May 2019 Moms
Options

Nesting--Too Soon?

5w3d here with my first pregnancy. If all goes well we will be turning my office into a nursery. Hubs and I ran to Lowe's today to get some paint samples to redo our basement, and on a whim we got three samples to try out for the office-to-nursery.

Anyone else feeling nesting urges already? Is it too soon to start working on projects like this?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Nesting--Too Soon?

• Options
    I have always waited. With our first we were in the process of buying a home, so I didn’t want to buy stuff and have to move it. Plus our condo was teeny! With my 2 & 3 I waited until after the anatomy scan, knowing everything was ok, and hoping to know the sex prior to setting up a nursery. Just my preference. 
  • Options
    I guess you can say I have.  But I've been deep cleaning everything. We won't be painting any rooms since this LO will share my sons room no matter what the sex is.
    Pregnancy #1 DD 08.30.2007
    Pregnancy #2 Natural Miscarriage at 6 weeks 03/2014 Due date 11/9/2014
    Pregnancy #3 DS 02.23.2015
    Pregnancy #4 Missed Miscarriage at 11 weeks 11/2018 Due date 5/22/2019
    Pregnancy #5 Positive test 12/11/2019 Due Date 8/17/2020

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We're still buried in renovation disorganization and I'm too nauseous to deal with the mess except in tiny little increments. Today we managed to move a dresser, do three loads of laundry (not folded, mind you), half clean and sweep the playroom and I'm calling it a win. But not nesting. I'm no where near nesting. 

We always have baby in our room for the first year or so, so I won't be setting up a nursery for a while. 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @k2k2tog I didn't fold any of my laundry either.

• Options
    Not nesting yet. Baby will be in our room until he/she is ready to share with DS (I don’t even know how that’s going to go). Since I don’t have a nursery to set up, I have some ideas of what I’d like to do in our bedroom to satisfy my future nesting urge but im
    purely in the thinking about it stage, not feeling the need to do anything yet. 

• Options
    We have to completely empty our spare bedroom upstairs for a nursery. DH wants to finish some of the space in our basement so we can move the stuff in the bedroom down there. I would like to do that but ultimately I dont think we will have the extra money to do that over the winter. I would like to get the bedroom tidied up so I can figured out a game plan. So I'm not quite nesting but I have been very productive around the house lately!
  • Options
    I'm pinning ideas away like crazy, but like last time, I think we'll wait til we are past 20 months before we start doing anything in the room itself. I'd especially like to wait to see if we can transition DS to a toddler bed so we can reuse his crib in the new nursery. 
  • Options
    poshspice said:
    I don’t think anything done at this point would be due to nesting urges, but more one’s personality type. It’s too early for actual nesting, TBH. That being said, I’m starting to plan out everything we need to get done, but we won’t start working on anything until we’ve had a successful anatomy scan. 20 weeks is plenty of time to get everything done. 
    Tbh, I think the urge to nest later on in pregnancy is also largely related to personality. I don’t think I can say I really did any nesting or felt such an urge with either of my previous pregnancies. 

DD1: June 2014 - VBM4lyfe
    DD2: October 2016
    DC3: coming May 2019

• Options
    @k2k2tog I had urges to nest later in my pregnancy with DD, but I was in so much pain, DH did all of our nesting for me 😂. He put together DD’s closet, painted her room, installed her new fan, put together all the furniture. Two days before I went into labor, though, I decided we needed to wash the dogs and I did a full groom myself on the little hairy one (39+ weeks pregnant). The next day I lost my mucus plug and DH went into full power nesting (not on orders, on his own!). He did the front and back yards and cleaned the entire house lol. It was great. The next day I went into real labor! It is hard to differentiate the nesting from the personality type, though. We’re definitely the plan ahead and be prepared types. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    k2k2tog said:
    poshspice said:
    I don’t think anything done at this point would be due to nesting urges, but more one’s personality type. It’s too early for actual nesting, TBH. That being said, I’m starting to plan out everything we need to get done, but we won’t start working on anything until we’ve had a successful anatomy scan. 20 weeks is plenty of time to get everything done. 
    Tbh, I think the urge to nest later on in pregnancy is also largely related to personality. I don’t think I can say I really did any nesting or felt such an urge with either of my previous pregnancies. 
    I agree.  I didnt nest with my daughter since I was 16. With my son I would say i nested a tiny bit.  My husband picked the paint color since he was a boy and painted his room. 

