May 2019 Moms
Options

September Arts and Crafts

I feel like there are enough people who requested a crafting check-in, so here we go!

1. What are you working on right now?
2. What was the last thing you finished?
3. What do you want to learn how to do?
4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? 

Share pictures if you've got 'em!

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
DD2: October 2016
DC3: coming May 2019

Re: September Arts and Crafts

• Options
    @projectalice are you knitting your scarf? I learned to knit in elementary school and stopped for some reason. I loved it and went a bought knitting needles and yarn again to try and start up again! 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. What are you working on right now? A bunch of signs for our living room and a new fall wreath 
    2. What was the last thing you finished? A welcome sign for my porch 
    3. What do you want to learn how to do? Sew! I can pretty much do a straight (ish) line and that’s it
    4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? I have a silhouette cameo and I love crafting with it- wood signs are my favorite thing to make, but cute shirts for ds for holidays/birthdays are fun too
  • Options
    I have no creativity whatsoever.  You ladies are amazing. @k2k2tog that hat is super adorable! 

• Options
    poshspiceposhspice member
    edited September 2018
    1. What are you working on right now? A toddler blanket for DD in mistake stitch. It's hard counting to 2 and there's a row I didn't realize had mistakes in it until I was several rows past it so it stays! It's a very bright/dark pink yarn. DD (19 months at the time) picked it out. It's kind of hard to look at. 
    2. What was the last thing you finished? I knitted a giant baby blanket for DD while I was pregnant with her, but recently I made her a washcloth sized blanket with some leftover yarn that she currently sleeps with. She loves it. It's so cute. 
    3. What do you want to learn how to do? Maybe some more complicated patterns or hats or booties? I can pretty much only make rectangles and squares right now. I would love to learn to crochet, too. 
    4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? 
    There's not much to tell. A friend in college tried to teach me and then a few years later I wanted to get back into it so I mostly learned from youtube. I made a scarf for DH as my first project. It is not very fancy lol. I don't even really know how to change colors or weave in my ends.  :# I've also been working on teaching myself how to sew (from youtube). I made a bunch of crib sheets for DD's room because I couldn't find any mermaid sheets for a reasonable price when I was working on decorating. So I found a tutorial and fabric and made sheets! They really weren't too hard and make a good beginner's project. I never realized how much ironing is involved in sewing! 
    Ticker

• Options
    projectaliceprojectalice member
    edited September 2018
    @mrskoz428 I'm actually weaving it! I enjoy weaving fabric too. Yarn can be very pricey though. 

@k2k2tog I like the blanket! The pattern and colors all look great!
  • Options
    @projectalice that’s awesome! I’m not a super crafty person. I’m more of “try something on Pintrest and cross my fingers” kind of crafter! Lol! 
  • Options
    yikes sorry for the huge picture!
  • Options
    1. What are you working on right now? Nothing. :( I am supposed to be seeing my kids’ fall wardrobes but I just don’t have the energy for it! 

2. What was the last thing you finished? An adorable pair of bubble shorts for my 20 month old daughter. 

3. What do you want to learn how to do? I would love to learn embroidery.

4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn
    I started crafting when I was pregnant with my first son. I started by teaching myself to knit and crochet. This past May I started teaching myself to sew and I absolutely love it. 
  • Options
    @sparrowsnest22
     I wanna do a hexie or granny square blankie! They seem so portable and fun. I did a hexie pillow from fabric scraps when I was heavy into quilting and it was so nice to just carry little bits with me instead of huge, half done items. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @sparrowsnest22 I LOVE THAT! Now I might just need to start a second crochet project...

• Options
    1. What are you working on right now? Not really working on anything at the moment.
    2. What was the last thing you finished? Burp cloths for my cousin's baby
    3. What do you want to learn how to do? I wish u knew how to knit better. I can only do one stitch, can't even purl lol.
    4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? My favorite craft is sewing. I taught myself even though my mum is an awesome sewer, she never taught me. I love to sew baby things- burp clothes, blankets, taggie blankets, and sometimes clothes. I am hoping to sew a few things for baby once we know the sex and decide on a nursery theme!

• Options
    @sleepy33 I totally agree, I loved being able to just make the hexagons instead of having this huge blanket laying on my lap. A granny square blanket is on my bucket list! I have hundreds of them pinned. 

@k2k2tog thanks! Look on Pinterest, there are a few good tutorials for hexagon blankets!
  • Options
    @sparrowsnest22 I love the hexagon blanket! I might have to try that for my next project also. 

