My salary as a grad student was only around $1500 a month, and full time care would have been nearly that, around $1100 (and would have been even more, but students got a discount). We got part time care there that cost almost as much as full time care does here. 
    My feelings about paying for daycare, especially for more than one kid, is that it’s not always financially sensible in the short term (and I really get why some ppl can’t make it work). But it is a financial investment in having two careers. It’s absolutely worth it to me, but then, I love my job. 
  • @kosmo86 Yeah... sometimes the nearest daycare (that's not a private home) is 30mins away, and you only have 1 parent working anyway, so it doesn't seem that doable. Plus I know I don't have an extra $1000/month lying around. And I love my at-home jobs more than any career I've pursued.

Daycare definitely makes more sense if both parents work, make a good salary, and have access to decent daycare centers.
  • @kosmo86 I agree it's worth it - and i pay nearly $3K a month!  But i have peace of mind and my daughter is learning and having fun every day.  It's not for everyone but it is perfect for us :-)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @professormama yeah we will have to pay for 2 for about a year and it's going to be SO painful - but it's temporary, and like you said it is an investment in our careers. 
    Pregnancy Ticker