We didnt really decorate it very much either. 

With this pregnancy i just have mental checklist of ok how can I rearrange DS bedroom to fit this kid and what baby stuff do I still have that can be used.  We are on a shoestring budget with this kid. 

• Options
    I’ve definitely had the nesting urges! My parents have been living with us while they wait to close on their new house so we have to move the guest room and completely redo the room that will be the nursery. I’ve been saving tons of ideas on Pintrest so I can get started on my ideas when my parents finally move out. Can’t wait to get started!
  • Options
    I went kind of crazy my last pregnancy towards the end. I decided our apartment was too small (we had just moved) and we needed a house. I convinced H to look at one and I set up an appointment. The next day I came to my senses and cancelled it :lol:

• Options
    Not sure if I'm nesting or just really excited but I've been working on my registry since I got my BFP! Ha! I kind of feel like if you have the urge to do it now, do it now. You don't know how you'll feel toward the end and what if it doesn't come back! 😬
  • Options
    I emptied some cabinets and started some organizing ...so yup! 🤣
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    @anielsen22 yes!! That's exactly my thoughts to. If I'm in the mood to do a certain thing why not do it now and get it over with
  • Options
    I think SO is nesting lol. He went on a wild cleaning spree yesterday and he's full on obsessed with buying us a house. Meanwhile, I'm sat on the couch knitting and snacking like, go ahead baby.  :D

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    Last pregnancy I didn't start doing nursery stuff until about 20-24 weeks. I did various household things before that, although not in the first trimester. This time I'm reorganizing our closets so I have room for stuff and I did already take out my maternity clothes. Last time I felt like crap from 6-14 weeks and this is somewhat of an overhaul making room again since I still have a ton of nursing clothes in my closet (still BFing DD) so I'm going through and clearing out what I won't wear in the next 2 years of being pregnant and BFing to make room. With a toddler, I know I won't want to do this while feeling like crap. I'm literally counting down the days until I hit six weeks (not in a good way - in a "gotta get stuff done" way).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• Options
    Any of you early-nesters are free to come to my house and organize/unpack all the boxes.  We moved a month ago and still can't park in the garage due to boxes and that's not likely to change anytime soon!  :D:p
    Me: 35     DH: 37
    BFP: 1.6.16 | MC: 2.17.16
    BFP: 10.3.16 | CP: 10.11.16
    BFP: 12.14.16 | CP: 12.14.16
    BFP:  1.23.17 | EDD 10.6.17 -- DS born 10.7.17 <3
    BFP:  9.9.18 | EDD 5.23.19 -- DD born 5.24.19 <3
    BFP: 9.1.21 | MC 10.1.21
    BFP: 11.11.21 | EDD 7.24.22 

• Options
    @laeberge3 yes! We moved in August 17 into our first home and still can’t use the garage either! Glad I’m not alone! That’s on the to do list during the next week or two. Sorry I’m not more helpful! Haha! :D
  • Options
    7 weeks 5 days here, we may or may not have all of the new baby’s clothes coming in the mail today  :D 

Other than that we have everything we need except car seats and a double stroller. Which I also may or may not have already ordered the stroller wagon we’ll be using and I’m super obsessed with it. :D Car seats will wait til after the appointment today so I can get them on sale at Target. It is still super early but you can return things up to a year later at Target if they’re on your registry so we’ll be taking advantage of that. *TW* if we end up having a loss we will just save the baby clothes for next time and we will still use the wagon with just one kiddo so it should all work out fine either way.

Baby will be in our room for the first 6ish months at least so we don’t have to get a nursery ready.
  • Options
    I won't be nesting but I need to deep clean everything, DD just turned 2 and she is room sharing with us. First I'll need to transition her to her own room (and set that up) and then prepare the space for baby2. I'll be sad to see DD go into another room though
  • Options
    I probably won’t be “nesting” until after our anatomy scan. However, we haven’t done as many projects on the house in the past couple of years, so we’re getting some quotes for replacing our French doors, painting, and new bathroom mirrors. That’s been a long time needing to be done though. I definitely feel more motivated now to declutter, organize, and get things done that need to be done though! 
  • Options
    @ashleaf2018 holy cow you're almost already all done! That's got to be a record or something. 
    @cikcikpolicnik omg DH husband was just talking about transitioning DD to the other room during the next long weekend. Im so not ready. 

• Options
    @expandcontract haha same! I think I will hold out until after christmas to switch her over