UO Thursday - 9/20/18

Let's hear them ladies!

Re: UO Thursday - 9/20/18

• @harveyisaboysname, :lol:.

I don't like coffee, or bacon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • *puts on flameproof suit*

If you're a FTM, and it's before 12 weeks, you don't have a bump. It's bloat/weightgain/constipation. I'd even say this holds true for most STM too. 

Signed, someone who has had strangers ask me how far along I am for the last 8 years because I haven't had a flat stomach since college.
  • I said mine in an earlier thread this week. 
    I don't mind if people touch my belly (once I get one).  I love pregnant woman and I love being pregnant. 
    Me: 31
    H: 36
    L & N twin girls: 3yo. Born at 30 weeks. 2 month NICU stay
    BFP Aug 2018: EDD April 2019
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • So true @Bringmemylongswordho ! At this point, our bumps aren’t filled with babies or utes, it’s pretty much bloat (and poo).

UO- I get really uncomfortable when people talk about picking out a kid name with basically no partner input, or going with one that their partner clearly ‘compromised’ on. :grimace:
  • kaleesi93kaleesi93 member
    edited September 2018
    I hate it when I join a group and have to agree to read the rules 3 times and the first page and a half consists of ignorant people asking the same question. Yo. If you had read the pinned post you would have your answers. 
    Normally I don't get that impatient but why tf can't people read anything. 
    I joined to learn shit and all I see is endless whining. 
  • @harveyisaboysname I don't do pumpkin spice either...yuck
    @Bringmemylongswordho I mostly agree.  I think it really depends on your body type how quickly you show and some people do develop bumps on the earlier side, but I also think we all notice it way more than anybody else ever would.  I totally thought I had a bump leading up to 12 weeks last time, and I guess compared to pre-pregnancy I did, but nobody else in the world would have ever noticed.  That being said, this time, I for sure have a bump, but my kid is barely 9 months old so that probably explains why.

I'm too tired to think of my own right now.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Bringmemylongswordho Rubbish! (lovingly  :*) I'm coming around to the opinion that more than the baby/uterus contribute to the bump. If you have bloat and extra fluids because you have off the charts progesterone in your blood due to pregnancy, it contributes to your bump fair and square! Especially if that bloat is brand new since the BMP and none of your normal clothes fit you anymore even though you've lost weight.
  • MRDCle said:
    I think the concept of organic food is really overblown and the only time I will purposely buy organic is if it is cheaper than the non-organic alternative.  
    I have so many thoughts on this! I actually give a lecture on this subject to one of my classes. Basically, evidence for organic is mixed, there are pros and cons. It is, in some circumstances, better for the environment and for workers. But not in all circumstances. And there's no evidence of health benefits. 
  • MRDCle said:
    I think the concept of organic food is really overblown and the only time I will purposely buy organic is if it is cheaper than the non-organic alternative.  
    I have so many thoughts on this! I actually give a lecture on this subject to one of my classes. Basically, evidence for organic is mixed, there are pros and cons. It is, in some circumstances, better for the environment and for workers. But not in all circumstances. And there's no evidence of health benefits. 
    Yes! It's a frequent topic in this evidence based parenting group I'm in and it has made me feel so much better about not going out of my way to feed DS only organic food.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • happymoni21happymoni21 member
    edited September 2018
    @professormama People keep asking me if I am having a gender reveal party and I keep semi-sarcastically saying "Isn't it a little early to plan that? We may not know their gender identity for decades"...except I am only half-kidding.
  • @professormama agree on sex v. gender. Last BMB we had like, 200 "what gender is my baby do ramzi method!" posts and the drivebys often got up in arms when corrected re: gender.
  • @MRDCle I think the label “organic” usually isn’t as useful as people think. Many small farms use organic methods but can’t afford the certification process, and many organic growers use organic pesticides that would make most people uncomfortable.

i do like supporting my local farmers though.
  • On the topic of nobody having a bump before 12 weeks and just being fat. 
    There is such a thing as having a uterus in a position to show up when it has a fully baked endometrium. As well as weakened abdominals.
    I've personally seen medical professionals about those issues. 
  • MRDCle said:
    This all the way!! Most of the problems people relate to non organic come from farms outside the USA. So I always go with buy local. I am bias since DHs family own 1000 acres of blueberries. Whenever people ask if our farm is organic I want to tell them about all the worms in organic berries(it’s really disgusting). Also there are so many regulations with what you can spray and when you can spray it, that nothing is on the berries by the time they get to you.  And finally DHs grandpa who started the farm(and is a polio survivor) is almost 90 and stills works everyday with no signs of slowing down, and he eats blueberries without washing them lol
  • @lyse01 oh I absolutely support local farmers and shops when possible. If they use organic methods great! 
  •  I never buy organic because my ass is way too poor to spend $10 on one single avocado. I’ll take my lettuce with pesticides for .50$ and so what if my kid might have an extra toe because of it. 

• @professormama and @MRDCle I'm with you guys on the organic stuff. Besides, if you (anyone) say you're never going to feed your kid McDonald's your lying. And we all know it!