Im excited to see all the knitters and crocheters in here! I’ve been doing it for a few years and love it! Here’s the project I’m working on now since my daughters 1st blanket was ruined. 

I looove this, what pattern is it? Are you on Ravelry?

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    @thebobloblaw love the texture! The colors remind me of the bubble yum cotton candy gum  :)
  • Options
    a boxy linen shirt for myself (terrified to try and finish the neck properly) and a Simba hat for DS (it’s been waiting on that final ear for months!)

this oliver+s reversible bucket hat:

3. What do you want to learn how to do? I would love to be a much better sew-er! 

4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? When I was 8 or 9 my grandma handed me a beginning knitting book and said, “You should learn to knit.” I guess she wasn’t a hands on teaching kind of grandma! I did learn bit by bit from that book. A few years ago I learned to crochet (via YouTube, etc) and now I mostly crochet and sew. When I have time!

I’m so inspired and impressed by everyone’s projects!
  • Options
    I have a Cricut and I paint with acrylics. Sadly not talented in the area of knitting/sewing.

1. What are you working on right now? Prepping decor for M's birthday and friend's baby shower (Taco 'bout a Baby)
    2. What was the last thing you finished? This onesie for a friend who is due end of the month.

3. What do you want to learn how to do? I want to learn to paint florals better.
    4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? I really do like to paint, even if I'm not good at it. I did one of those paint nights with friends one of my first nights out post-baby and it was SO much fun! DH got me an easel and supplies for my first mother's day. <3 I really want to take a class, but don't really have time. 
  • Options
    @sleepy33 those are amazing! How long do you think they'll take you?

• Options
    I finished this last night. 

It's not for the baby, obviously, but it's how I got through it taking so long to get pregnant again. It was a good mediation while I stabbed something thousands of times. 
  • Options

I am working on crocheting an elephant blanket. It is supposed to be for my niece.

A shawl

3. What do you want to learn how to do?

I'd love to learn how to knit too. I have mostly been doing crocheting

I made cross stitch numbers for our wedding tables! I am mostly self taught and dabble in a lot of different crafts. I just wish I had more time! I am so tired after work that focusing on patterns is not on my mind.

I have a stocking for my husband that I have been working on for years because I am so unmotivated lol it has become a running joke now
  • Options
    @k2k2tog no idea. I promised SO a sweater first, so I may not get them done before Xmas 

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    I had no idea this existed! 

1. What are you working on right now? I need to come up with a no soliciting sign to put on my front door. We recently moved to the neighborhood and I’m over the crazies ringing my doorbell.

2. What was the last thing you finished? I have a silhouette cameo, so I did a few signs for my friend and a couple of shirts. Since moving, I haven’t gotten back into anything yet.

3. What do you want to learn how to do? I’d love to get a heat press to be able to do more heat transfer vinyl projects

4. GTKY - tell us your crafting story! What is your favourite craft, why do you do it, how did you learn? I don’t know if I have a favorite craft necessarily, but I’d love to be better at crocheting! My mom and sister are awesome at it and makes it look so easy. I can do it, but nothing every turns out the way it should. I do love working with my cameo. In the past I’ve done some beading, which was fun as well as working with card stock/stamps. My aunt is super crafty and she had me join her on occasion. 
  • Options
    @sleepy33 do you have pattern for those stockings? I was asked to make some stuff for a silent auction in November and those would be perfect!!
  • Options
    I wish I was crafty. My form of art is photography so I'll just stalk this thread and list after all the beautiful things you ladies create. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    I'm planning to do a hot air balloon theme for this oneso nursery. The walls are already dark blue with white wainscoting, so I think brightly colored balloons of differing sizes will really pop. I'm typing all this here because I would like to get started on crocheting a blanket. I made an adorable star shaped one for my 9/16 babe, so I'd really like it to be balloon shaped (not square). I did a bit of googling last night, but came up empty handed. I'm hoping one of you ladies could point me in the right direction? The only lead I found was using a cross stitch pattern, making each square into a granny square. Does anyone have experience with this? Or perhaps better luck locating a pattern for me? I certainly don't mind paying for it. Thanks! 
  • Options
    @liliumstargazer13 I’m thinking your best bet would be taking like a doily pattern and blow it up. I googled it and just got a ton of images of crocheted hot air balloon mobiles and got super giddy and excited. Please make a hot air balloon mobile!! Lol
  • Options
    nopegoat said:
    I wish I was crafty. My form of art is photography so I'll just stalk this thread and list after all the beautiful things you ladies create. 
    Photography is art! I think it fits here.