My UO: People who put all of their monthly expenses on credit cards so they can "earn points." Come on, just live within your means.
  • U/o (maybe not): I’m pretty sure all kid Halloween costumes should have long sleeves/pants and otherwise be warm. Halloween is like 40-50° - there is no need for my child to get hypothermia trick or treating because the only girl policeman outfit has a short skirt and cap sleeves. 

I intend to encourage costumes like astronaut, which we can make out of a white snowsuit, or dinosaur, out of full-on fleece.
  • @professormama I'm remembering vaguely that on my last BMB somebody posted in a UO or FFFC that they disagreed with the "fuss" over sex vs. gender.  It did not go well for her.  I felt a liiiiittle bad, but mostly it was nice to see that so many of the other mamas were so ready and willing to take a stand.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree people should live within their means, but using a credit card for expenses doesn’t mean one isn’t. @mrstmoose
    Me: 36 & DH: 40
    Married: November 2015
    DD 10/19/2016
    BFP:  8/20/2018 - EDD 5/4/2019
  • @mrstmoose I have to disagree with you on the credit cards!  We put EVERYTHING on ours, but they're also paid off every month so we don't pay any interest.  Last year we put all of our of home remodeling on one card and now I have free flight cancellations on our favorite airline for this entire year (and no debt).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @mrstmoose I know someone who feeds all organic, non pasteurized milk, home raised meat, refuses vaccines because anything other than all of this is POISON, but she takes her kids to McDonald’s like twice a week. I don’t understand the logic. 
  • @mrstmoose I used to exclusively use my credit card for travel rewards and pay it off each month.  I loved the rewards lol!  But I was also still living within my means

+1 one for supporting local farmers!

My UO is that most overpriced baby brands are overrated.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @mrstmoose I have to disagree with you on the credit cards!  We put EVERYTHING on ours, but they're also paid off every month so we don't pay any interest.  Last year we put all of our of home remodeling on one card and now I have free flight cancellations on our favorite airline for this entire year (and no debt).
    We do this too! We pay off our card every month. But the points we rack up usually give us at least one or two nights in a hotel, or a few hundred bucks toward a vacation every year. Loooooove our credit card. 
  • mrstmoosemrstmoose member
    edited September 2018
    That's ok guys, we are allowed to disagree! :)

ETA: Yes, most people I know do not pay off their credit cards, so that's where the basis of my UO stems from. I know there are many responsible people who can use credit cards. We just choose not to. And that's ok too. 
  • @professormama Fair! I guess a better way to put what I wanted to say was that on *most* people, ain’t nobody else recognizing that as a bump vs tummy. I’m 5’1”, so I’m sure I’ll get pretty ridiculous when the time comes.

@harveyisaboysname Ughhh non-pasteurized milk and anti-vax. I work down the hall from clinical microbiologists and I just don’t. get. why someone would play those games other than willful stupidity. People died (and still do, in less fortunate areas) from that stuff.
  • lyse01 said:
    U/o (maybe not): I’m pretty sure all kid Halloween costumes should have long sleeves/pants and otherwise be warm.
    I would agree, BUT for the past two Halloweens here it has been 70 degrees out still. I miss the chilly Halloween weather. 

@professormama Local beats organic, hands down.

@mrstmoose I definitely don't think taking advantage of cc points equates to living beyond your means.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • @mrstmoose I know someone who feeds all organic, non pasteurized milk, home raised meat, refuses vaccines because anything other than all of this is POISON, but she takes her kids to McDonald’s like twice a week. I don’t understand the logic. 
    People draw the strangest lines for what is "ok" vs what's not sometimes..
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • A popular book that I've been seeing going around is Girl, Wash Your Face. A lot of my friends love it and are gushing about it.  I tried listening to the audio book but didn't even get close to finishing because it was absolute crap.
  • @professormama Local beats organic, hands down.

As long as it's local and seasonal. However, if not seasonal, then I'd rather have imported from someplace where it is seasonal. Ah the nuance! lol
  • lyse01 - here in Texas its not normally under 80 for Halloween so snow suits are a def no go!! Last year DS was a dinosaur and was a sweaty mess in his bulky onesie costume
  • @MRDCle agreed, minus one thing: strawberries. I’ve noticed that when I buy regular strawberries they’re mush within a day or two. Organic strawberries stay nice and plump longer, at least for me! 
  • @gollygeeitsamy I've been wanting to read it but have heard mixed reviews.  What turned you off from it?
  • edited September 2018
    The only thing shocking to me in here is that @kangstadt doesn’t like coffee OR bacon. 

I cannot comprehend such a thing. 

Also i had a headache and a ton of  work today and clearly missed some shit. Off to investigate. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • When I was younger I spent to much on my credit cards but now I NEVER use my debit card, we only use credit cards and pay it off every month. We get about $100-150 back in amazon points bc of it and it helps keep your credit up. 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Except for groceries, I basically do ALL of my shopping online.  It always feels safer to use a credit card than a debit card online - I can dispute credit charges, but if my actual money somehow gets hacked, that is a much bigger deal!  Obviously I agree that paying it all of each month is key.  I read about so many people who budget with the cash envelope system and as cool as that seems, I can't figure how to make it work when Amazon is my BFF.